James L. Catalfamo
Senior Research Associate - Retired
Comparative Coagulation Laboratory
Animal Health Diagnostic Center
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, New York 14853
Comparative hemostasis: animal models of hereditary bleeding disorders, physiology of blood platelet function; molecular pathogenesis of inherited platelet defects; development and validation of clinical diagnostic assays; identification of biomarker profiles predictive of hyper- or hypo- coagulation in animals.
- AAS 1968 HVCC, Troy NY- Medical Technology
- BS 1973 Union College, Schenectady NY – Biology
- MS 1975 Union Graduate College, Schenectady NY - Biochemistry
- PhD 1982 Union Graduate College, Schenectady NY- Life Sciences
Awards, Honors and Membership in Honorary Societies
- Sigma Xi
- Visiting Graduate Student Program, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of Pennsylvania, 1976-79
- Graduate Research Fellow (PhD program), Mobil Corporation, 1979-81
- Elected Fellow, International Academy of Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis, 2005
- U.S. Patents # 5,196,311, 5,202,264,and 5,830,709
- 1968-76 Union College, Schenectady NY Research Assistant
- 1976-79 University of Pennsylvania, Medical School, Philadelphia PA Research Specialist I
- 1979-81 Union College, Schenectady NY Adjunct Instructor, Biology
- 1981-86 Research Scientist I, Wadsworth Center for Laboratories and Research, NYS Department of Health, Albany NY
- 1986-94 Principal Investigator and Research Scientist II, Wadsworth Center for Laboratories and Research, Albany NY
- 1987-1992 Associate Director, Comparative Hematology, Wadsworth Center for Laboratories and Research, NYS Department of Health, Albany NY
- 1992-1994 Director Comparative Hematology, Wadsworth Center for Laboratories and Research NYS Department of Health, Albany NY
- 1988-1994 Director, Hemostasis Unit (Human Patient Diagnostic Service), Wadsworth Center for Laboratories and Research, NYS Department of Health, Albany NY
- 1985-1994 Assistant Professor, Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York, School of Public Health, Albany NY
- 1994-2009 Senior Research Associate and Director Comparative Coagulation Section, Animal Health Diagnostic Center - College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca NY
- 2003-2008 Section Head, Clinical and Analytical Services, Animal Health Diagnostic Center-College of Veterinary Medicine Cornell University Ithaca NY
- Helmond SE, Catalfamo JL, Brooks MB. Flow cytometric detection and procoagulant activity of circulating canine platelet-derived microparticles. 2013; Am J Vet Res.74 (2):207-15.
- Abdelgader AG, Al Momen AKM, Alhaider A, Brooks MB, Catalfamo JL, Al Haidari A, Hussain MF. Clotting factor VIII (FVIII) and thrombin generation in camel plasma: A comparative study with humans. Can Vet J. 2013 77(2):150-157.
- Brooks M, Etter K, Catalfamo J, Brisbin A, Bustamante C, Mezey J. A genome-wide linkage scan in German shepherd dogs localizes canine platelet procoagulant deficiency (Scott syndrome) to canine chromosome 27. Gene 2010;450:70-75
- MB Callan, FS Shofer, JL Catalfamo. 2009. Effects of Anticoagulant on pH, Ionized Calcium Concentration, and Platelet Aggregation in Canine Platelet Rich Plasma. Am J Vet Res.70(4):472-7.
- Brooks MB, Catalfamo JL, Etter K, Brisbin A and Bustamante CD. 2008. Exclusion of ABCA-1 as a candidate gene for canine Scott syndrome. J. Thomb. Haemost. 6(9):1608-1610.
- Garcia A, Marini RP, Catalfamo JL, Knox KA, Schauer DB, Rogers AB and Fox JG. 2008.Intravenous Shiga toxin 2 promotes enteritis and renal injury characterized by polymorphonuclear leukocyte infiltration and thrombosis in Dutch Belted rabbits. Microbes and infection 10:650-656.
- Boudreaux MK, Catalfamo JL, and Klok M. 2007. Calcium-diacylglycerol guanine nucleotide exchange factor 1 gene mutation associated with loss of function in canine platelets. Translational Research. 150:81-92.
- Brooks MB, Catalfamo, JL, Friese P, and Dale GL. 2007. Scott syndrome dogs have impaired coated-platelet formation and calcein-release but normal mitochondrial depolarization. J. Thromb. Haemost. 5:1972- 1974.
- Sabino EP, Erb HN, Catalfamo JL. 2006. Development of a collagen binding activity assay as a screening test for canine type 2 von Willebrand disease. Am J. Vet. Res. 67:242-249.
- Callan MB, Giger U, Catalfamo JL. 2005. Effect of desmopressin on von Willebrand factor multimers in Doberman Pinschers with type 1 von Willebrand disease. Am J. Vet Res. 66:861-867.
- Goree M, Catalfamo JL, Aber S, Boudreaux MK. 2005 Characterization of the mutations causing hemophilia B in domestic cats. J. Vet Intern Med.19:200-204.
- Patterson MM, Jackson LR, Brooks MB, Catalfamo JL. 2002. Type 3 von Willebrand’s disease in a Rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta) submitted Comparative Medicine 52:368-371.
- Brooks MB, Catalfamo JL, Brown HA, Ivanova P, Lovaglio J .2002. A hereditary bleeding disorder of dogs caused by a lack of platelet procoagulant activity. Blood. 99:2434-41.
- Fenton, II, JW, Jeske WP, Catalfamo JL, Brezniak DV, Moon DG, and Shen, GX. 2002. Statin drugs and dietary isoprenoids down-regulate protein prenylation in signal transduction and are antithrombotic and prothrombolytic agents. Biochemistry. 67:85-91.
- Boudreaux MK and Catalfamo JL. 2001. The Molecular and Genetic Basis for thrombasthenic thrombopathia in otterhounds. Am. J. Vet Res. 62:1797-1804.
- Lisciandro GR, Brooks M, and Catalfamo JL. 2000.Contact Factor Deficiency in a German Shorthaired Pointer without Clinical Evidence of Coagulopathy. J. Vet. Intern. Med. 14:308-310.
- Lominadze DG, Joshua IG, Catalfamo JL and Schuschke DA. 1998. Platelet thrombus formation in micro vessels of young spontaneously hypertensive rats. Clinical and Experimental Hypertension. 20: 917-938.
- Lominadze DG, Saari JT, Miller FN, Catalfamo JL, Percival SS and Schuschke DA. 1999. In Vitro platelet adhesion to endothelial cells at low shear rates during copper deficiency in rats. J. Trace Elements in Experimental Medicine.12:25-36.
- Gu W, Brooks M, Catalfamo J, Ray J and Ray K. 1999. Two distinct mutations cause severe hemophilia B in two unrelated canine Pedigrees. Thrombosis Haemostasis 82:1270-1275.
- Gookin JL, Brooks MB, Catalfamo JL, Bunch SE, and Munana, KR. 1997. Factor X deficiency in a cat. J. Am. Vet Med. Assoc. 211:576-579
- Lominadze DG, Saari JT, Miller FN, Catalfamo JL and Schuschke DA. 1997, Von Willebrand factor restores impaired platelet thrombogenesis in copper-deficient rats. Journal Nutrition. 127: 1320- 1327.
- Sugahara Y, Catalfamo J, Brooks M, Hitomi E, Bajaj P, and Kurachi K. 1996. Isolation and characterization of canine factor IX. Thrombosis Haemostasis 75: 450-455.
- Lominadze DG, Saari JT, Miller FN, Catalfamo JL, Justus DE, and Schuschke DA. 1996. Platelet aggregation and adhesion during dietary copper deficiency in rats. Thrombosis Haemostasis, 75: 630- 634.
- Brooks M, Raymond S and Catalfamo J. 1996. Severe recessive von Willebrand’s disease in German wirehaired pointers. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 209: 926-929.
- Brooks M, Raymond S and Catalfamo J. 1996. Plasma von Willebrand factor antigen concentration as predictor of von Willebrand’s status in German wirehaired pointers. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 209: 930-933.
- Sullivan PS, Grubbs ST, Olchowy TWJ, Andrews FM, White JG, Catalfamo JL, Dodd P, McDonald TP. 1994. Bleeding Diathesis Associated with Variant von Willebrand’s factor in a Simmental Calf. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 205:1763-1766.
- Brooks MB and Catalfamo JL. 1993. Buccal mucosa bleeding time is prolonged in canine models of primary haemostatic disorders. Thromb. Haemost. 70:777-780.
- Magro A, Bizios R, Catalfamo J, Blumenstock, F and Rudofsky U. 1992. Collagen-induced rat platelet reactivity is enhanced in whole blood in both the presence and absence of dense granule secretion. Thomb. Res. 68:345-356.
- Benson RE, Catalfamo JL, and Dodds WJ. 1992. A multi-species ELISA for von Willebrand factor. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 119:420-427.
- Benson RE, Catalfamo JL, Brook,M and Dodds WJ. 1991. A sensitive immunoassay for von Willebrand factor. J. Immunoassay 12: 371-390.
- Seifert PS, Catalfamo JL, and Dodds WJ. 1988 Complement C5a (desArg) generation in serum exposed to damaged aortic endothelium. Exp. Mol. Pathol. 48:216-225.
- Witting JL, Pouliott C, Catalfamo J, Fareed J, and Fenton II J. 1988. Thrombin inhibition with dipeptidyl argininals. Thromb. Res. 50:461-468.
- Catalfamo JL, Raymond SL, White JG, and Dodds WJ. 1986. Defective platelet-fibrinogen interaction in hereditary canine thrombopathia. Blood 67: 1568-1577.
- Boudreaux MK, Dodds WJ, Slauson D, and Catalfamo JL. 1986. Evidence for regulatory control of canine platelet phosphodiesterase. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 140:589-594.
- Boudreaux MK, Dodds WJ, Slauson D, and Catalfamo JL. 1986. Impaired cAMP metabolism associated with abnormal function of thrombopathic canine platelets. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 140:595-601.
- Seifert PS, Catalfamo JL, and Dodds WJ. 1986. Complement activation after aortic endothelial injury. Sem. Hemost. and Thromb. 12:280-283.
- Block E, Ahmad S, Catalfamo JL, Jain MK, and Apitz-Castro, R. 1986. Antithrombotic organsulfur compounds from garlic: structural, mechanistic and synthetic studies. J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 108:7045-7055.
- Zabinski MP, Raymond SL, and Catalfamo JL. 1984. Platelet adhesion to noncovalently immobilized collagen. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 103:236-245.
- Catalfamo JL, Frohlich MW, Martin WB, and Birecka H. 1982. Necines of alkaloids in Heliotropium species from Mexico and U.S.A. Phytochemistry 21:2677-2682.
- Catalfamo JL, Martin WB, and Birecka H. 1982. Accumulation of alkaloids and their necines in Heliotropium curassavicum, H. spathulatum and H. indicum. Phytochemistry 21:2669-2675.
- Birecka H, and Catalfamo JL. 1982. Incorporation of assimilated carbon into aminoalcohols of Heliotropium spathulatum. Phytochemistry 21:2645-2651.
- Catalfamo JL, Feinberg JH, Smith GW and Birecka H. 1978. Effect of gibberellic acid and ethylene on peroxidase in pea internodes. J. Exp. Botany. 29:347-358.
- Birecka H, Catalfamo JL, and Eisen RN. 1981. A sensitive method for detection and quantitative determination of pyrrolizidine alkaloids. Phytochemistry 20:343-344.
- Gasic GJ, Boettiger D, Catalfamo JL, Gasic TB and Stewart GJ. 1978. Aggregation of platelets and cell membrane vesiculation by rat cells transformed in vitro by Rous sarcoma virus. Cancer Res. 38:2950-2955.
- Birecka H, Urban P and Catalfamo JL. 1976. Cell isoperoxidases in sweet potato plants in relation to mechanical injury and ethylene. Plant Physiology. 57:74-79.
- Birecka H, Catalfamo JL, and Urban P. 1975. Cell wall and protoplast isoperoxidases in tobacco plants in relation to mechanical injury and infection with tobacco mosaic virus. Plant Physiology. 55:611-614.
- Birecka H, Catalfamo JL, and Garraway MO. 1975. Cell wall protoplast isoperoxidases of corn leaves in relation to cut injury and infection with Helminthosporium maydis. Plant Physiology. 55:607-610.
- Birecka H, Briber KA, and Catalfamo JL. 1973. Comparative studies on tobacco pith and sweet potato root isoperoxidases in relation to injury, IAA, and ethylene effects. Plant Physiology. 53:43-49.
(Book Chapters or Invited Reviews)
- Brooks MB and Catalfamo JL. 2013. Current Trends in Coagulation Disorders. Vet Clin North Am, Small Animal Practice, Clinical Pathology and Diagnostic Testing. (In Press).
- Catalfamo J and Stokol T (2011) Disorders of platelet function. In: Manual of Canine and Feline Haematology and Transfusion Medicine. 2nd edition. Day M, Kohn B, eds. British Small Animal Veterinary Association, Gloucester: UK.
- Brooks MB, Stokol T, Catalfamo JL. 2011 Comparative hemostasis: animal models and new hemostasis tests. Clin Lab Med.31(1):139-59.
- Brooks M and Catalfamo JL .2009. Platelet Dysfunction. In Kirk’s Current Veterinary Therapy (XIV). Editors: Bonagura JD and Twedt DC. Saunders Elsevier; St Louis, Missouri, pp.292-297.
- Boudreaux MK and Catalfamo JL, 2009. Platelet Biochemistry, Signal Transduction and Function In Schalm’s Veterinary Hematology, 6th edition.
- Brooks MK and Catalfamo JL, 2009. Von Willebrand Disease. In Schalm’s Veterinary Hematology, 6th edition.
- Brooks MB and Catalfamo JL. 2009. IMTP, VWF and Platelet Disorders. In: 7th Edition of Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine. Ettinger SJ, Feldman EC (eds) Saunders Elsevier; St Louis, Missouri.
- Catalfamo JL, Dodds WJ. 2000. Normal Platelet Function and Thrombopathias. In Schalm’s Veterinary Hematology, 5th edition. Editors, Feldman BF, Zinkl J, Jain NC. Williams and Wilkins, Media, PA.
- Brooks M and Catalfamo JL .2000. Platelet Dysfunction. In Kirk’s Current Veterinary Therapy (XIII). Editor: Bonagura JD, WD Saunders Co. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania pp.442-447.
- Catalfamo JL, and Dodds WJ. 1989. Isolation of platelets from laboratory animals. In: Platelets; Methods in Enzymology. Editor: J.J. Hawiger, Academic Press, New York, 169:27-34.
- Catalfamo JL, and Dodds, WJ. 1988. Inherited and acquired thrombopathias. In: Veterinary Clinics of North America. Editor: B.F. Feldman, W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 18:185-193.
- Catalfamo JL, and Dodds, WJ. 1988. Hereditary canine thrombopathia. In: Veterinary Clinics of North America. Editor: B.F. Feldman, W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 18:273-274
- Gasic GJ, Catalfamo JL, Gasic TB, and Avadolovic N. 1981. In vitro mechanism of platelet aggregation by purified plasma membrane vesicles shed by mouse 15901A tumor cells. In: Malignancy and the hemostatic system. Editors: M.B. Donati, J.F. Davidson, and S. Garattini. Raven Press, New York, pp. 27-35.
- Gasic GJ, Boettiger D, Catalfamo JL, Gasic TB, and Stewart GJ. 1978. Platelet interaction in malignancy and cell transformation: Functional and biochemical studies. In: Platelets: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Editors: G. deGaetano and S. Garattini. Raven Press, New York, pp. 447-455.