Patrick Mitchell, ScD
Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, NY 14853
- 2016, Sc.D., Epidemiology, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- 2013, S.M., Epidemiology, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- 2011, B.A., History of Science, History of Medicine, Yale University
- 2018 - present, Bioinformatics Analysist, Animal Health Diagnostic Center, Cornell University
- 2016 - 2018, Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer (Assigned to Pennsylvania Dept. of Health), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- 2012, Immunization Program Intern, Massachusetts Department of Public Health
- Stout AE, Hofmar-Glennon HG, André NM, Goodman LB, Anderson RR, Mitchell PK, Thompson BS, Lejeune M, Whittaker GR, Goodrich EL. “Infectious disease surveillance of apparently healthy horses at a multi-day show using a novel nanoscale real-time PCR panel.” Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation (2020).
- McAloose, D, M Laverack, L Wang, ML Killian, LC Caserta, F Yuan, PK Mitchell et al. et al. "From people to Panthera: Natural SARS-CoV-2 infection in tigers and lions at the Bronx Zoo." mBio 11, no. 5 (2020).
- Wang, L, PK Mitchell*, PP Calle, SL Bartlett, D McAloose, ML Killian*, F Yuan, Y Fang, LB Goodman, R Fredrickson, F Elvinger, K Terio, K Franzen, T Stuber, DG Diel, MK Torchetti. “Complete genome sequence of SARS-CoV-2 in a tiger from a U.S. zoological collection.” Microbiology Resource Announcements, 9, no. 22 (2020).
- Yuan, Q, SG Llanos-Soto, JL Gangloff-Kaufmann, JM Lampman, MJ Frye, MC Benedict, RL Tallmadge, PK Mitchell, RR Anderson, BD Chilson, BJ Stanhope, AR Jarvis, M Lejeune, RW Renshaw, M Laverack, EM Lamb, LB Goodman. "Active surveillance of pathogens from ticks collected in New York State suburban parks and schoolyards." Zoonoses and Public Health 67, no. 6 (2020).
- Cummings, KJ, PK Mitchell, LD Rodriguez-Rivera, LB Goodman. “Sequence analysis of Salmonella enterica isolates obtained from shelter dogs throughout Texas.” Veterinary Medicine and Science, (2020).
- Mitchell, PK, BD Chilson*, IEH Voorhees, D Rothenheber, RR Anderson, TH Chan, BR Wasik, EJ Dubovi, CR Parrish, LB Goodman. “Method comparison of targeted influenza A virus typing and whole genome sequencing from respiratory specimens of companion animals.” Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, in press.
- Tallmadge, RL, R Anderson, PK Mitchell, ZC Forbes, B Werner, G Gioia, P Moroni, A Glaser, AJ Thachil, and LB Goodman. "Characterization of a novel Mycoplasma cynos real-time PCR assay." Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation (2019): 1040638719890858.
- Tallmadge, RL, PK Mitchell*, R Anderson, R Franklin-Guild, and LB Goodman. "Whole-Genome Sequence of the Mycoplasma mucosicanis Type Strain." Microbiology Resource Announcements 8, no. 41 (2019): e00799-19.
- Ceric, O, GH Tyson, LB Goodman, PK Mitchell, Y Zhang, M Prarat, J Cui et al. "Enhancing the one health initiative by using whole genome sequencing to monitor antimicrobial resistance of animal pathogens: Vet-LIRN collaborative project with veterinary diagnostic laboratories in United States and Canada." BMC Veterinary Research 15, no. 1 (2019): 130.
- Mitchell, PK, T Azarian, NJ Croucher, A Callendrello, CM Thompson, SI Pelton, M Lipsitch, W Hanage. “Population Genomics of pneumococcal carriage in Massachusetts children following PCV-13 introduction.” Microbial Genomics 5, no. 2 (2019).
- Brooks, RB, PK Mitchell*, JR Miller, AM Vasquez, J Havlicek, H Lee, M Quinn et al. "Multistate Outbreak of Burkholderia cepacia Complex Bloodstream Infections after Exposure to Contaminated Saline Flush Syringes: United States, 2016–2017." Clinical Infectious Diseases 69, no. 3 (2019): 445-449.
- Mitchell, PK, L Mier-y-Teran-Romero, BJ Biggerstaff, MJ Delorey, M Aubry, V Cao-Lormeau, MJ Lozier, S Cauchemez, and MA Johansson. "Reassessing serosurvey-based estimates of the symptomatic proportion of Zika virus infections." American Journal of Epidemiology 188, no. 1 (2019): 206-213.
- Azarian, T, PK Mitchell, M Georgieva, CM Thompson, A Ghouila, AJ Pollard, A von Gottberg et al. "Global emergence and population dynamics of divergent serotype 3 CC180 pneumococci." PLoS Pathogens 14, no. 11 (2018): e1007438.
- Mitchell, PK, C Campbell, M Montgomery, J Paoline, L Posivak-Khouly, K Garafalo, M Elrod, L Liu, and A Weltman. “Travel-associated Melioidosis Case and Resulting Laboratory Exposures — Multiple States, 2016.” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 66, no. 37 (2017): 1001-1002.
- Andam, CP, PK Mitchell, A Callendrello, Q Chang, J Corander, C Chaguza, L McGee, BW Beall, and WP Hanage. "Genomic epidemiology of penicillin-nonsusceptible pneumococci with nonvaccine serotypes causing invasive disease in the United States." Journal of Clinical Microbiology 55, no. 4 (2017): 1104-1115.
- Mitchell, PK, M Lipsitch, and WP Hanage. "Carriage burden, multiple colonization and antibiotic pressure promote emergence of resistant vaccine escape pneumococci." Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 370, no. 1670 (2015): 20140342.
- Croucher, NJ, JA Finkelstein, SI Pelton, PK Mitchell, GM Lee, J Parkhill, SD Bentley, WP Hanage, and M Lipsitch. "Population genomics of post-vaccine changes in pneumococcal epidemiology." Nature Genetics 45, no. 6 (2013): 656-663.
- Salmaso, N, J Silbereis, M Komitova, PK Mitchell, K Chapman, LR. Ment, ML Schwartz, and FM Vaccarino. "Environmental enrichment increases the GFAP+ stem cell pool and reverses hypoxia-induced cognitive deficits in juvenile mice." The Journal of Neuroscience 32, no. 26 (2012): 8930-8939.
*Indicates equal contribution with first listed author