Jessica McArt, DVM, PhD
• PhD, Field of Comparative Biomedical Sciences, January 2013
Minors: Epidemiology and Animal Science
• Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, May 2007
College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
Production Animal Pathway
• Bachelor of Arts, June 1999
Major: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Minor: Engineering
- McArt JAA, Nydam DV, Oetzel GR, Guard CL. An economic analysis of hyperketonemia testing and propylene glycol treatment strategies in early lactation dairy cattle. Prev Vet Med (In press, DOI: 10.1016/j.prevetmed.2014.06.017).
- Yasui T, McArt JAA, Ryan CM, Gilbert RO, Nydam DV, Valdez F, Griswold K, Overton TR. Effects of chromium propionate supplementation during the periparturient period and early lactation on metabolism, performance, and subclinical endometritis in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci (In press, DOI: 10.3168/jds.2013-7796).
- Vergara CF, Döpfer D, Cook NB, Nordlund KV, McArt JAA, Nydam DV, Oetzel GR. Risk factors for postpartum problems in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2014; 97: 4127-4140.
- Lear AS, Byers SR, Callan RJ, McArt JAA. Evaluation of sample handling effects on serum vitamin E and cholesterol concentrations in alpacas. Vet Med Int 2014; Article ID 537213, DOI:10.1155/2014/537213.
- McArt JAA, Nydam DV, Oetzel GR, Overton TR, Ospina PA. Elevated nonesterified fatty acids and beta-hydroxybutyrate and their association with transition dairy cow performance. The Vet J 2013; 198: 560-570.
- Ospina PA, McArt JAA, Overton TR, Stokol TS, Nydam DV. Using nonesterified fatty acids and beta-hydroxybutyrate concentrations during the transition period for herd-level monitoring of increased risk of disease and decreased reproductive and milking performance. Vet Clin Food Anim 2013; 29: 387-412.
- McArt JAA, Nydam DV, Oetzel GR. Dry period and parturient predictors of early lactation ketosis in dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci 2012; 96:198-209.
- McArt JAA, Nydam DV, Oetzel GR. Epidemiology of subclinical ketosis in early lactation dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci 2012; 95:5056-5066.
- McArt JAA, Nydam DV, Oetzel GR. A field trial on the effect of propylene glycol on displaced abomasum, removal from herd, and reproduction in fresh cows diagnosed with subclinical ketosis. J Dairy Sci 2012; 95:2505-2512.
- McArt JAA, Nydam DV, Ospina PA, Oetzel GR. A field trial on the effect of propylene glycol on milk yield and resolution of ketosis in fresh cows diagnosed with subclinical ketosis. J Dairy Sci 2011; 94:6011-6020.
- Machado VS, Caixeta LS, McArt JAA, Bichalo RC. The effect of claw horn disruption lesions and body condition score at dry-off on survivability, reproductive performance, and milk production in the subsequent lactation. J Dairy Sci 2010; 93:4071-4078.
- McArt JAA, Caixeta LS, Machado VS, Guard CL, Galvao KN, Sa Filho OG, Bichalo RC. Ovsynch versus Ultrasynch: reproductive efficacy of a dairy cattle synchronization protocol incorporating corpus luteum function. J Dairy Sci 2010; 93:2525-2532.
Awards and Honors
• American Dairy Science Association: Graduate Student Paper Presentation, PhD Production Division – First Place, 2012
• American Association of Bovine Practitioners: Graduate Student Presentation Award – First Place, 2011
• Cornell Annual Resident Research Seminar: Overall Scientific and Presentation Excellence – First Place, 2009
• Phi Zeta, National Honor Society of Veterinary Medicine, 2007
• Myron G. Fincher Prize for Large Animal Obstetrics, Cornell University, 2007
• F. H. Fox Scholarship, 2006
• American Association of Bovine Practitioners, Amstutz Scholar, 2005
• Dartmouth Wearers of the Green (Hall of Fame), 1999
• Ski Team Captain, Dartmouth College, 1997-1999
• NCAA All-American, Cross-Country Skiing, 1998
• Valedictorian, Dimond High School, 1995
• Junior National Champion, Cross-Country Skiing, 1992-1994
• USDA Level II Accredited Veterinarian: 2007 - present
• American Veterinary Medical Association: 2007 – present
• New York Veterinary Medical Association: 2007 - present
• American Association of Small Ruminant Practitioners: 2007 – present
• American Association of Bovine Practitioners: 2004 – present