Using the Facility
We ask that all new investigators complete and submit a cytometry request form, for either the Aria (cell sorter) or the LSR-II (analyzer) the first time they use the facility, for each project. Users with established protocols can just e-mail us with their experiment information. New users should estimate run time and prepare appropriate controls. If you have any questions please contact the lab manager whose info is in the right section of this page.
First, download Cytometry Request Form to your desktop.
- Use to download Adobe Form to your computer.
- Rename Form: Add month-year and Name (ie. Flow Cytometry Request Form - 01-2017 Chris Donahue)
- Complete Form, then click 'SUBMIT'. An e-mail with form attached will be automatically generated.
- Send e-mail.
Contact the Flow Cytometry Manager separately to request:
- Access to Data Folder
- Access to Flow Cytometry Calendar
- Flow Cytometry Training
This core facility does not currently support unassisted use of the Aria, but the LSR-II is user operated for data acquisition and analysis.
The Cytometry Request process involves a review and approval from EHS for BSL-2 samples. The policy of the laboratory to protect client samples against contamination is to not sort infectious microbes, non-eukaryotes or BSL-3 samples. The sorter will explicitly not take mycoplasma, cells infected with mycoplasma or any other infectious microorganism that can be released, bacteria, or yeast to minimize risk of cross contamination between clients. These restrictions apply to the sorter, but not the analyzer.
We currently are using Cornell's Outlook Calendar for scheduling time on our cytometers.
How to use Outlook Web App (OWA) to view a shared calendar:
- Log in to Outlook Web App (http://outlook.cornell.edu).
- In the Office 365 nav bar, click the app launcher icon (the nine dots at the left end of the red bar), then click Calendar.
- In the navigation pane on the left, right-click (Mac: or ctrl-click) Other calendars and select Open Calendar. A small Open Calendar dialog box will open.
- In the From directory field, enter flowcore . OWA will look for and display matches as you type. Select flowcore-lsrii or flowcore-aria, then click open. The cytometer’s calendar will be added to the PEOPLE'S CALENDAR section of the navigation pane, and their cytometer’s events will be added to your current view.
Training sessions for the LSR-II are 2 hours long ($80/hr) and are done on an individual basis to ensure the trainee has a full understanding of operating the instrument. Use the LSR calendar to reserve a time.
We require clients to schedule sorts in advance. All cancelations have to be made at least 24 hrs before the scheduled appointment or the appointment will be billed for the full scheduled number of hours.
Confirm your reservation via email, use the calendar to view the schedule.
Flow Cytometry Instrumentation Hourly Usage Rates
- There is a 1/2 hour sort set-up charge for sorting runs on the Aria.
- Accounts will be charged for the full reservation time if cancelations are not made 24 hours before the reservation time.
- Late arrivals will be charged for the entire reservation time and runs may be cut short if a run overlaps with another reservation.
- Aria cancelation fee 1 hour.
The facility is located on the 2nd floor of the Veterinary Research Tower, at the north end of the Ithaca, NY campus. The Veterinary Research Tower is located on east end of Tower Road. Enter the tower and take the stairs up to the 2nd floor. Turn right at the top of the stair, the Flow Core will be the third door on the left, room VRT T2 003. Cornell Maps can be found here.