Veterinary Support Services
Animal Health Diagnostic Center
Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
A1-222 NYS Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
240 Farrier Road
Ithaca, NY 14853
- Ph.D Biological Sciences, Area of Study -Wildlife Sciences in 2006 from South Dakota State University, Brookings SD
- M.S. Wildlife and Fisheries Ecology in 2002 from
- Oklahoma State University, Stillwater OK
- B.S. Biological Sciences in 1998 from the University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame IN
- Infectious and parasitic diseases of free-ranging terrestrial wildlife
- Chronic Wasting Disease surveillance and response
- Disease risk assessment
- Geographic epidemiology
- Wildlife health database integration
- Wildlife health education
- 2013 Outstanding Professional, The New York State Chapter of The Wildlife Society
- 2010 USGS S.T.A.R. Award for authorship of Climate Change and Wildlife Health white paper
- 2008 The Wildlife Society Leadership Institute Participant
- Mathematical and Epidemiological Modeling of Endemic Infectious Disease: A Hands-on Workshop, Cornell University
- Geographic Epidemiology, University of Guelph
- Chemical Immobilization of Animals, Safe Capture International
- Basic Firearms Safety Training, US Geological Survey
- Remote Drug Delivery, Wind Cave National Park
- Wildlife Handling Techniques, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Basic Field Anesthesia Certification, National Park Service
- S-271 Interagency Helicopter Safety Training, National Park Service
- Adult, Child, and Infant CPR and First Aid, Red Cross
- Present: Wildlife Disease Ecologist, Extension Associate; Cornell University, Animal Health Diagnostic Center, Ithaca NY
- 2006-2011: Wildlife Disease Ecologist for the Field Investigation Team; U.S. Geological Survey, National Wildlife Health Center, Madison WI
- 2002-2006 Research Assistant, South Dakota State University, Brookings SD
- 1999-2002 Teaching Assistant, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater OK
- 1998-1999 Research Assistant II, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh PA
- Present: Numerous workshops for wildlife biologists on wildlife diseases and field investigation
- Present: Summer experiential learning program for Cornell veterinary students interested in wildlife health. Cornell Veterinary Investigator Program. Fourth-year veterinary student diagnostic instruction and rounds. Guest lecturer in Conservation Medicine VETMED 6735.
- 2006–2011: Clinical Instructor, University of Wisconsin Veterinary School. Lecturer in the Wildlife Disease courses and symposia. Madison WI
- 2003-2006: Guest Lectures on Wildlife Diseases for Wildlife Nutrition and Disease, Chronic Wasting Disease Surveillance for Large Mammal Ecology and Management, Home Range Analysis for Wildlife Research Design, Chemical Immobilization for Wildlife Management Laboratory; South Dakota State University, Brookings SD
- 2006: Instructor for Environmental Conservation WL110 at South Dakota State University, Brookings SD
- 2000-2002 Teaching Assistant for Animal Biology Laboratory; Oklahoma State University, Stillwater OK
- 1999-2000 Teaching Assistant for Introductory Biology, Inquiry-Based Laboratory; Oklahoma State University, Stillwater OK
- American Society of Mammalogists
- The Wildlife Society
- Wildlife Disease Association
- The Wildlife Society Wildlife Disease Working Group Executive Board
- Host – Wildlife Disease Association International Meeting 2016
- Database Taskforce Committee – Animal Health Diagnostic Center, Cornell University
- Schuler, K. L., G. M. Schroeder, J. A. Jenks, and J. G. Kie. 2013. Ad-hoc smoothing parameter performance in kernel estimates of GPS-derived home ranges. Wildlife Biology. In press.
- White, C. L., K. L. Schuler, N. Thomas, J. Webb. 2013. Pathogen exposure and blood chemistry in the Washington State population of northern sea otters. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 49(4):887-899.
- Bildfell, R. J., W. K. Rumbeiha, K. L. Schuler, C. U. Meteyer, P. L. Wolff, and C. M. Gillin. 2013. A review of zinc phosphide toxicosis in wild geese (Branta spp.) in Oregon (2004-2011). Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation.
- Schuler, K. L. D. E. Green, A. E. Justice-Allen, R. Jaffe, M. Cunningham, N. J. Thomas, M. G. Spaulding, and H. S. Ip. 2012. Expansion of an exotic species and concomitant disease outbreaks: pigeon paramyxovirus in free-ranging Eurasian collared doves. EcoHealth. DOI: 10.1007/s10393-012-0758-6.
- Burco, J., A. M. Myers, K. L. Schuler, and C. Gillin. 2012. Acute lead toxicosis via ingestion of spent ammunition in a free-ranging cougar (Puma concolor). The Journal of Wildlife Diseases 48(1):216-210.
- Russell, D. M., C. S. Goldberg, L. Sprague, L. P. Waits, D. E. Green, K. L. Schuler, E. B. Rosenblum. 2011. Ranavirus outbreaks in amphibian populations of northern Idaho. Herpetological Review 42:223-225.
- Schuler, K. L., D. M. Leslie, Jr., J. H. Shaw, and E. J. Maichak. 2006. Temporal-spatial distribution of bison (Bos bison) in a tallgrass prairie fire mosaic. Journal of Mammalogy 87(3):539-544.
- Schuler, K. L., J. A. Jenks, C. S. DePerno, M. A. Wild, and C. S. Swanson. 2005. Tonsillar biopsy testing for chronic wasting disease: two approaches in deer. The Journal of Wildlife Diseases 41(4):820-824.
- Maichak, E. J. and K. L. Schuler. 2004. Applicability of viewshed analysis to wildlife population estimation. American Midland Naturalist 152(2):277-285.
- Maichak, E. J., K. L. Schuler, and M. E. Payton. 2004. Behavioral variation of bison on a tallgrass prairie. Prairie Naturalist 36(2):103-118.