Animal Health Diagnostic Center
Email: email@example.com; Phone: 607-253-4271
Sponsor: USDA-National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA)
Grant Number: 2012-37620-19769
Title: National Animal Health Laboratory Network
Project Amount: $166,000
Project Period: 08/15/13-08/14/14
DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This Grant provides funding for the maintenance and enhancement of the diagnostic capabilities of the Animal Health Diagnostic Center as a Core-level member of the National Animal Health Laboratory Network (NAHLN). The NAHLN was established as a collaboration of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service's (APHIS) National Veterinary Services Laboratories (NVSL), the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture, the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD), and State laboratory directors.
The NAHLN is part of a national strategy to meld the nation's Federal and State laboratory resources into a comprehensive network that would allow authorities to respond to any type of animal health emergency including bioterrorist events, newly emerging diseases, and foreign animal disease (FAD) agents that threaten the nation's food supply and public health. Elements of the NAHLN system include the following:
• standardized, rapid diagnostic techniques that can be used at the State, regional, and national level;
• secure communications, alert, and reporting systems;
• modern equipment and experienced personnel trained in the detection of emerging, foreign, and bioterrorist agents;
• national training, proficiency testing, and quality assurance;
• upgraded facilities meeting bio-containment and security requirements;
• scenario testing for the network and as part of larger exercises.