Susan E. Wade
Animal Health Diagnostic Center
Dept. of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
PO Box 5786
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, New York 14852-5786
- B.A. - 1965 Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana, Major: Biology
- M.A. - 1975 SUNY College at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York, Major: Biology (Parasitology)
- Ph.D. - 1981 Cornell University, Ithaca, New York; Field: Veterinary Medicine; Major: Parasitology; Minors: Pathology and Medical Entomology
- 1972-1974 Graduate Teaching Assistantship in Biology - SUNY College at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
- 1966-1972 Science Instructor in Education Department (tours of exhibits, in museum and outdoor education classes, natural history talks to school and adult groups) - Buffalo Museum of Science, Buffalo, NY
- 1972-1975 Assistant in Department of Vertebrate Zoology - Buffalo Museum of Science, Buffalo, NY
- 1975-1979 Graduate Teaching and Research Assistantship in Parasitology, Pathology Department - College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 1981 Research Support Specialist in Parasitology, Dept. Preventive Medicine - College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 1982-1983 Technician, Automated Serology Section, Animal Health Diagnostic Laboratory - College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 1984-1989 Postdoctoral Research in Parasitology, Dept. Microbiology, Immunology, Parasitology (1987-1989), Dept. Preventive Medicine (1984-1987) - College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 1989-present Senior Research Associate II and Director, Parasitology Section, Animal Health Diagnostic Center - College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians
- American Society of Parasitologists
- American Society of Veterinary Parasitologists
- Helminthological Society of Washington
- Society of Protozoologists
- Wildlife Disease Association
- World Association for the Advancement of Veterinary Parasitology
- CALS Lyme Disease Task Force - 1989-1991
- Wildlife Conservation Committee, NYS Veterinary Medical Society - 1990-1991
- NYS Water Resources Institute Program Committee - 1993-1995
- Search committee for Senior Extension Associates and NYSCHAP Coordinator - 2001
- Wade, SE, WM Haschek, JR Georgi. 1979. Ostertagiosis in captive bison in New York State: Report of nine cases. Cornell Vet 69:198-205.
- Wade, SE, CA Bache, DJ Lisk. 1982. Cadmium accumulation by earthworms inhabiting municipal sludge-amended soil. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 28:557-560.
- Wade, SE 1982. Capillaria xenopodis sp.n. (Nematoda: Trichuroidea) from the epidermis of the South African Clawed Frog (Xenopus laevis Daudin). Proc Helm Soc Wash 49:86-92.
- Georgi, JR, SE Wade, DA Dean. 1986. Attrition and temporal distribution of Schistosoma mansoni and S. haematobium in laboratory mice. Parasitology 93:55-70.
- Georgi, JR., SE Wade, DA Dean. 1987. Schistosoma mansoni: Mechanism of attrition and routes of migration from lungs to hepatic portal system in the laboratory mouse. J Parasit. 73:706-711.
- Wade, SE and JR Georgi. 1987. Radiolabeling and autoradiographic tracing of Toxocara canis larvae in male mice. J Parasit. 73:116-120.
- Wade, SE and JR Georgi. 1988. Survival and reproduction of artificially fed cat fleas, Ctenocephalides felis Bouche' (Siphonaptera: Pulicidae). Jour Med Entomol 25:186-190.
- Kidder, JD, SE Wade, ME Richmond, SJ Schwager. 1989. Prevalence of patent Baylisascaris procyonis infection in raccoons (Procyon lotor) in Ithaca, New York. J Parasit. 75:870-874.
- Wade, SE, WI Anderson, JD Kidder. 1989. Eurytrema procyonis in a raccoon (Procyon lotor) from New York State - A first report. J Wild Dis 25:270-272.
- Nosanchuk, JS, SE Wade, M Landolf. 1995. Case report of and description of parasite in Mammomonogamus laryngeus (human syngamosis) infection. J Clin Micro 33:998-1000.
- Malek, S, DG Lindmark, EL Jarroll, S Wade, S Schaaf. 1996. Detection of selected enzyme activities in Cryptosporidium parvum. J Euk Microbiol 43:82S.
- Mohammed, HO, SE Wade, R Barwick. 1996. Improving the risk assessment in veterinary epidemiological studies: Cryptosporidiosis in cattle and leptospirosis in horses. Proc Soc Vet Epi Prev Med Glasgow, pages 20-35.
- Mohammed, HO, S Wade, M. Sanaa. 1998. Analysis of clustered data with binary outcomes: Giardia in dairy cattle. Epidemiol et sante anim 34:151-157
- Mohammed, HO, SE Wade, SL Schaaf. 1999. Risk factors associated with Cryptosporidium parvum infection in dairy cattle in southeastern New York State. Vet Parasitol 83:1-13
- Forest, TW, SP McDonough, S Wade. 1999. What=s your diagnosis? - Acute respiratory failure in a canary. Lab Animal 28:23-24
- Wade, SE, HO Mohammed, SL Schaaf. 2000. Epidemiologic study of Giardia sp. infection in dairy cattle in southeastern New York State. Vet Parasitol 89:11-21
- Wade, SE, HO Mohammed, SL Schaaf. 2000. Prevalence of Giardia sp., Cryptosporidium parvum, and Cryptosporidium muris (C. andersoni) in 109 dairy herds in southeastern New York State. Vet Parasitol 93:1-11
- Rosen, BH. 2000. Waterborne pathogens in agricultural watersheds. Contributions by R. Croft, ER Atwill, S. Stehman, SE Wade. Watershed Science Institute, USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, 61 pages
- Lindergard, G, SE Wade, S Schaaf, RS Barwick, HO Mohammed. 2001. Detection of Cryptosporidium oocysts in soil samples by enzyme-linked immunoassay. Vet Parasitol 94:163-176
- Nydam, DV, SE Wade, SL Schaaf, HO Mohammed. 2001. Number of Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts or Giardia spp. cysts shed by dairy calves after natural infection. Am J Vet Res. 62:1612-1615
- Spain, CV, JM Scarlett, SE Wade, P McDonough. 2001. Prevalence of enteric zoonotic agents in cats less than 1 year old in central New York State. J Vet Int Med. 15(1):33-38
- Lindergard, G, SE Wade, S Schaaf, RS Barwick, HO Mohammed. 2001. Detection of Cryptosporidium oocysts in soil samples by enzyme-linked immunoassay. Vet Parasitol. 94:163-176
- Rosen, BH. 2001. Waterborne pathogens in agricultural watersheds. Contributions by R. Croft, ER Atwill, S. Stehman, SE Wade. Reprinted by Natural Resource, Agriculture, and Engineering Service with permission of NRCS, 61 pages
- Warnick, LD, D. Nydam, A. Maciel, CL Guard, SE Wade. 2002. Udder cleft dermatitis and sarcoptic mange in a dairy herd. J Am Vet Med Assoc 221(2):273-276
- Van Keulen H, PT Macechko, S Wade, S Schaaf, PM Wallis, SL Erlandsen. 2002. The presence of human Giardia in domestic, farm and wild animals, and environmental samples suggests a zoonotic potential for giardiasis. Accepted. Veterinary Parasitology
Abstracts, Non-Peer Refereed Articles, Proceedings, and Posters
- Wade, SE, HO Mohammed, SL Schaaf - New York City Watershed Agricultural Program - Epidemiological Study of Giardia sp. and Cryptosporidium parvum in Dairy Cattle. Research Poster Session, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, March 21-22, 1996
- Stehman, SM, CA Rossiter, P McDonough, S Wade. Potential Pathogens in Manure. In: Animal Agriculture and the Environment: Nutrients, Pathogens, and Community Relations, Animal Agriculture and the Environment, North American Conference, Rochester, NY, Dec 11-13, 1996, pp. 47-55.
- Wade, SE, HO Mohammed, SL Schaaf, PE Ziegler. Epidemiologic Risk Assessment Study of Giardia and Cryptosporidium in Domestic and Wild Hosts in New York City Watershed - Program Guide and Abstracts of 73rd Annual Meeting of The American Society of Parasitologists, Kona, Hawaii, August 16-20, 1998
- Wade, SE, PE Ziegler, SL Schaaf. Preliminary Investigation of Giardia species and Cryptosporidium species in wildlife in the New York City Warershed. Final Report of three year project funder by New York City. pp 1-131 plus appendices A-D, 2000
- Nydam DV, SE Wade, HO Mohammed. Total number of Cryptosporidium oocysts or Giardia cysts shed by dairy calves following natural infection. American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Denver, CO. May 2001
- Nydam DV, SE Wade, HO Mohammed. Managing the risk of Cryptosporidium on dairy farms in watersheds. 34th Annual Conference of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners, Vancouver, BC. September 2001
- Warnick LD, DV Nydam, AE Maciel, CL Guard, SE Wade. Descriptive epidemiology of udder cleft dermatitis in a dairy herd with sarcoptic mange. 34th Annual Conference of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners, Vancouver, BC. September 2001
- Wade, SE, HO Mohammed, PE Ziegler, SL Schaaf. 2002. Epidemiologic risk analysis study of Giardia sp. in domestic and wild animals. In: Giardia: The Cosmopolitan Parasite, Olson, B., Olson, M., Wallis P. (eds.), CAB International, Wallingford, UK., Chap 13.
- Wade, SE. 2002. Fact Sheet on Giardia for an Animal Health and Production Compendium, CAB International, London, UK.