Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, New York 14853
- My original work was on dairy cows and calves: descriptive epidemiology, risk-factor analyses, and also long-term consequences of diseases.
I was Chief Editor of the journal, "Preventive Veterinary Medicine" for 20 years and have been Senior Associate Editor since then. So, I have considerable insight into "who is doing what, and where."
My current research role is primarily as a collaborator for issues of study design and analysis throughout the Veterinary College and also in the Department of Animal Sciences. At any given time, I am usually involved in 10 or 12 various applied projects (ranging from randomized clinical trials through retrospective studies; and for all kinds of animal species).
- B.S. - 1972 University of California, Davis
- DVM - 1974 University of California, Davis
- M.S. - 1976 University of Guelph - Ontario, Canada
- Ph.D. - 1979 University of Guelph - Ontario, Canada
- 1974-1975 - Internship in Large Animal Medicine; Ontario Veterinary College, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
- May 28-30, 1980 - "Decision-making in clinical medicine." Center for the Analysis of Health Practices, Harvard School of Public Health. Boston, MA.
Certifications and Licenses
- Listing of certifications and licenses not currently available
Honors and Awards
- BS with High Honors
- Lambda Chapter, Society of Phi Zeta
- Award of Recognition - Member, 1994. Association of Teachers of Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine (now, Association for Veterinary Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine)
- Calvin Schwabe Award for Lifetime Achievement in Veterinary Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, 2009. (Association for Veterinary Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine)
Research and Professional Experience
- July 1979 - June 1985 Assistant Professor of Epidemiology, Section of Epidemiology (Dept of Preventive Medicine) CUCVM
- July 1985-March 1993 Associate Professor of Epidemiology, Department of Preventive Medicine (7/85-3/93)
- April 1993 to present Professor of Epidemiology, Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences (4/93-present)
- July 1980 - present Courtesy Joint Appointment, Department of Animal Science
- April 15 - April 26, 1985 Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine - University of California, Davis
Professional Society Memberships
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Association for Veterinary Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine
Selected Professional Service
- Curriculum Committee; 1980-1982, 2001-2004
- Faculty Council of Representatives; 1982-1988
- Faculty Advisor to the Veterinary College Open House (annually, 1983-1989)
- Admissions Committee 1984-1987; 1994-2001 (Chairperson, 1995-1998); continued as folder reader to present
- General Committee; 1985-1994 (Chairperson, 1987-1994)
- College Research Council; 1986-1990
- Chief, Section of Epidemiology; 1987-90, 2001-2004, 2007-2010
- Editor-in-Chief, Preventive Veterinary Medicine, 1988-2008; Senior Associate Edtor, 2008-present
- Association for Veterinary Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, President-Elect, 1993-1995; President, 1995-1997
- International Management Committee, International Society for Veterinary Epidemiology and Economics; 1994-2003
- University Appeals Panel; 1996-2006
- Secretary of the College Faculty; 1997-2008
- Advisor, Cornell Women in Science Fund; 1997-present
- Member, Health Careers Program Advisory Panel (Cornell University); 1998-present
- Chairperson, Scientific Committee IXth International Symposium for Veterinary Epidemiology and Economics (ISVEE), (Breckenridge, Colorado, 2000); Member, Scientific Committee Xth ISVEE (Vina del Mar, Chile, 2003)
- Member, DVM/PhD Oversight Committee; CVM; 2001-2007
- Member, National Review Panel, National Phi Zeta Manuscript Competition; 2001-2006
- Member, Organizing Committee (and liaison to the CVM), Horses 2001 at Cornell (2000-01) (Conference April 7-8, 2001); Horses 2002 at Cornell (2001-2002).
- Member, Committee on the Status of Faculty Women; 2005-2007; 2012-2015 (Chairperson, 2005-2006)
Refereed Publications (2009 through Present) (of >360 available)
- Ainsworth, DM, M Matychak, CL Reyner, HN ERB, and JC Young. Effects of in vitro exposure to hay dust on the gene expression of cytokines and cell-surface receptors in primary bronchial epithelial cell cultures established from horses with chronic recurrent airway obstruction. Am J Vet Res 70: 365-372. 2009.
- Fischer*, BL, JW Ludders, M Asakawa, LA Fortier, SL Fubini, AJ Nixon, RM Radcliffe, and HN ERB. A comparison of epidural buprenorphine plus detomidine with morphine plus detomidine in horses undergoing bilateral stifle arthroscopy. Vet Anaesthesia Analges 16: 67-76. 2009.
- Little, AA, U Krotschek, DM Boothe, and HN ERB. Pharmacokinetics of buccal mucosal administration of fentanyl in a carboxymethylcellulose gel compared with IV administration in dogs. Vet Therapeutics 9: 201-211. 2009.
- Cohen, RD, DW Scott, and HN ERB. Prevalence, number and morphologic types of multinucleated histiocytic giant cells in equine inflammatory dermatoses: A retrospective light miscroscopic study of skin-biopsy specimens from 362 horses. Eq Vet J 41: 406-409. 2009.
- Freer*, SR, PV Scrivani, and HN ERB. Associations between cardiopulmonary variables and a cerebrospinal fluid flow-void sign in small-breed dogs. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 50: 360-363. 2009.
- Burton, AB, B Wagner, HN ERB, and DM Ainsworth. Serum interleukin-6 (IL-6) and IL-10 concentrations in normal and septic neonatal foals. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 132: 122-128. 2009.
- Cavatorta*, DJ, HN ERB, and MJBF Flaminio. Ex vivo generation of mature equine monocyte-derived dendritic cells. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 131: 259-267. 2009.
- Wagner, B, WH Miller, HN ERB, DP Lunn, and DF Antczak. Sensitization of skin mast cells with IgE antibodies to Culicoides allergens occurs frequently in clinically healthy horses. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 132: 53-61. 2009.
- Vogel*, JW, DW Scott, and HN ERB. The frequency of apoptotic keratinocytes in the feline epidermis: a retrospective light-microscopic study of skin-biopsy specimens from 327 cats with normal skin or inflammatory dermatoses. J Fel Med Surg 11: 963-969. 2009.
- Ludders, JW, H-M Palos, HN ERB, SV Lamb, SE Vincent, and RD Gleed. Plasma arginine vasopressin concentration in horses undergoing surgery for colic. J Vet Emerg Crit Care. 19: 528-535. 2009.
- Yasuda*, K, DW Scott, HN ERB, and SP McDonough. Prevalence of infiltrative lymphocytic mural folliculitis in equine inflammatory skin disease. Eq Vet J 41: 824-826. 2009.
- Rosenberg*, AS, DW Scott, HN ERB, and SP McDonough. Infiltrative lymphocytic mural folliculitis: a histopathological reaction pattern in skin-biopsy speicimens from cats with allergic skin disease. J Fel Med Surg 12: 80-85. 2010.
- Griffin*, JS, DW Scott, and HN ERB. The prevalence of apoptotic epidermal keratinocytes in eosinophilic dermatoses of the cat: a retrospective light-microscopic study of 145 skin-biopsy specimens. J Fel Med Surg12: 86-90. 2010.
- Brosnahan, MM, A Damiani, G van de Walle, H ERB, GA Perkins, and N Osterrieder. The effect of sdRNA treatment on experimental Herpesirus type 1 (EHV-1) infection in horses. Virus Res 147: 176-181. 2010.
- Russell*, DS, KM Rassnick, HN ERB, MM Vaughan, and SP McDonough. Immunohistochemical study of Vitamin D receptor expression in canine cutaneous mast cell tumors. J Comp Pathol 143: 223-226. 2010.
- Santos*, LCP, JW Ludders, HN ERB, KL Basher, P Kirch, and RD Gleed. Sedative and cardiorespiratory effects of dexmedetomidine and buprenorphine administered to cats via oral transmucosal or intramuscular routes. Vet Anaesthes Analges 37: 417-424. 2010.
- Martin-Flores, M, TM Mercure-McKenzie, L Campoy, HN ERB, JW Ludders, and R Gleed. Controlled reptrospective study of the effects of eyedrops containing phenylephrine hydrochloride and scopolamine hydrobromide on mean arterial blood pressure in anesthetized dogs. Am J Vet Res. 71: 1407-1412. 2010.
- Elia*, JB, HN ERB, and KA Houpt. Motivation for hay: Effects of a pelleted diet on behavior and physiology of horses. Physiol Behav. 101: 623-627. 2010.
- Bischoff, K, C Gaskill, HN ERB, JG Ebel, and J Hillebrandt. Comparison of two methods for blood lead analysis in cattle: graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrometry and LeadCare® II system. J Vet Diag Invest. 22: 729-733. 2010.
- Lamm*, CG, KL Bischoff, HN ERB, CL Guard, JR Hillebrandt, B Thompson, and BL Njaa. Trace mineral concentrations in dairy cattle with rupture of abdominal artery aneurysms. Bov Pract. 44:36-40. 2010.
- Krotschek, U, DM Boothe, AA Little, and HN ERB. Pharmacokinetics of buprenorphine in a sodium
carboxy-methylcellulose gel after buccal transmucosal administration in dogs. Vet Therapeutics. 11: E1-E8. 2010.
- Flory*, AB, KM Rassnick, HN ERB, LD Garrett, NC Northrup, KA Selting, BS Phillips, JE Locke, and JD Chretin. Evaluation of factors associated with second remission in dogs with lymphoma undergoing retreatment with a cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone chemotherapy protocol: 95 cases (2000-2007). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 238: 501-506. 2011.
- ERB, HN. Changing expectations: Do journals drive methodological changes? Should they? Prev Vet Med. 97: 165-174. 2011.
- Lee*, J, T Floyd, H ERB, and K Houpt. Preference and demand for exercise in stabled horses. Applied Anim Behav Sci. 130: 91-100. 2011.
- Boesch*, JM, JR Boulanger, PD Curtis, HN ERB, JW Ludders , MS Kraus, and RD Gleed. Biochemical variables in free-ranging white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginanus) following chemical immobilization in Clover traps or via ground darting. J Zoo Wildlife Med. 42: 18-28. 2011.
- Wagner, B, H Freer, A Rollins, and HN ERB. A fluorescent bead-based multiplex assay for the simultaneous detection of antibodies to B. burdorferi outer surface proteins in canine serum. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 40: 190-198. 2011
- ERB, HN. Prior probability (the pretest best guess) affects predictive values of diagnostic tests. Vet Clin Path 40: 154-158. 2011.
- Sharma*, A, MS Thompson, PV Scrivani, AE Yeager, NL Dykes, SR Freer, and HN ERB. Accuracy comparison of abdominal ultrasonography and radiography for diagnosing mechanical ileus in vomiting dogs. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 52: 248-255. 2011.
- de Mestre*, AM, D Hanlon, AP Adams, E Runcan, JC Leadbeater, HN ERB, CC Costa, D Miller, WR Allen, and DF Antczak. Functions of ectopically transplanted invasive horse trophoblast. Reproduction 141: 849-856. 2011.
- Wagner, B, C Wimer, H Freer, N Osterrieder, and HN ERB. Infection of peripheral blood mononuclear cells with neuropathogenic equine herpesvirus type-1 strain Ab4 reveals intact interferon- induction and induces suppression of anti-inflammatory interleukin-10 responses in comparison to other viral strains. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 143: 116-124. 2011.
- Malone*, EK, KM Rassnick, DB Bailey, MA Kiselow, and HN ERB. Comparison of two questionnaires to assess gastrointestinal toxicity in dogs and cats treated with chemotherapy. Vet Comp Oncol. 9: 225-231. 2011.
- Priest, H, S McDonough, H ERB, J Daddona, and T Stokol. Transferrin receptor expression in canine lymphoma. Vet Pathol. 48: 466-474. 2011.
- Santos*, L, JW Ludders, HN ERB, MM F lores, KL Basher, and PJ Kirch. A randomized, blinded, controlled trial of the antiemetic effect of ondansetron on dexmedetomidine-induced emesis in cats. Vet Anaesthes Analges. 38: 320-327. 2011.
- Whisher*, L, M Raum, L Pina, L Perez, H ERB, C Houpt, and K Houpt. Effects of environmental factors on cribbing activity by horses. Appl Anim Behav Sci. 135: 63-69. 2011.
- Wagner, B, H Freer, A Rollins, HN ERB, Z Lu, and Y Grohn. Development of a multiplex assay for detection of antibodies to Borrelia burgdorferi in horses and its validation using Bayesian and conventional statistical methods. Vet Immunol. 144: 374-381. 2011.
- Edginton*, HD, DW Scott, WH Miller, Jr, JS Griffen, and HN Erb. Efficacy of tetracycline and niacinamide for the treatment of superficial pemphigus (pemphigus foliaceus, pemphigus erythematosus) in 34 dogs (1995-2010). Jap J Vet Dermatol. 17: 241-246. 2011.
- Martin-Flores, M, EJ Lau, L Campoy, HN ERB, and RD Gleed. Twitch potentiation: a potential source of error during neuromuscular monitoring with acceleromyography in anesthetized dogs. Vet Anaesthes Analges. 38: 328-335. 2011.
- Keyerleber*, MA, TL Geiger, HN ERB, MS Thompson, and MC McEntee. Three-dimensional conformal versus non-graphic radiation treatment planning for apocrine gland adenocarcinoma of the anal sac in 18 dogs (2002-2007). Vet Comp Oncol. 10: 237-245. 2011.
- Bischoff, K B Thompson, HN ERB, WP Higgins, JG Ebel, and JR Hillebrandt. Declines in blood lead concentrations in clinically affected and unaffected cattle accidentally exposed to lead. J Vet Diag Invest. 24: 182-187. 2012.
- Schmidt*, DM, PV Scrivani, NL Dykes, RM Goldstein, HN ERB, and AP Reeves. Comparison of glomerular filtration rate determined by use of single-slice dynamic computed tomography and scintigraphy in cats. Am J Vet Res. 73: 463-469. 2012.
- Wagner, B, H Freer, A Rolliins, D Garcia-Tapia, HN ERB, C Earnhart, R Marconi, and P Meeus. Antibodies to Borrelia burgdorferi OspA, OspC, OspF and C6 antigens as markers for early and late infection in dogs. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 19: 527-535. 2012.
- Watters*, RD, N Schuring, HN ERB, YH Schukken, and DM Galton. The impact of premilking udder preparation on Holstein cows milked 3 times daily. J Dairy Sci. 95: 1170-1176. 2012.
- Campoy, L, MM Flores, RD Gleed, H ERB, and JW Ludders. Comparison of bupivacaine femoral and sciatic nerve block versus bupivacaine and morphine epidural for stifle surgery in dogs. Vet Anaesthes Analges. 39: 91-98. 2012.
- Wagner, B and HN ERB. Dogs and horses with antibodies to outer-surface protein 1 C as on-time sentinels for ticks infected with Borrelia burgdorferi in New York State in 2011. Prev. Vet. Med. 107: 275-279. 2012.
- Perkins, GA, HC den Bakker, AJ Burton, HN Erb, SP McDonough, PL McDonough, J Parker, RL Rosenthal, M Wiedmann, SE Dowd, and KW Simpson. Equine stomachs harbor an abundant and diverse mucosal microbota. Appl Environ Microbiol. 78: 2522-2532. 2012.
- Cavatorta*, DJ, HN ERB, and MJ Felippe. Activation-induced FoxP3 expression regulates cytokine production in conventional T cells stimulated with autologous dendritic cells.. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 19: 1583-1592. 2012.
- Paré*, MD, JW Ludders, H ERB, M Martin-Flores, RD Gleed, and L Campoy. Association of partial pressure of carbon dioxide in expired gas and arterial blood at three different ventilation states in apneic chickens (Gallus domesticus) during air sac insufflation anesthesia. Vet Anaesth Analges. 40: 245-256. 2013.
- Scott, DW, WH Miller, and HN ERB. Feline dermatology at Cornell University: 1,407 cases (1988-2003). J Fel Med Surg. 15: 307-316. 2013.
- Perkins, GP, GR Van de Walle, N Pusterla, HN ERB, and N Osterrieder. Evaluation of metaphylactic RNA interference to prevent equine herpesvirus type 1 infection in experimental herpesvirus myeloencephalopathy in horses. Am J Vet Res. 74: 248-256. 2013.
- Yasuda*, K, DW Scott, and HN Erb. Prevalence, number, and morphological types of multinucleated histiocytic giant cells in feline inflammatory dermatoses: A retrospective light-microscopic study of skin-biopsy specimens from 559 cats. Jpn J Vet Dermatol. 18:5-11. 2012
- Brosnahan*, M, HN ERB, GA Perkins, T Divers, A Borges, and K Osterrieder. Serum iron parameters and acute experimental EHV-1 infection in horses. J Vet Intern Med. (Accepted.)
- Scrivani PV, DJ Fletcher, SD Cooley, AJ Rosenblatt, and HN ERB. T2-weighted magnetic resonance imaging of optic nerve sheath diameter in dogs with or without suspected intracranial hypertension. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. (Accepted.)
- Haynes*, E, , HN ERB, and J Nevis. Statistical analysis of juvenile songbird rehabilitation success at Willowbrook Wildlife Center, Glen Ellyn, Illinois. J Wildlife Rehab. (Accepted.)
- Scrivani, PV and HN ERB. Study-design considerations for clinical research. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. (Accepted.)