Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
Associate Professor of Practice
Animal Health Diagnostic Center
Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, NY 14853
Pet food safety, heavy metals in wildlife, domestic animals, and the food chain, and selenium and vitamin E as antioxidants in domestic animals and wildlife.
- American Board of Veterinary Toxicology Diplomate 1999, Oklahoma State University
- MS 1999 Veterinary Pathology, University of Illinois
- 1995 DVM, University of Illinois
- BS 1993 Veterinary Science, University of Wisconsin
- BS 1991 Animal Science
- 8/2012 to present: Senior Extension Associate, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, and Diagnostic Toxicologist, New York State Animal Health Diagnostic Center
- 8/2004 to 8/2012: Assistant Professor, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, and Diagnostic Toxicologist, New York State Animal Health Diagnostic Center
- 7/2001 to 7/2004: Anatomic Pathology Resident, University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine
- 5/2000 to 5/2001: Senior Research Associate, Illinois Institute of Technology
- 1/1999 to 9/1999: Laboratory Animal Resident, University of Alaska
- 1/1996 to 12/1998: Toxicology Resident, Oklahoma Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory, Oklahoma State University
- 9/1995 to 10/1995: Intern, Florida Keys Wild Bird Center, Key Largo FL
- 8/1994 to 9/1994: Intern, The Raptor Center, University of Minnesota
- 11/1994 to 12/1994: Intern, National Wildlife Health Center, United States Geological Service
- 6/1989 to 8/1989: Intern, Brookfield Zoo, Brookfield IL
- Karan Agrawal,* Joseph G. Ebel Jr, Craig Altier, Karyn L. Bischoff. Identification of protoxins and a microbial basis for red maple (Acer rubrum) toxicosis in equines. JVDI. In publication.
- K. Bischoff, W. Rumbeiha. Pet food recalls. Veterinary Clinics of North America, Small Animal. In publication.
- K. Bischoff, B. Thompson, H.N. Erb, W.P. Higgins, J.G. Ebel, J.R Hillebrandt. Declines in blood lead concentrations in clinically affected and unaffected cattle accidentally exposed to lead. JVDI (2012). 24: 182-187.
- K. Bischoff, R. Jaeger, J.G. Ebel. An unusual case of relay pentobarbital toxicosis in a dog. Journal of Medical Toxicology (2011). 7: 236-329.
- K. Bischoff, M.C. Smith. Toxic Plants of the Northeastern United States (2011). Veterinary Clinics of North America, Ruminants. 27: 459-480.
- H.G. Kang, K. Bischoff, J.G. Ebel, S.H. Cha, J. McCardle. Comparison of blood lead and blood and plasma δ-aminolevulinic acid concentrations as biomarkers for lead poisoning in cattle (2010). JVDI 22: 903-907.
- T. McComb,* K. Bischoff, B. Thompson, M.C. Smith, H.O. Mohammed, J.G. Ebel, J.R. Hillebrandt. An investigation of blood selenium concentrations of goats in New York State (2010). JVDI 22: 696-701.
- K. Bischoff, C. Gaskill, H.N. Erb, J.G. Ebel, J.R. Hillebrandt. Comparison of 2 methods for blood lead analysis in cattle: graphite-furnace atomic absorption spectrometry and LeadCare® II system (2010). JVDI 22: 729-733.
- C. Lamm,* K. Bischoff, H.N. Erb, C.L. Guard, J.R. Hillebrandt, B. Thompson, B.L. Njaa. Trace-mineral concentrations in dairy cattle with rupture of abdominal-artery aneurysm (2010). Bovine Practitioner: 44: 36-41.
- K. Bischoff, H. Priest,* A. Mount-Long. Animals as sentinels in lead poisoning: a case report (2010). J Med Toxicol 6: 185-189.
- C. L. Miller, K.L. Bischoff, B. Hoff. Polyacrylamide ingestion leading to fatal intestinal obstruction in two birds in a zoo collection (2009). J Avian Med Surg 23(4):286-289.
- H.G. Kang, S.H. Jeong, M.R. Cho, J.H. Cho, K. Bischoff. Time dependent changes in lead and delta-aminolevulinic acid after subchronic lead exposure in rats (2009). Human and Exper Toxicol. 28: 647-654.
- R. Canciolo*, K. Bischoff, L. Serfilippi, J. Ebel, R. Goldstein. Clinicopathologic, histopathologic and toxicologic findings in 70 cats inadvertently exposed to pet food contaminated with melamine and cyanuric acid (2008). JAVMA 233:729-37.
- D.M. Dereszynski*, S.A. Center, J.F. Randolph, M.B. Brooks, A. G. Hadden*, K.S. Palyada*, S.P. McDonough, T. Stokol, K. L. Bischoff, H.N. Erb, S. Gluckman, S.Y. Sanders. Clinical and clinicopathologic features of food borne aflatoxin hepatotoxicity in 72 dogs (2005-2006) (2008). JAVMA 232:1329-37.
- K. Bischoff, C. Lamm*, H.N. Erb, J.R. Hillebrandt. The effects of formalin-fixation and tissue embedding of bovine liver on copper, iron, and zinc analysis (2008). JVDI 20:220-224.
- J.F.X. Wellehan, A.J. Johnson, K.S. Latimer, K. Bischoff, M. Lafortune, E.R. Jacobson Identification and initial characterization of an adenovirus associated with fatal hepatic and lymphoid necrosis in a Meyer’s parrot (Poicephalus meyeri). (2005). J Av Med Surg 19:191-197
- K. Bischoff, J. Pichner, W.E. Braselton, C. Counard, D.C. Evers, W. C. Edwards. Mercury and selenium concentrations in livers and eggs of common loons (Gavia immer) from Minnesota (2002). Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 42:71-6.
- K. Bischoff, S. Morgan, J. Chelsvig, D. Spencer. 4-aminopyridine poisoning of crows in the Chicago area (2001). Vet. Hum. Toxicol. 43: 350-252.
- K. Bischoff . The toxicology of microcystin-LR: occurrence, toxicokinetics, toxicodynamics, diagnosis, and treatment (2001). Vet. Hum. Toxicol. 43: 249-247.
- K. Bischoff, B. Brizzee-Buxton, N. Gatto, W.C. Edwards, E.L. Stair, C. Logan*. Malicious paraquat poisoning in Oklahoma dogs (1998). Vet. Hum. Toxicol. 40: 151-153.
- K. Bischoff, F. Guale. Austrailan tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) oil poisoning in three purebred cats (1998). J. Vet. Diagn. Invest. 10: 208-210.
- K. Bischoff, E. Beier 3rd, W.C. Edwards. Methamphetamine poisoning in three Oklahoma dogs (1998). Vet. Hum. Toxicol. 40: 19-20.
- E. Beier 3rd, K. Bischoff. Flurazepam toxicosis in two dogs (1997). Vet. Hum. Toxicol. 39: 352-354.
- Faculty Fellow, Cornell Center for a Sustainable Future
- Society of Toxicology
- American Board of Veterinary Toxicology: Exam Committee 2009-2011
- American Academy of Veterinary and Comparative Toxicology: President 2010-2012, President Elect 2008-2010, Council Member 2005-2008, Awards Committee Chair 2006-2008
- American Association of Veterinary Diagnosticians
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Council for Agricultural Science and Technology
- Phi Zeta, Alpha Chapter
- Sigma Xi Research Society, Alpha Chapter.