Soil Fair @ Ag Day
Soil is the foundation of our food systems and our planet’s most biodiverse habitat. It also has a key part to play in humankind’s ability to mitigate and manage the process and effects of global warming.
Important as it is to our planet’s life support system, there is much to be learned about this vital but under-appreciated resource. The Cornell community and wider Ithaca area public are warmly invited to explore some of what’s happening at Cornell to advance our knowledge about soil, its life-sustaining qualities for a healthy future, and the various ways we can work to protect and support its vital role in our global agro-ecoystem. Join us at the Soil Fair that will be part of this year's Ag Day being organized by Alpha Zeta Cornell on the Ag Quad on Friday,, September 30, 9:00 to 4:30 p.m. Look for us on the Tsujimoto Plaza in front of Mann Library!
Programs, information tables and partners at the Fair will include:
- The Cornell Soil Health Lab - Why testing for soil health is important and how it can help you.
- New York Soil Health Initiative - A good part of NYS's future rides on our soil, and lots is happening across the state to protect this resource. Plus, cool t-shirts!
- Cornell Nutrient Analysis Laboratory: Cutting edge innovations for analyzing what's in your soil--pH is just the start!
- The Cornell Soil Monolith Collection - Every place in the world has a deep and consequential soil history, and soil monoliths tell that fascinating story.
- Soil3/Healthy Soils, Healthy Communities/Ag Soils of the City - Healthy soils help communities thrive, and these Cornell programs are leading the way.
- Soil Ecology - What thrives in a bin of rich compost? Come take a closer look at the fascinating hidden world of soil biota.
- Mycorrhizal Fungi - Underground habitats teem with symbiotic connections that we're just starting to uncover--lots to get excited about here.
- CU Dining Composting Program - Food scraps into sustainable food systems--Cornell Dining is on it, and you can help!
- Bio365 - Biochar + biology = healthy soils for sustainable farming, indoors and out.
- Urban Horticultural Institute - Greener urban environments need healthier soil--how do we get there?
- The Circular Bionutrient Economy - On the beauty and the power of not letting our liquid gold go to waste.
- Capro-X - Upcycling food waste into green bioproducts.
- Cornell Soil Science Minor - You too can make soil a part of your studies at Cornell--here's how!
- Sustainable Aquaculture - On the soil-water continuum!
- Soil is Life: Come find out what we mean by the theme behind the exhibits that have been on display at Mann Library since late spring. Frankly, we've fallen in love with dirt and we think you will too.