John J. Schaefer
Interim Director of Parasitology
Senior Extension Associate
Dept. of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, New York 14853
Tel: (607) 253-4328
My research interests are Protozoal and tick-borne diseases.
- Ph.D., Comparative Biomedical Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, May 2013
- M.S., Entomology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, March 2007.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, May 2000.
- B.A., Geology (at affiliated Bryn Mawr College), Haverford College, Haverford, PA. May 1989.
Honors and Awards
- Travel Grant to AAVLD Meeting in Greensboro, NC, 10/12
- Best student presentation in Acarology section at ESA Meeting, Indianapolis, IN, 12/06
- Graduate Research Associate, Cornell, 2008-2011
- IBM Watson Fellowship, Haverford College, 1985-1989
Professional Society Memberships
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Association of Veterinary Parasitologists
- Entomological Socisty of America
- Schaefer J.J., H.A. White, S.L. Schaaf, H.O. Mohammed, S.E. Wade. 2012. Chimeric protein A/G conjugate for detection and anti-Toxoplasma gondii immunoglobulin G in multiple animal species. J Vet Diagn Invest 24: 572-575..
Schaefer J.J., H.A. White, S.L. Schaaf, H.O. Mohammed, S.E. Wade. 2011. Modification of a commercial Toxoplasma gondii immunoglobulin G enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for use in multiple animal species. J Vet Diagn Invest 23: 297-301.
- McClure, J.C., M.L. Crothers, J.J. Schaefer, P.D. Stanley, G.R. Needham, S.A. Ewing, R.W. Stich. 2010. Efficacy of a doxycycline treatment regimen initiated during three different phases of experimental ehrlichiosis. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 54: 5012-5020.
- McClure, J.C., M.L. Crothers, J.J. Schaefer, P.D. Stanley, R.W. Stich. 2009. Rapid screening and cultivation of Ehrlichia canis from refrigerated carrier blood. Clinical Microbiol Infect 15: 72-73.
- Schaefer, J.J., J. Kahn, G.R. Needham, Y. Rikihisa, S.A. Ewing, R.W. Stich. 2008. Antibiotic clearance of Ehrlichia canis from dogs infected by intravenous inoculation of carrier blood. Annals of the New York Academy of Science 1149: 263-9.
- Stich, R.W., J.J. Schaefer, W. G. Bremer, G. R. Needham, S. Jittapalapong. 2008. Host surveys, ixodid tick biology and transmission scenarios as related to the tick-borne pathogen Ehrlichia canis. Veterinary Parasitology 158: 256-273.
- delos Santos, J.R., K. Boughan, W.G. Bremer, B. Rizzo, J.J. Schaefer, Y. Rikihisa, G.R. Needham, L.A. Capatini, D.E. Anderson, M. Oglesbee, S.A. Ewing, R.W. Stich. 2007. Experimental infection of dairy calves with Ehrlichia chaffeensis. Journal of Medical Microbiology 56: 1660-8.
- Schaefer, J.J., G.R. Needham, W.G. Bremer, Y. Rikihisa, S.A. Ewing and R.W. Stich. 2007 Tick acquisition of Ehrlichia canis from dogs treated with doxycycline hyclate. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 51: 3394-6.
- Jittapalapong, S., O. Rungphisutthipongse, S. Maruyama, J.J. Schaefer and R.W. Stich. 2006. Detection of Hepatozoon canis in stray dogs and cats in Bangkok, Thailand.
Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1081: 479–488.
- Bremer, W.G., J.J. Schaefer, E.R. Wagner, S.A. Ewing, Y. Rikihisa, G.R. Needham, S. Jittapalapong, D.L. Moore and R.W. Stich. 2005. Transstadial and intrastadial experimental transmission of Ehrlichia canis by male Rhipicephalus sanguineus. Veterinary Parasitology 131:95-105.