Skip to main content

International Students

Information for International Applicants

International students may compete for our non-NY State resident positions.  In addition to fulfilling all other requirements, those students whose undergraduate studies were not taught in English must have completed at least one year (30 semester credits) of undergraduate studies at an accredited college or university in the U.S. in order to be eligible.  International applicants must also submit a TOEFL score of at least 100 Internet based; 250 Computer based; or 600 Paper based or higher if educated in a country where English is not the first, official language.

Test of English For a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - International applicants will need to provide official documentation of the TOEFL score, sent directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS).  Cornell's College of Veterinary Medicines TOEFL College Code is 1510.

A score of 600 on the ‘Paper Based' test and 100 on the ‘Internet Based' test or higher is required.

Graduate Record Exam (GRE) - You will still need to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) verbal and quantitative sections. You can find out more information about the GRE's and register for the test at the Educational Testing Service (ETS).

Transcripts - All course work taken at a college outside the U.S. must have all credits and grades converted to the U.S. system.  There are a number of organizations that provide this service for a fee. Below find a few organizations that provide credential conversions. The International Credential Report is required and should be sent to VMCAS by September 15th deadline for all international applicants (including Canada).  Credential Reports should be sent to VMCAS with the exception of Canadian Colleges and Universities.  These should be sent directly to Cornell Veterinary College Admissions Office.

You will also need to have the transcripts translated if the course work is listed on official transcripts in a language other than English.

CEGEP diploma courses (Quebec)- The courses can be used for entry level prerequisites, but the grades and credits will not be used in the GPA calculations (cumulative, prerequisite, or science).

World Education Services, Inc.
Web Site:

American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers
Web Site:

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
Web Site:

International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
Web Site:

Student Visa

International students admitted and deposited into the DVM degree program will need to complete a "Certification of Finances" form and provide documentation of the ability to pay all four years.  Students are billed by semester like all students once the documentation is provided.  Once the form is received along with a copy of their passport, a student visa can be generated. 

Share this: