Mouse  

Advancing the health and well-being of animals and people


Registrar / Office of Student & Academic Services


S2009 Schurman Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853

phone: 607-253-3766
fax: 607-253-3709

cvmregistrar@cornell.edu

The Curriculum

The primary educational goal of the College of Veterinary Medicine is to prepare students for a lifetime of productive activity in the veterinary medicial profession. In order to achieve this objective, the faculty endeavor to:

  • provide each student with the knowledge and skills that form the foundation on which to build a career in the profession
  • foster critical thinking and scientific curiosity
  • inculcate a rigorous approach to problem solving
  • emphasize the scientific principles underlying veterinary medicine
  • foster habits of self-education and lifelong learning
  • stress preventative as well as curative medicine
  • promote ethical behavior and a sensitivity for the role of the veterinarian in society
  • provide each student with a broad general veterinarian education, but also the opportunity to pursue an area of interest from among the many opportunities available to veterinarians
  • teach students to recognize the limits of their skill and knowledge and to make effective use of additional resouces and expertise

The curriculum has been orgainized to accomplish these goals, both in the content of the courses and the process and instructional methods chosen.

The D.V.M. program at Cornell University is made up of two types of courses: Foundation and Distribution. All students take foundation courses at the same time in a prescribed order. Foundation courses account for approximately 70% of the credits required for graduation, reflecting the College's commitment to a broad, generalist veterinary education. Distribution courses make up the remaining 30% of the credits required for graduation and offer students an opportunity to pursue their individual interests through a system of structured choice.

Take a look at what your four years may look like.