MONENSIN, LASALOCID, IONOPHORE TOXICITY IN DOGS
 
Description    Dogs that ingested the drugs monensin or lasalocid developed toxic myopathy. This has been caused by contaminated dog food or by ingestion of monensin products meant for cattle. Signs developed about 6-hours to 2-weeks after food exposure; serum levels of muscle enzymes were very high. Removal of contaminaed food from the diet was followed by recovery in mild cases.
 
Species   Canine
 
Signs   Abnormal forelimb reflexes, Abnormal hindlimb reflexes, Abnormal pupillary response to light, Anisocoria, Anorexia, Ataxia, Decreased amount of stools, absent feces, constipation, Diarrhea, Dullness, Dysmetria, Dyspnea, Dysuria, Excessive salivation, Fecal incontinence, Forelimb weakness, Generalized weakness, Inability to stand, Increased respiratory rate, Muscle hypotonia, Paraparesis, Red or brown urine, Tetraparesis, Tongue weakness, Urinary incontinence
 
References   Lee JA. Emergency Management and Treatment of the Poisoned Small Animal Patient. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice 2013;43:757771 [Web Reference]
Segev G et al. Accidental poisoning of 17 dogs with lasalocid. Vet Rec 2004;155:174-176
Espino L et al. Suspected lasalocid poisoning in three dogs. Vet Human Toxicol 2003;45:241-242
Condon FP, McKenzie RA. Fatal monensin toxicity in a dog after chewing a bovine intra-ruminal slow-release device. Aust Vet Practit 2003;32:179-180
Copyright © 2014 Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine