ACORN, OAK, QUERCUS, POISONING IN HORSES
 
Description    Ingestion of the blossoms, buds, leaves, stems and acorns of several species of Oak (QUERCUS sp.) can damage the renal, gastrointestinal and other systems in horses; young leaves and acorns are especially toxic.
 
Species   Equine
 
Signs   Anorexia, Bloody stools, feces, hematochezia, Colic, Decreased amount of stools, absent feces, constipation, Dehydration, Diarrhea, Dullness, Dyspnea, Excessive salivation, Generalized weakness, Hemoglobinuria or myoglobinuria, Increased borborygmi, Increased respiratory rate, Melena or occult blood in feces, stools, Mucous, mucoid stools, feces, Palpable dilated bowel, Polyuria, Red or brown urine, Skin edema, Sudden death, Tachycardia, Tenesmus, Trembling, Tremor
 
References   Smith S. Suspected acorn toxicity in nine horses. EVJ 2015;47:568 [Web Reference]
Copyright © 2017 Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine