Janet M. Scarlett
Professor of Epidemiology
Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, New York 14853
My research interests include risk factors for infectious diseases in animal shelters, health and behavioral effects of pediatric neutering, efficacy of spay/neuter programs in reducing shelter admissions, use of metrics to manage the health of animal shelter populations.
- BS Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 1971
- DVM Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 1972
- MPH University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 1975
- PhD University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 1983
“A case-control study of multiple sclerosis in Olmstead and Mower Counties, Minnesota”
Research and Professional Experience
- Founder and Director, Maddie’s Shelter Medicine Program at Cornell University, September 2008 – March 2013, Department of Population Medicine and
Diagnostic Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
- Professor, 2006 to present: Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
- Associate Professor, 1989-2006: Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Science (formerly in the Department of Clinical Sciences)
College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853
- Associate Dean of Student Services, September 1995 to February 1997: College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853
- Assistant Professor, 1982-1989: Department of Clinical Sciences (formerly in the Department of Preventive Medicine), College of Veterinary Medicine
- Assistant Professor (Teaching responsibilities only), 1981-1982: Veterinary Public Health Program, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota,
- Part-time Small Animal Practitioner, 1982: Blue Cross Animal Hospital, Lyndale Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Relief and Part-time Small Animal Practitioner, 1976-1980: South Hyland Veterinary Hospital, Old Shakopee Road, Bloomington, Minnesota
- Small Animal Practitioner, 1972-1974: Allen Animal Hospital, 1966 Farmington Road, Livonia, Michigan 48152
Honors and Awards
- SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Faculty Service, 2013
Professional Society Memberships
- Association of Shelter Veterinarians (2002 to present: Board Member 2002-2004)
- American Veterinary Medical Association (1972 to present)
- National Council of Pet Population Study and Policy (Alternate representative from
- The Alliance for Contraception in Cats and Dogs (2006)
- American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- Humane Society of the United States
Selected Publications: Companion Animal Welfare
- Scarlett, J.M., Saidla, J., Pollock, R.V.H. Source of acquisition as a risk factor for disease and death in pups. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 204:1906-1913, 1994.
- Salman, M., New, J., Scarlett, J.M., Kass, P., Ruch-Gallie, R., Hetts, S. Human and animal factors related to the relinquishment of dogs and cats in 12 selected animal shelters in the U.S.A. J Appl Anim Welf Sci 1:207-226, 1998.
- Scarlett, J.M., Salman, M., New, J., Kass, P. Reasons for relinquishment of pets in U.S. shelters: Lifestyle issues and allergies. J Appl Anim Welf Sci 2:41-57, 1999.
- New, J.C. Jr, Salman, M.D., Scarlett, J.M., Kass, P, Vaughn, J.A., Scherr, S., Kelch, W.J. The role of human housing factors in the relinquishment t of dogs and cats to animal shelter in the U.S.A. J Appl Anim Welf Sci 2:83-96, 1999.
- New, J.C., Salman, M.D., Scarlett, J.M., Kass, P.H., Gehrke, B., King, M., Hutchinson, J. Characteristics of shelter-relinquished animals and their owners compared with animals and their owners in U.S. pet-owning households. J Appl Anim Welf Sci 3:179-201, 2000.
- Salman, M., Hutchison, J., Ruch-Gallie, R., Kagan, L., New, J., Kass, P.H., Scarlett, J.M. Behavioral reasons for relinquishment of dogs and cats to 12 animal shelters J Appl Anim Welf Sci 3:93-106, 2000.
- Spain, C.V., Scarlett, J.M., Wade, S. McDonough, P. Prevalence of enteric zoonotic agents in cats less than 1 year of age in Central New York State. J Vet Intern Med 15:33-38, 2001.
- Kass, P.H., New, J.C., Scarlett, J.M., Salman, M.D. Understanding animal companion surplus in the United States: Relinquishment of nonadoptables to animal shelters for euthanasia. J Appl Anim Welf Sci 4:237-248, 2001.
- Scarlett, J.M., Salman, M.D., New, J.E., Kass, P.H. The role of veterinary practitioners in reducing dog and cat relinquishments and euthanasias. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 220:306-311, 2002.
- Spain, C.V., Scarlett, J.M., Cully, S.M. When to neuter dogs and cats: a survey of New York State veterinarians practices and beliefs. J Amer Anim Hosp Assoc 38:482-488, 2002.
- Spain, C.V., Scarlett, J.M., Houpt, K.A. Long-term risks and benefits of pediatric gonadectomy in cats. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 224:372-379, 2004.
- Spain, C.V., Scarlett, J.M., Houpt, K.A. Long-term risks and benefits of pediatric gonadectomy in dogs. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 224:380-387, 2004.
- New, J. C. Jr., Kelch, W.J., Hutchison, J.M., Salman, M.D., King, M., Scarlett, J.M., Kass, P.H. Birth and death rate estimates of cats and dogs in U.S. households and related factors. J Appl Anim Welf Sci, 7:229-41, 2004.
- Christiansen, E., Scarlett, J.M., Houpt, K.A. Aggressive behavior in adopted dogs that passed a temperament test Applied Anim Behav Sci, 106:85-95, 2007.
- Scarlett, J.M. Are you doing all you can to reduce euthanasia of healthy, adoptable pets (Editorial)? VetMed October: 638, 2007.
- Lord, L., Wittum, T.E., Scarlett, J.M. Use of group-randomized trials in pet population research. Prev Vet Med 82(3-4):167-175, 2007.
- Scarlett, J.M. Interface of epidemiology, pet population issues and policy. Prev Vet Med 86(3-4): 188-197, 2008.
- Looney, A.L., Bohling, M.W., Bushby, P.A. . . . Scarlett, J.M. The Association of Shelter Veterinarians veterinary medical care guidelines for spay-neuter programs. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 233: 74-86, 2008.
- Dinnage, J., Scarlett, J.M. Descriptive epidemiology of feline upper respiratory tract disease in an animal shelter J Feline Med Surg, 11: 817-825, 2009.
- Hayward, J.J., Dubovi, E.J., Scarlett, J.M., Janeczko, S., Holmes, E.C., Parrish, C.R.. Microevolution of canine influenza virus in shelters and its molecular epidemiology in the United States. Journal of Virology 84 (24):1236-45, 2010.
- Place, N.J., Hansen, B.S., Cheraskin, J.L., Cudney, S.E., Flanders, J.A., Newmark, A.D., Barry, B., Scarlett, J.M.. Measurement of serum anti-Mullerian hormone concentration in female dogs and cats before and after ovariohysterectomy. J of Vet Diag Invest 23:524-527, 2011.
- Scarlett, Janet, Johnston, Naomi. (2012) Impact of a subsidized spay neuter clinic on impoundments and euthanasias in a community shelter and on service and complaint calls to animal control. J Appl Anim Wel Sci 15:53-69.
- Markovich, J.E., Stucker, K.M., Carr, A., Harbison, C.E., Scarlett, J.M. Parrish, C.R. (2012) Effects of canine parvovirus strain variations on diagnostic test results and clinical management of enteritis in dogs. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 241: 1-7.