Neutrophil Function tests
Although inherited neutrophil dysfunctions have not been described in the horse, they should still be considered in recurrent dermatitis or cutaneous abscesses caused by opportunistic or encapsulate bacteria (Serratia ssp., Streptococcus ssp.), or fungi (Candida spp).
Immunological testing in horses:
- serum immunoglobulin concentrations (IgG, IgM, IgA);
- pre- and post-vaccination serum tetanus toxoid or pneumococcal antibody titers;
- peripheral blood lymphocyte phenotyping;
- peripheral blood lymphocyte proliferation;
- peripheral blood neutrophil function (oxidative burst activity).