Ece Bulut, PhD
Research interests include microbiology, epidemiology, risk assessment, statistical modeling, bioinformatics, and population genetics.
- PhD, Food Science and Technology, University of University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE. 2019.
- MS, Biotechnology, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey. 2014.
- BS, Food Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey. 2012.
- 2019 – Present, Postdoctoral Associate, Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 2015-2019, Research/Teaching Assistant, Food Science and Technology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE
- 2012 –2014, Research/Teaching Assistant, Biotechnology, Middle East Technical University, Ankara Turkey
- Murphy S I, Chen R, Belias A M, Chen W, Zhang L, Sunil S, Bulut E, Li Y, Wiedmann M and Ivanek R. Dynamics of aerobic and Gram-negative bacteria on fresh spinach in a Chinese supply chain from harvest through distribution and storage over shelf-life. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 370:109639. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2022.109639.
- Bulut E and Ivanek R. 2021. Comparison of different biomass methodologies to adjust sales data on veterinary antimicrobials in the United States. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. DOI:10.1093/jac/dkab441
- Bulut E, Stout A, Wemette M, Llanos-Soto S G, Schell R C, Greiner Safi A, Shapiro M A, Moroni P and Ivanek R. 2021. How does public perception of antibiotic use on dairy farms contribute to self-reported purchasing of organic? Journal of Food Science, 86:2045-2060. DOI:10.1111/1750-3841.15720
- Llanos-Soto S G, Vezeau N, Wemette M, Bulut E, Greiner Safi A, Moroni P, Saphiro M A and Ivanek R. 2021. Survey of perceptions and attitudes of an international group of veterinarians regarding antibiotic use and resistance on dairy cattle farms. Preventive Veterinary Medicine, 188:105253. DOI:10.1016/j.prevetmed.2020.105253
- Acar S, Bulut E, Stasiewic M J and Soyer Y. 2019. Genome analysis of antimicrobial resistance, virulence, and plasmid presence in Turkish Salmonella serovar Infantis isolates. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 307: 108275. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2019.108275
- Loy J D, Leger L, Workman A M, Clawson M L, Bulut E and Wang B. 2018. Development of a multiplex real-time PCR assay using two thermocycling platforms for detection of major bacterial pathogens associated with bovine respiratory disease complex from clinical samples. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, 30(6): 837-847. DOI:10.1177/1040638718800170
- Acar S, Bulut E, Durul B, Uner I, Kur M, Avsaroglu M D, Kirmaci H A, Tel O Y, Zeyrek F Y and Soyer Y. 2017. Phenotyping and genetic characterization of Salmonella enterica isolates from Turkey revealing arise of different features specific to geography. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 241: 98-107. DOI:10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2016.09.031
- Kyere E O, Bulut E, Avsaroglu M D and Soyer Y. 2015. Molecular evaluation and antimicrobial susceptibility testing of Escherichia coli isolates from food products in Turkey. Food Science and Biotechnology, 24(3):1001-1009. DOI:10.1007/s10068-015-0128-6
- Gunel E, Kilic G P, Bulut E, Durul B, Acar S, Alpas H, and Soyer Y. 2015. Salmonella surveillance on fresh produce in retail in Turkey. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 199: 72–77. DOI:10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2015.01.010
- Durul B, Acar S, Bulut E, Kyere E O, and Soyer Y. 2015. Subtyping of Salmonella food isolates suggests the geographic clistering of serotype Telaviv. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, 12(12): 958-965. DOI:10.1089/fpd.2015.1995
- Llanos-Soto S G, Bulut E, Murphy S I, Henry C J, Zoellner C E, Wiedmann M, Wetherington D, Adalja A, Alcaine S D, and Ivanek R. Aug 6, 2021. COVID-19: State of the food industry. Food Industry Needs Assessment Survey. Institute for Food Safety at Cornell University. https://instituteforfoodsafety.cornell.edu/sites/instituteforfoodsafety.cornell.edu/files/shared/food-industry-guidelines-needs-assessment-survey-submitted-08062021.pdf
- Bulut E. 2019. Fate of antimicrobial resistant bacteria and antimicrobial resistance genes in manure storage. Institute of Agriculture and Natural Sources, UNL Water. A peer reviewed article written as part of an Animal Manure Management class in Biological Systems Engineering in University of Nebraska-Lincoln. https://water.unl.edu/article/animal-manure-management/fate-antimicrobial-resistant-bacteria-and-genes-manure-storage
Awards and Honors
- 2022, Center for Produce Safety (CPS) – Professional Development Award Recipient
- 2019, International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) Developing Scientist Competition Finalist
- 2019, Larrick/Whitmore Graduate Student Travel Grant
- 2017; 2019, Beef Industry Food Safety Council (BIFSCo) Travel Grant
- 2018, National Institute of Food and Agriculture Travel Grant
- 2012-2015, Graduate Student Scholarship by National Scholarship Program of the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey
- 2010-2010, Student Mobility Grant by the LLP ERASMUS Program
- 2021 – Present, AI Institute for Food Systems (AIFS)
- 2015 – Present, International Association for Food Protection (IAFP)
- 2017 – Present, The Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
- 2012 – Present, Union of Chambers of Turkish Engineers and Architects, Chamber of Food Engineers (TMMOB-GIDAMO)