METALDEHYDE TOXICITY IN HORSES
 
Description    Metaldehyde is an active ingredient in products designed for control of snails and slugs. Metaldehyde toxicity results in central nervous system stimulation by an unknown mechanism of action. Onset of clinical signs is reported to be from 15 minutes to approximately 24 hours after ingestion. Ingestion of slug-bait metaldehyde by horses has been followed by sometimes-fatal toxicity.
 
Species   Equine
 
Signs   Abnormal behavior, aggression, changing habits, Ataxia, Dysmetria, Dyspnea, Excitement, Hyperesthesia, Increased respiratory rate, Seizures or syncope, Sweating, Tachycardia, Tetany, Trembling, Tremor, Weak pulse
 
References   Nagy AL. Long-established and emerging pesticide poisoning in horses. Equine Vet Educ 2018;Jan [Web Reference]
Copyright © 2018 Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine