Submission Guidelines for SARS-CoV-2 Testing
This test is available upon request by veterinarians ONLY after approval by state animal and public health officials.
Submitters MUST follow instructions below.
How to submit a sample for SARS-CoV-2 testing after approval has been granted by state animal health officials:
- Disinfect the outside of collection tubes prior to packaging samples.
- Write large "F’s in black marker on all sides of the shipping box. Follow appropriate packing and shipping regulations.
- Email STATALERT@cornell.edu the night before or no later than 7am EST the day of expected sample delivery. The email must include the tracking number AND an attached electronic copy of the submission form with "COVID TEST" as the subject of the email.
- For hand-delivered samples, prior notification via email to STATALERT@cornell.edu is required and the samples must be packaged per shipping regulations above.
- Sample(s) must be received by 10:30am EST on the day of testing.
- For additional questions, call the AHDC main number (607-253-3900) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appropriate samples for SARS-CoV-2 testing:
A nasal swab, oropharyngeal swab, and rectal swab should EACH be collected in duplicate and placed in individual vials with 1-2mls of viral transport media. Duplicate samples are encouraged as presumptive positive SARS-CoV-2 samples at the AHDC must be forwarded to the USDA National Veterinary Service Laboratories (NVSL).
- Use polyester or rayon tipped swabs and flocked swabs. Do not use calcium alginate or cotton swabs.
- Place samples in an insulated box with freezer packs for overnight delivery.
- If viral transport media is not available, use 1-2mls of sterile saline.
- DO NOT place swabs in bacterial transport media
- DO NOT send dry swabs
- Swabs may be refrigerated for up to 72 hours, or frozen for longer term storage
Submit, if available, separated serum placed in a small, plain plastic tube (minimum volume 0.5 ml).
- For long term storage, separated serum may be frozen; otherwise refrigeration is appropriate
- Label each specimen with the animal identification, owner name, date collected and site swabbed.