Senior Extension Associate
Veterinary Support Services
Animal Health Diagnostic Center
Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
A1-224 NYS Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
240 Farrier Road
Ithaca, NY 14853
phone: 607-253-4472; e-mail: emb54 @cornell.edu
I am a Senior Extension Associate in the Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Science at Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. I have been a wildlife and zoo veterinarian since 1999, working in a variety of settings including zoos, wildlife clinics and private practice. After completing a zoo and wildlife residency at Cornell, I began working with the New York State DEC and my colleague Krysten Schuler to design and build a comprehensive statewide wildlife health program. Our program works to develop high quality scientific information about disease ecology in wildlife species through surveillance and research, with the goal of protecting and sustaining future wildlife populations. My research is broadly collaborative, applied, and typically driven by the need to problem solve a pressing real world issue- like improving release survival in captive reared endangered salamanders, investigating the potential impact of a newly discovered retrovirus on wild turkeys, reducing mortality from heavy metals and rodenticides in raptors, or developing new diagnostic tools for identifying pathogens in amphibians.
- 1997 VMD, University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
- 1987 BA, University of Pennsylvania, College of Arts and Sciences
- 2010 - Present Senior Extension Associate, Cornell University, NYS Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ithaca, NY, USA.
- 2010 - Present Wildlife Veterinarian, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, Albany, NY, USA.
- 2003 - 2008 Clinical Resident in Zoo, Exotic and Wildlife Medicine, Cornell University, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ithaca, NY, USA.
- 2001 - 2006 Adjunct Assistant Professor of Special Species Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, School of Veterinary Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
- 1999 - 2003 Volunteer; Relief Veterinarian, Philadelphia Zoological Garden, Dept. of Animal Health, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
- 1997 - 2002 Veterinary Associate, Tri-State Bird Rescue and Research, Newark, DE, USA.
- Strategic Planning Committees: Wildlife Conservation and International Programs, Diversity, Curriculum, 2016-2017
- Wildlife Disease Association Conference Organizer and Host, 2016
- Wildlife Disease Association Conference Plenary Session Chair, 2016
- Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Admissions Committee 2014-present
- Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Committee on the Status of Faculty Women 2016-
- Parasitology Faculty Search Committee, Population Medicine and Diagnostic Science 2016
- Elizabeth M. Bunting, V.M.D., Kenneth W. Simpson, BVM&S, Ph.D., Dipl. A.C.V.I.M., Nora Berghoff, Dr.Med.Vet.Ph.D., Ned Place, M.D. Ph.D, Stephen V. Lamb, B.S., Valerie J. Salerno, B.S., Nicholas Hollingshead, M.E.M, Joseph J. Wakshlag, D.V.M. Ph.D., Dipl A.C.V.N., Dipl A.C.V.S.M.R., Noha Abou-Madi, D.V.M., M.Sc., Dipl. A.C.Z.M., and George V. Kollias, D.V.M., Ph.D., Dipl. A.C.Z.M. Establishing Reference Intervals for Cobalamin and Folate in Captive Tigers. (Panthera tigris). In progress. 2017.
- Alger, Katrina, Bunting, Elizabeth, Schuler, Krysten, Whipps, Christopher M. 2017. Risk Factors and Spatial Distribution of Lymphoproliferative Disease Virus (LPDV) in Wild Turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo) in New York State. Journal of Wildlife Disease. In press
- Theresa K Hattenrath-Lehmann; Robert J Ossiboff; Craig A Burnell; Carlton D Rauschenberg; Kevin Hynes; Russell L Burke; Elizabeth M Bunting; Kim Durham. 2017. The role of a PSP-producing Alexandrium bloom in an unprecedented diamondback terrapin (Malaclemys terrapin) mortality event in Flanders Bay, NY, USA. Toxicon. In press
- Schuler, Krysten, Wetterau, Alyssa, Bunting, Elizabeth, Mohammed, Hussni O. 2016.
Exploring Perceptions about Chronic Wasting Disease Risks among Wildlife And Agriculture Professionals and Stakeholders. Wildlife Society Bulletin. 40 (1): 32-40
- Jesse M. Thomas, Andrew B. Allison, Edward C. Holmes, Jamie E. Phillips, Elizabeth M. Bunting, Michael J. Yabsley, and Justin D. Brown. 2015. Molecular Surveillance for Lymphoproliferative Disease Virus in Wild Turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo) from the Eastern United States. PLoS ONE. 2015 Apr 21:10(4):e0122644
- Alger, Katrina, Bunting, Elizabeth, Schuler, Krysten, Jagne, Jarra, Whipps, Christopher. 2015. Diagnosing Lymphoproliferative Disease Virus in Live Wild Turkeys (Mealeagris gallopavo) using Whole Blood. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine. 46 (4): 806-814
- Nicholas Haley, Scott Carver, Laura Hoon-Hanks, Davin Henderson, Kristen Davenport, Elizabeth Bunting, Shawn Gray, Bruce Trindle, Judith Galeota, Ivy LeVan, Tracy Dubovos, Paul Shelton, and Edward Hoover. 2014. Detection of Chronic Wasting Disease in the lymph nodes of free-ranging cervids by real time quaking-induced conversion. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 52 (9): 3237-3243
- John J. Schaefer, Megan S. Kirchgessner, Christopher M. Whipps, Hussni O. Mohammed,
Elizabeth M. Bunting, and Susan E. Wade. 2013. Prevalence of antibodies to Toxoplasma gondii in white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) in New York State, USA. Journal of Wildlife Diseases: October 2013, Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 940-945.
- Bunting, E. M., Garner, M. M., Abou-Madi, N., Schmidt, R. E., Kollias, G. V. (2010). Proliferative thyroid lesions and hyperthyroidism in captive fishers (Martes pennanti). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine: 41 (2), 296-308.
- Bunting, E. M., Abou-Madi, N., Cox, S., Martin-Jimenez, T., Fox, H., Kollias, G. V. (2009). Evaluation of oral itraconazole administration in captive Humboldt penguins (Spheniscus humboldti). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine, 40 (3), 508-518.