Department of Public & Ecosystem Health
Associate Professor of Practice
Department of Public & Ecosystem Health
Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, NY 14853
- Field investigation of common diseases of poultry including avian influenza (AI), Newcastle disease virus (NDV), Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG), infectious bronchitis (IBV) and infectious bursal disease(IBD)
- Epidemiology and pathology of poultry diseases in the tropics
- BSc. – 1985 Colorado State University, Bachelor of Science – Biological Sciences
- DVM – 1990 Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine – Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
- Residency – 1993-1995 University of Pennsylvania – Certificate of Residency in Avian Medicine and Pathology
2011 – Present Senior Extension Associate, Poultry Extension at the Animal Health Diagnostic Lab (AHDC), College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
As part of the Veterinary Services Unit of the AHDC, responsibilities include translating and interpreting poultry test data for veterinary practitioners and poultry producers, providing technical assistance for commercial poultry producers and backyard flock owners and collaborating with program coordinators in the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets. Additionally, assist Cornell Cooperative Extension county coordinators in their poultry production and poultry processing activities.
2007-2010 Senior Veterinary Advisor, Development Alternatives Inc. (DAI) USAID-funded STOP Avian Influenza Project, Bethesda, MD
Provide assistance and technical oversight on global STOP AI programs in Southeast Asia, Central Asia and Africa. Assist in developing strategies and programs for national and local pandemic preparedness plans.
2006-2007 Veterinary Diagnostician/International Consultant, Avian Influenza Response Unit, Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy
Part of response unit traveling to countries with Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) outbreaks to provide technical advice and assistance in enhancing laboratory capacity. Assessed emergency preparedness plans of countries for the control and eradication of HPAI.
1999-2006 Manager of Technical Services, ISA Poultry Genetics, Ithaca, NY
Design health programs, monitor breeder health and supervise veterinary and laboratory personnel, two diagnostic laboratories and quality assurance at two hatcheries.
1995-1999 Extension Associate, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
Manage avian diagnostic laboratory, perform necropsies and diagnostic histopathology for avian submissions, perform diagnostic serology and virus isolation of avian pathogens such as NDV, IBV and AI.
1993-1995 Resident in Avian Medicine and Pathology, Poultry Diagnostic Laboratory, New Bolton Center, University of Pennsylvania
Coordinate large caseloads of poultry submissions from Pennsylvania’s commercial poultry industry. Perform necropsies and histopathological examination of avian cases. Resource person for Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture and instructor for poultry disease courses designed for second and third year veterinary students.
1990-1993 Senior Veterinary and Project Officer, Department of Livestock Services, Ministry of Agriculture, Gambia, West Africa
Supervise veterinary clinic, co-direct Pan-African Rinderpest Campaign and acted as National Coordinator for the United Nations Women In Development (WID) project.
- Mullins, G., Jagne, J., Stone, L., Konings, E., Howard-Grabman, L., Hartman, F., Fulton, M. (2010) ‘One World One Health’ in practice: Integrating public health and veterinary curricula on emerging infectious diseases in Africa. Int. J Infect Dis. Vol 14, pp e377-e378
- Cardona, C., Lucio, B., O’ Connell, P., Jagne, J., Schat, K.A. (2000) Humoral immune responses to chicken infectious anemia virus in three strains of chickens in a closed flock. Avian Diseases, 44 (3): 661-667
- Jagne, J., Aini, I., Schat, K.A., Fennell, A. and Touray, O. (1991). Vaccination of village chickens in the Gambia against Newcastle disease using the heat-resistant, food-pelleted V4 vaccine. Avian Pathology, 20: 721-72
- Shaver Poultry Newsletter summer 2004 “Avian Influenza” –J. Jagne
- ISA Babcock newsletter, winter 2002 “Infectious Bronchitis in Layers” - J.Jagne
Awards and Honors
- July 2013-Aug 2016, Poultry Medicine Representative on the American Veterinary Medical Association’s (AVMA) Committee on Disaster and Emergency Issues
- 2012 to present, Faculty Fellow, Cornell Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future (ACSF)
- March 2010, 2010 Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Campbell Memorial Lecture Series Speaker
- 2004, Service Award, National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP) of the United States
- May 1989, Cornell University Expanding Horizons Summer Research Award
- July 1994, Best Graduate Student Paper – Pennsylvania Poultry Conference
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American College of Poultry Veterinarians
- American Association of Avian Pathologists
- United States Animal Health Association
- International Network for Family Poultry Development