Skip to main content

What to Do If You Find an Injured Animal

If you have found a native wild animal that you think may be injured or sick, contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitator in your area, or the Janet L. Swanson Wildlife Hospital. Wildlife rehabilitator contact information can be found at The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation website under Find a Wildlife Rehabilitator Near You. If you are able to do so safely, the animal can be assisted into a container (such as a box or pet carrier) and kept in a quiet, dark, warm area away from children and pets until it can be brought somewhere for care. Do not provide the animal with food or water unless specifically instructed by a wildlife professional. The Wildlife Health Hospital is unable to assist in the capture and transport of wildlife. 

If a young animal is thought to be an orphan and is not injured, it is best to leave it alone and allow the parents to care for it. Consultation with a wildlife rehabilitator or the Wildlife Hospital can help you determine if intervention is needed. 

The Wildlife Hospital does not accept rabies vector species (raccoons, skunks, bats) or large animals (adult deer, adult bear). 

Please contact us at (607) 253-3060 if you have an injured animal that needs our care. We accept patients 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.