Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
Assistant Research Professor
Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, NY 14853
- Infectious and parasitic diseases of free-ranging terrestrial wildlife
- Chronic Wasting Disease surveillance and response
- Disease risk assessment
- Geographic epidemiology
- Wildlife health database integration
- Wildlife health education
- Ph.D. Biological Sciences, Area of Study -Wildlife Sciences in 2006 from South Dakota State University, Brookings SD
- M.S. Wildlife and Fisheries Ecology in 2002 from Oklahoma State University, Stillwater OK
- B.S. Biological Sciences in 1998 from the University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame IN
- Present: Wildlife Disease Ecologist, Assistant Research Professor; Cornell University, Animal Health Diagnostic Center, Ithaca NY
- 2011-2019: Senior Extension Associate; Cornell University, Animal Health Diagnostic Center, Ithaca NY
- 2006-2011: Wildlife Disease Ecologist for the Field Investigation Team; U.S. Geological Survey, National Wildlife Health Center, Madison WI
- 2002-2006 Research Assistant, South Dakota State University, Brookings SD
- 1999-2002 Teaching Assistant, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater OK
- 1998-1999 Research Assistant II, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh PA
- Alger, K., E. Bunting, K. Schuler, and C. Whipps. 2017. Evaluating risk factors for lymphoproliferative disease virus (LPDV) in wild turkeys of New York State. The Journal of Wildlife Diseases. Accepted.
- Decker, D., K.L. Schuler, M.A. Wild, and A. Forstchen. 2016. Wildlife health and public trust responsibilities for wildlife resources. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 52:775-784. DOI: 10.7589/2016-03-066
- Lorch, J., S. Knowles, J. Lankton, K. Michell, J. Edwards, J. Kapfer, R. Staffen, E. Wild, K. Schmidt, A. Ballmann, D. Blodgett, T. Farrell, B. Glorioso, L. Last, S. Price, K. Schuler, C. Smith, J. Wellehan, Jr., D. Blehert. 2016. Snake Fungal Disease: An Emerging Threat to Wild Snakes. Submitted by invitation to Philosophical Transactions B. 371(1709). DOI:10.1098/rstb.2015.0457
- Justice-Allen, A., K. Orr, T. G. Schwan, K. Schuler, C. Meteyer, K. McCarty, and K. Jacobson. 2016. Bald eagle nestling mortality due to tick parasitism and successful management with nest replacement. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 52:940-944.
- Schuler, K. L, A. M. Wetterau, E. M. Bunting, and H. Mohammed. 2016. Exploring chronic wasting disease risk perception between wildlife and agriculture. Wildlife Society Bulletin 40(1):32–40; 2016; DOI: 10.1002/wsb.625
- Decker, D., C. Smith, A. Forstchen, D. Hare, E. Pomeranz, C. Doyle-Capitman, K. Schuler, and J. Organ. 2016. Governance principles to guide wildlife conservation in the 21st Century. Conservation Letters DOI: 10.1111/conl.12211
- Alger, K., E. Bunting, K. Schuler, J. Jagne, and C. Whipps. 2015. Diagnosing lymphoproliferative disease virus in live wild turkeys (Meleagris gallapavo) using whole blood. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 46:806-814.
- Evans, T. S., K. L. Schuler, and W. D. Walter. 2014. Surveillance and monitoring of white-tailed deer for chronic wasting disease in the northeastern United States. Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management 5(2): fwma-05-02-07.3d.
- Schuler, K. L. , G. Schroeder, J. A. Jenks, and J. G. Kie. 2014. Ad-hoc smoothing parameter performance in kernel estimates of GPS-derived home ranges. Wildlife Biology 20(5):259-266.
- White, C. L., K. L. Schuler, N. Thomas, J. Webb. 2013. Pathogen exposure and blood chemistry in the Washington State population of northern sea otters. Journal of Wildlife Diseases. 49(4):887-899. DOI: 10.7589/2013-03-053
- Bildfell, R. J., W. K. Rumbeiha, K. L. Schuler, C. U. Meteyer, P. L. Wolff, and C. M. Gillin. 2013. A review of zinc phosphide toxicosis in wild geese (Branta spp.) in Oregon (2004-2011). Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 25: 162-167. DOI:10.1177/1040638712472499
- Schuler, K. L. D. E. Green, A. E. Justice-Allen, R. Jaffe, M. Cunningham, N. J. Thomas, M. G. Spaulding, and H. S. Ip. 2012. Expansion of an exotic species and concomitant disease outbreaks: pigeon paramyxovirus in free-ranging Eurasian collared doves. EcoHealth. DOI: 10.1007/s10393-012-0758-6.
- Burco, J., A. M. Myers, K. L. Schuler, and C. Gillin. 2012. Acute lead toxicosis via ingestion of spent ammunition in a free-ranging cougar (Puma concolor). The Journal of Wildlife Diseases 48(1):216-210.
- Russell, D. M., C. S. Goldberg, L. Sprague, L. P. Waits, D. E. Green, K. L. Schuler, E. B. Rosenblum. 2011. Ranavirus outbreaks in amphibian populations of northern Idaho. Herpetological Review 42:223-225.
- Schuler, K. L., D. M. Leslie, Jr., J. H. Shaw, and E. J. Maichak. 2006. Temporal-spatial distribution of bison (Bos bison) in a tallgrass prairie fire mosaic. Journal of Mammalogy 87(3):539-544.
- Schuler, K. L., J. A. Jenks, C. S. DePerno, M. A. Wild, and C. S. Swanson. 2005. Tonsillar biopsy testing for chronic wasting disease: two approaches in deer. The Journal of Wildlife Diseases 41(4):820-824.
- Maichak, E. J. and K. L. Schuler. 2004. Applicability of viewshed analysis to wildlife population estimation. American Midland Naturalist 152(2):277-285.
- Maichak, E. J., K. L. Schuler, and M. E. Payton. 2004. Behavioral variation of bison on a tallgrass prairie. Prairie Naturalist 36(2):103-118.
Awards and Honors
- 2013 Outstanding Professional, The New York State Chapter of The Wildlife Society
- 2010 USGS S.T.A.R. Award for authorship of Climate Change and Wildlife Health white paper
- 2008 The Wildlife Society Leadership Institute Participant
- American Society of Mammalogists
- The Wildlife Society
- Wildlife Disease Association