METALDEHYDE TOXICITY IN BIRDS
 
Description    Metaldehyde is an active ingredient in products designed for control of snails and slugs. Metaldehyde toxicity results in central nervous system stimulation. Onset of clinical signs is reported to be from 15-minutes to approximately 24-hours after ingestion. There are a few reports of toxicosis of birds due to this agent.
 
Species   Avian
 
Signs   Ataxia, Dullness, Dysmetria, Dyspnea, Hyperesthesia, Increased mortality in flocks of birds, Increased respiratory rate, Opisthotonus, Ruffled, ruffling of the feathers, Sudden death, Torticollis, Trembling, Tremor
 
References   Dolder LK. Metaldehyde toxicosis. Vet Med 2003;98:213-215
Andreasen JR Jr. Metaldehyde toxicosis in ducklings. J Vet Diagn Invest 1993;5:500
Copyright © 2017 Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine