Graduate Research Award
Recognition of the importance of training veterinarians in scientific research and acknowledgement of the significant body of knowledge that veterinarians bring to research programs provide the impetus behind the Cornell Research Fellowship (DVM-GRA).
Through this Fellowship, the College expresses its commitment to providing educational opportunities to veterinarians who aspire to earn a PhD degree. This Fellowship is reserved for holders of the DVM degree (or equivalent) who wish to earn their PhD at Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. It provides 3.5 years of funding at a the NIH Post Doc level equivalent to admitted student's level of experience.
Highlights of the Cornell Research Fellow include the following:
- Dynamic research environment bringing together basic, translational and clinical scientists
- Nationally and internationally-renowned faculty and diverse faculty collaborations
- Unique research programs, curricula, and special committees best suited to your interests, talents, and future goals
- Access to world-class research facilities
- Exploration of research opportunities during the first academic year via three laboratories
- Teaching experience as a teaching assistant for one semester (more training available)
- All Cornell Research Fellows are required to submit an individual research training proposal to an external sponsor
- Opportunities for professional development and networking
- Five-year funding package: full tuition scholarship, student health insurance, and living stipend
- Varied and numerous graduate student activities, resources, and support services
- Funding from a variety of resources, including the College of Veterinary Medicine, mentor research grants, and unrestricted dollars; additional support from institutional training grants from the National Institutes of Health
External DVM seeking PhD applicants who are interested in applying must follow the application procedures specific to the Biological and Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program. The annual deadline is December 1. When submitting an application, please submit a current curriculum vitae and one copy of up to three of the most significant publications.
Internal DVM seeking PhD applicants applying for GRA funding must submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 1st annually: