MERCURY TOXICITY IN HORSES
 
Description    Ingestion by horses of mercury-treated seed grains was followed by loss of body, mane and tail hair, with normal hooves and slight skin scurfiness. Signs of chronic mercury toxicosis include weight loss and progressive renal disease. Acute toxicosis causes ulcerative gastroenteritis and can cause acute renal failure. Has also been reported following application of mercuric blisters.
 
Species   Equine
 
Signs   Alopecia, Anorexia, Colic, Congestion oral mucous membranes, Decreased borborygmi, Dehydration, Diarrhea, Dryness oral mucosa, Dullness, Fever, Forelimb lameness, Generalized lameness or stiffness, Generalized weakness, Hindlimb lameness, Inability to stand, Increased frequency of urination, Oral mucosal ulcers, vesicles, Prolonged capillary refill time, Skin edema, Skin scales, Tachycardia, Tenesmus, Tongue ulcers, vesicles, Underweight, poor condition, thin, emaciated, unthriftiness, ill thrift, Weak pulse, Weight loss
 
References   Paterson S. A practical approach to equine dermatology. In Pract 2013;35:190 [Web Reference]
Castell SW. Metal toxicosis in horses. Vet Clin N A Eq Pract 2002;17:517
Guglick MA. Mercury toxicosis caused by ingestion of a blistering compound in a horse. JAVMA 1995;206:210
Copyright © 2017 Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine