METALDEHYDE SNAIL BAIT TOXICITY IN DOGS AND CATS
 
Description    Metaldehyde is an active ingredient in products for control of snails and slugs. Metaldehyde toxicity results in central nervous system stimulation by an unknown mechanism of action. Onset of clinical signs is reported to be from 15 minutes to approximately 24 hours after ingestion.
 
Species   Canine, Feline
 
Signs   Abnormal behavior, aggression, changing habits, Ataxia, Back spasms, Blindness, Bradycardia, Coma, Congestion oral mucous membranes, Cyanosis, Decreased respiratory rate, Dehydration, Diarrhea, Dullness, Dysmetria, Dyspnea, Excessive salivation, Excitement, Fever, Forelimb spasms, Generalized weakness, Head, face, neck spasms, Hematuria, Hindlimb spasms, Hyperesthesia, Icterus, Inability to stand, Increased respiratory rate, Miosis, Mydriasis, Nystagmus, Opisthotonus, Pale, Red or brown urine, Seizures or syncope, Sudden death, Tachycardia, Trembling, Tremor, Vomiting or regurgitation
 
References   Cowan V. Characterizing 1341 cases of veterinary toxicoses confirmed in western Canada: A 16-year retrospective study. Can Vet J 2016;57:53 [Web Reference]
Buhl KJ. Reports of metaldehyde and iron phosphate exposures in animals and characterization of suspected iron toxicosis in dogs. JAVMA 2013;242:1244 [Web Reference]
Bates NS. Suspected metaldehyde slug bait poisoning in dogs: a retrospective analysis of cases reported to the Veterinary Poisons Information Service. Vet Rec 2012;171:324 [Web Reference]
Luiz JA. Five common toxins ingested by dogs and cats. Comp Cont Ed Pract Vet 2008;30:578
Copyright © 2017 Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine