We currently offer tick testing services to members of the Cornell community, veterinarians, and the general public. Ticks submitted together for one fee will be combined together for testing.
Cornell Affiliates - On hold until further notice
We currently offer discounted tick testing to members of the Cornell community (a Cornell NetID is required). Individuals can submit up to 6 ticks identified on/at a single source/location for identification for a single total price of $43. This fee includes all appropriate PCR testing.
Each submission must be accompanied by payment of $43 for up to 6 ticks, via credit card. For credit card payment please print and fill out the Credit Card Authorization Form and enclose with submission form in zipper-lock bag for paperwork.
Veterinarians should submit ticks (removed from animals) for testing using the standard AHDC general submission form. Payment arrangements are made for the veterinarian’s account. If this is a first time submission and an account has not previously been established, the laboratory medical records staff will contact the submitting veterinarian when the sample is received to establish account information for payment and by what method result reporting is preferred.
All submitted ticks will be identified by species. Please call the lab to request any PCR testing following tick identification.
- Fill out the standard AHDC general submission form and print a copy. Place the submission form in a separate zipper-lock bag.
- Up to 6 ticks removed from a single person/animal/environmental location may be submitted together for one fee.
General Public - On hold until further notice
Ticks can be submitted directly by individuals not affiliated with Cornell using our public submission form. Individuals can submit up to 6 ticks identified on/at a single source/location for identification for a single price of $100.00. This fee includes all appropriate PCR testing.
- Please fill out completely and print the public submission form and print a copy. Place the submission form in a separate zipper-lock bag.
- Submission must be accompanied by payment of $100.00 for up to 6 ticks from a single source/location, via credit card. For credit card payment please print and fill out the Credit Card Authorization Form and enclose with submission form in zipper-lock bag for paperwork.
Submission may be in person at our receiving department or by courier according to the following instructions:
- Place the bags containing the tick and the paperwork into an outer box and seal box with packing tape.
- Print the label for UN3373 Biological Substance, Category B (do not reduce the size of the image for printing); cut out the label along the dotted line and affix to outer box with clear packing tape. Routine shippers can substitute commercially available peel-and-stick versions of this required label.
Ship, using the appropriate address below for US Postal Service or other courier (UPS or FEDEX):
US Postal Service
Animal Health Diagnostic Center
PO Box 5786
Ithaca, NY 14852-5786
UPS or FEDEX
Animal Health Diagnostic Center
240 Farrier Rd.
Ithaca, NY 14853