Patrick L. McDonough
- B.S. - 1973 Albright College, Reading, PA (major: Biology)
- M.S. - 1976 Cornell University, Ithaca, NY (major: Bacteriology; minor Immunology)
- Ph.D. - 1985 Cornell University, Ithaca, NY (major: Bacteriology; minors: Immunology, Epidemiology)
- 1973-1975 Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant, Department of Veterinary Microbiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 1975-1979 Supervising Bacteriologist, Diagnostic Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 1979-1984 Graduate Research Asst. and PhD Candidate, Diagnostic Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 1984 Staff Microbiologist, Enteric Laboratory, Bureau of Laboratories, New York City Department of Health, New York, NY
- 1984-1986 Principal Bacteriologist and Head of Bacteriology and Mycology Laboratory, Division of Animal Health, New Jersey Dept of Agriculture, Trenton, NJ
- 1986-1989 Instructor and Section Chief of Microbiology, Department of Pathology, Division of Diagnostic Laboratories, Tufts New England School of Veterinary Medicine, Tufts University, Boston, MA
- 1989-1992 Senior Research Associate and Assistant Director-Bacteriology and Mycology Section, Diagnostic Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
- 1992-2005 Assistant Professor and Assistant Director-Bacteriology and Mycology Section, Diagnostic Center, Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Science, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
- 2005-present Assistant Professor and Director-Bacteriology and Mycology Section, Diagnostic Center, Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Science, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
- Wiedmann M, JL Bruce, R Knorr, M Bodis, E Cole, CI McDowell, PL McDonough, CA Batt. 1996. Ribotype diversity of Listeria monocytogenes strains associated with outbreaks of listeriosis in ruminants. J Clin Microbiol 34:1086-1090.
- McDonough PL, KW Simpson. 1996. Diagnosing emerging bacterial infections: salmonellosis, campylobacteriosis, clostridial toxicosis, and helicobacteriosis. In: RH Jacobson (ed) Laboratory Diagnosis of Infectious Disease: Interpretation of test results. Seminars in Veterinary Medicine and Surgery (Small Animal), 11:187-197.
- Barrow PA, M Desmidt, R Ducatelle, M Guittet, HMJF vander Heijden, PS Holt, JHJ Huis in't Velt, P McDonough, KV Nagaraja, RE Porter, K Proux, F Sisak, C Staak, G Steinbach, CJ Thorns, C Wray, F van Zijderveld. 1996. World Health Organization-supervised interlaboratory comparison of ELISAs for the serological detection of Salmonella enterica Serotype Enteritidis in chickens. Epidemiol Infect 117:69-77.
- Weidmann M, JL Bruce, C Keating, AE Johnsom, PL McDonough, CA Batt.1997. Ribotypes and virulence gene polymorphisms suggest three distinct Listeria monocytogenes lineages with differences in pathogenic potential. Infect Immun 65:2707-2716.
- Barwick RS, HO Mohammed, PL McDonough, ME White. 1997. Risk factors associated with the likelihood of Leptospira seropositivity in horses in the State of New York. Am J Vet Res 58:1097-1103.
- McDonough PL, RH Jacobson, JF Timoney, A Mutalib, DC Kradel, Y-F Chang, SJ Shin, DH Lein, S Trock, K Wheeler. 1998. Interpretations of Antibody Responses to Salmonella enterica Serotype Enteritidis gm-Flagellin in Poultry Flocks are Enhanced Using a Kinetics-ELISA (KELA). Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology 5: 550-555.
- Barwick RS, HO Mohammed, PL McDonough, ME White. 1998. Equine leptospirosis and the potential hazards to human health. Prev Med 36:153-165.
- Cornetta AM, KW Simpson, D Strauss-Ayali, PL McDonough, RD Gleed. 1998. Use of a 13C-urea breath test for detection of gastric infection with Helicobacter spp. in dogs. Am J Vet Res 59: 1364-1369.
- Hoskins JD, J Williams, AF Roy, JC Peters, P McDonough. 1998. Isolation and characterization of Bordetella bronchiseptica from cats in southern Louisiana. Vet Immunol and Immunopathol 65:173-176.
- Simpson KW, PL McDonough, D Straus-Ayali, YF Chang, P Harpending, BA Valentine. 1999. Helicobacter felis infection in dogs: effect on gastric structure and function. Vet Pathol 36:237-248.
- Strauss-Ayali D, KW Simpson, AH Schein, PL McDonough, RH Jacobson, BA Valentine, J Peacock. 1999. Gastric Helicobacter spp. - Serological discrimination of infected and uninfected dogs. J Clin Microbiol 37:1280-1287.
- McDonough PL, D. Fogelman, S. J. Shin, M. A. Brunner, D. H. Lein. 1999. Salmonella enterica serotype Dublin infection: an emerging infectious disease for the Northeastern United States. J Clin Microbiol 37:2418-2427.
- Barwick RS, HO Mohammed, ER Atwill, PL McDonough, ME White. 1999. The prevalence of equine leptospirosis in New York State. Jap J Equine Science 9:119-124
- McDonough PL, SJ Shin, DH Lein. 1999. Diagnostic and public health dilemma of lactose- fermenting Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium in cattle in Northeastern United States. J Clin Microbiol 38:1221-1226.
- Simpson KW , D Strauss-Ayali, PL McDonough, Y-F Chang, and BA Valentine. 1999. Gastric function in dogs with naturally acquired Helicobacter spp infection. J of Vet Internal Med 13:507-515 (Editorial p. 505-506).
- McDonough PL, CA. Rossiter, RB. Rebhun, S M. Stehman, DH. Lein, SJ. Shin. 2000. Prevalence of Escherichia coli O157:H7 from cull dairy cows in New York State and comparison of culture methods used during preharvest food safety investigations. J Clin Microbiol 38: 318-322.
- Simpson KW, D Straus-Ayali, E Scanziani, RK Straubinger, PL McDonough, AF Straubinger, Y-F Chang, C Domeneghini, N Arebi, and J Calam. 2000. Helicobacter felis infection is associated with lymphoid follicular hyperplasia and mild gastritis but normal gastric secretory function in cats. Infect Immun 68:779-790.
- Rurangirwa FR, CA Teitzel, J Cui, DM French, PL McDonough, and T. Besser. 2000. Streptococcus didelphis, sp. nov., a catalase positive streptococcus isolated from opossums Didelphis virginiana) with suppurative dermatitis and liver fibrosis. International J of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiol 50:759-765
- Hassan L, HO Mohammed, PL McDonough, RN Gonzalez. 2000. A cross-sectional study on the prevalence of Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella in the New York Dairy Herds. J Dairy Sci 83:2441-2447
- Spain CV, JM Scarlett, S Wade, and P McDonough. 2001. Prevalence of Enteric Zoonotic Agents in Cats Less Than One?year Old in Central New York State. J Vet Internal Med 15:33-38
- Hassan L, HO Mohammed, and PL McDonough. 2001. Management and milking practices associated with the presence of Listeria monocytogenes in dairy farms in New York State. Prev Vet Medicine 51:63-73
- Jeffers GT, JL Bruce, PL McDonough, J Scarlett, KJ Boor, and M Wiedmann. 2001. Comparative genetic characterization of Listeria monocytogenes isolates from human and animal listeriosis cases. Microbiol 147:1095-1104
- Simpson KW, D Strauss-Ayali, RK Straubinger R., E Scanziani, PL McDonough, AF Straubinger, M Esteves, JG Fox, Y-F Chang, C Domenghini, N Arebi, and J Calam. 2001. Helicobacter pylori infection in the cat: evaluation of gastric colonization, inflammation and function. Helicobacter 6:1-14
- McDonough PL, CA Rossiter, Y-F Chang, SJ Shin, H Mohammed, S Stehman, J Dunlop, C Ramos, and DH Lein. Fatty acid characterization of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis - a useful tool assessing diversity of isolates. Appl Environ Microbiol Submitted
- Warnick LD, K Kanistanon, PL McDonough, L Power. Factors related to fecal shedding of Salmonella enterica subsp enterica group B in New York dairy farms with a history of clinical salmonellosis. Preventive Vet Med Submitted
- Raghavan PUM, SP McDonough, SC Barr, TJ Divers, P McDonough, Y-F Chang. Cloning and molecular characterization of an immunogenic 90-kDa membrane protein of Leptospira interrogans. Infect Immun Submitted
- Dheenadhayalan V, KS Shin, CF Chang, CD Chang, SP McDonough, PL McDonough, S Shin, DH Lein, Y-F Chang. Cloning and characterization of the genes coding for antigen 85A, 85B and 85C of Mycobacterium avium subsp. Paratuberculosis. FEMS Microbiol Letters Submitted
- Gerold A, E Scanziani, D Dailidiene, G Dalilide, J Adaska, PL McDonough, Y-F Chang, DE Berg, KW Simpson. Helicobacter pylori infection in cats: natural and experimental infection, strain characterization and eradication.
Awards and Honors
Phi Zeta, Alpha Chapter- Veterinary Honorary Society (1992)
- American Society for Microbiology (Section B:pathogenesis) (1977-present)
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (1979-present)
- United States Animal Health Association (1982-present)
- Society of Microbial Ecology and Disease (1990-present)
- American Public Health Association (2001-present)
- International Association for Paratuberculosis (1990-present)
- Phi Zeta, Alpha Chapter (1992-present)
- American Association of Veterinary Microbiologists (1980-1992)
- Northeast Branch American Society for Microbiology (1988-89)
- Northeast Association for Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Disease (1988-1990)