Hussni O. Mohammed
My research interests and approaches are at the interface between the agent and the host in the relevant environment at the local and global levels. Examples include the followings:
Epidemiology and risk assessment of zoonotic vectorborne diseases with emphasis on food- and waterborne and arthropod-borne diseases in different food matrices and among different hosts and at the local and global levels. Of particular interest are foodborne bacterial (including Campylobacter spp., E. coli, Listeria moncytogenes, and Salmonella spp.) and protozoal (Cryptosporidium spp. and Giardia sp.) infections. Among the arthropod-borne diseases, West Nile Virus and Rift Valley fever are of particular interest.
The application of epidemiologic techniques to ecohealth approaches to understand the mechanism of emergence, introduction, transmission and perpetuation of infectious zoonotic diseases in different populations and to evaluate the cost effective intervention strategies to mitigate associated risk.
Epidemiology of neurologic disorders including equine motor neuron disease as a possible model for the human amyotrophic lateral sclerosis its application in translation research.
- BVSc - 1975 Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Univ. of Khartoum MVSc
- 1979 Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Univ. of Khartoum
- DPVM - 1980 Royal Agri. & Vet. College, Univ. of Copenhagen
- MPVM - 1984 School of Veterinary Medicine, Univ. of Calif., Davis
- PhD - 1986 School of Veterinary Medicine, Univ. of Calif., Davis
- Africa: Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria, Sudan, Tanzania, Tunisia
- Asia: China, Laos, Malaysia, Tajikistan, Thailand, Vietnam
- Middle East: Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria
- South America: Brazil
- Mohammed HO, Atwill E, Dunbar L, Ward T, McDonough P, Gonzalez R, Stipetic K. 2010. The risk of Listeria monocytogenes infection in beef cattle operations. J Appl Microbiol. 108:349-356.
- Kraus MS, Jesty SA, Gelzer AR, Ducharme NG, Mohammed HO, Mitchell LM, Soderholm LV, Divers TJ. 2010. Measurement of plasma cardiac troponin I concentration by use of a point-of-care analyzer in clinically normal horses and horses with experimentally induced cardiac disease. Am J Vet Res. 7:55-59.
- Cheetham J, Riordan AS, Mohammed HO, McIlwraith CW, Fortier LA. 2010. Relationships between race earnings and horse age, sex, gait, track surface and number of race starts for Thoroughbred and Standardbred racehorses in North America. Equine Vet J. 42(4):346-350.
- Grenager NS, Divers TJ, Mohammed HO, Johnson AL, Albright J, Reuss MS. 2010. Epidemiological features and association with crib-biting in horses with neurological disease associated with temporohyoid osteoarthropathy (1991–2008). Equine Vet. Edu. 22:467-472.
- Szonyi B, Bordonaro R, Wade SE, Mohammed HO. 2010. Seasonal variation in the prevalence and molecular epidemiology of Cryptosporidium infection in dairy cattle in the New York City Watershed. Parasitol Res. 107(2):317-25.
- Szonyi B, Wade SE, Mohammed HO. 2010. Temporal and spatial dynamics of Cryptosporidium parvum infection on dairy farms in the New York City Watershed: a cluster analysis based on crude and Bayesian risk estimates. Int J Health Geogr. 9:31.
- Mark-Carew MP, Khan Y, Wade SE, Schaaf S, Mohammed HO. 2010. Incidence of and risks associated with Giardia infections in herds on dairy farms in the New York City Watershed. Acta Vet Scand. 52:44.
- Decarlo CH, Clark AB, McGowan KJ, Ziegler PE, Glaser AL, Szonyi B, Mohammed HO. 2011. Factors Associated With the Risk of West Nile Virus Among Crows in New York State. Zoonosis Public Health. 58(4):270-275.
- McComb T, Bischoff K, Thompson B, Smith MC, Mohammed HO, Ebel J, Hillebrandt J. 2010. An investigation of blood selenium concentrations of goats in New York State. J Vet Diagn Invest. 22(5):696-701.
- Nixon AJ, Begum L, Mohammed HO, Huibregtse B, O'Callaghan MM, Matthews GL. 2011. Autologous chondrocyte implantation drives early chondrogenesis and organized repair in extensive full- and partial-thickness cartilage defects in an equine model. J Orthop Res. 29(7):1121-1130.
- Schaefer JJ, White HA, Schaaf SL, Mohammed HO, Wade SE. 2011. Modification of a commercial Toxoplasma gondii immunoglobulin G enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for use in multiple animal species. J Vet Diagn Invest. 23(2):297-301.
- Sparks HD, Nixon AJ, Fortier LA, Mohammed HO. 2011. Arthroscopic reattachment of osteochondritis dissecans cartilage flaps of the femoropatellar joint: long-term results. Equine Vet J. 43(6):350-359.
- Watts AE, Nixon AJ, Yeager AE, Mohammed HO. 2011. A collagenase gel/physical defect model for controlled induction of superficial digital flexor tendonitis. Equine Vet J. (Epub ahead of print).
- Mark-Carew MP, Wade SE, Chang YF, Schaaf S, Mohammed HO. 2011. Prevalence of Giardia duodenalis assemblages among dairy herds in the New York City Watershed. Vet Parasitol. 185(2-4):151-157.
- Montgomery KW, Ledbetter EC, Mohammed HO. 2011. Effect of short-term diphenhydramine administration on aqueous tear production in normal dogs. Vet Ophthalmol. 14:395-399.
- Ortved KF, Nixon AJ, Mohammed HO, Fortier LA. 2011. Treatment of subchondral cystic lesions of the medial femoral condyle of mature horses with growth factor enhanced chondrocyte grafts: A retrospective study of 49 cases. Equine Vet J. (Epub ahead of print). PMID: 22128804.
- Syzoni B, Chang YF, Wade S, Mohammed HO. 2012. Evaluation of factors associated with the risk of Cryptosporidium parvum in dairy cattle. Am J Vet Res. 73(1):76-85.
- Schaefer JJ, White HA, Schaaf SL, Mohammed HO, Wade SE. 2012. Chimeric protein A/G conjugate for detection of anti-Toxoplasma gondii immunoglobulin G in multiple animal species. J Vet Diagn Invest. 24(3):572-575.
- Radcliffe RM, Divers TJ, Fletcher DJ, Mohammed H, Kraus MS. Evaluation of L-lactate and cardiac troponin I in horses undergoing emergency abdominal surgery. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio).;22(3):313-319.
Awards and Honors
- 1975-1976 Veterinary Officer, Khartoum Veterinary Clinic, Khartoum, Sudan
- 1982-1986 Postgraduate Researcher, Department Epidemiology & Preventive Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA
- 1986-1987 Lecturer, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine University of California, Davis, CA
- 1987-1993 Associate Professor of Epidemiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 1999–present Professor of Epidemiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- Consultant, FAO .Advise on Area Wide Integration in Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam. 7/2001.
- Consultant, FAO- July 2004 – September 2004. Risk of Environmental Degradation—Waterborne Pathogens in South East Asia Sea (China, Thailand, and Vietnam). GEF- Proposal.
- Consultant, International Livestock Research Institute Ibadan, Nigeria, September 11 -17, 2004. Workshop on Risk Assessment.
- Consultant, International Livestock Research Institute Workshop Food Safety Risk Assessment, Oct 2005, Bagamoya, Tanzania.
- Consultant, International Livestock Research Institute Consultation on the Utility of Food Safety in Developing Countries. Nairobi, December 2005.
- Consultant, International Livestock Research Institute, Risk Assessment, Jordan and Syria, April 2006.
- Consultant, International Livestock Research Institute, Application of the risk Assessment. Tunis, Tunisia June, 2006.
- Consultant, FAO/USDA Epidemiologic Approaches to Avian Influenza in Sudan. Aug-Dec, 2006.
- Consultant, Syracuse Research Corporation Environmental Science Center, EPA Cryptosporidium Risk Assessment Study, December 2007.
- Instructor, Fifth International Workshop in Microbial Risk Analysis, Barcelona, Spain, October 2005.
- Instructor, Application of the Risk Assessment to Waterborne Diseases, Paris France, March, 2006.
- Instructor, Animal Health Risk Assessment, EFSA, Parma, Italy, February 2007.