METALDEHYDE TOXICITY IN RUMINANTS
 
Description    Metaldehyde is the active ingredient in products designed for control of snails and slugs. Metaldehyde toxicity results in central nervous system stimulation by an unknown mechanism of action. Onset of clinical signs is reported to be from 15 minutes to approximately 24 hours after ingestion.
 
Species   Bovine, Caprine, Ovine
 
Signs   Ataxia, Blindness, Cyanosis, Diarrhea, Dysmetria, Dyspnea, Excessive salivation, Excitement, Fever, Grinding teeth, Head pressing, Increased respiratory rate, Nystagmus, Seizures or syncope, Sudden death, Tetany, Trembling, Tremor
 
References   Niles GA. Toxicoses of the Ruminant Nervous System. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract 2017;33:111 [Web Reference]
Copyright © 2017 Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine