Kathryn Bach, VMD, PhD
Department of Biomedical Sciences
Department of Biomedical Sciences
Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, NY 14853
- PhD, Cornell University, Population Medicine and Animal Science, 2019
- VMD, University of Pennsylvania, production animal focus, 2013
- MS, Cornell University, Animal Science, 2009
- BS, Cornell University, Animal Science, 2004
Dr. Kathryn Bach is a Lecturer in the Department of Biomedical Sciences. She received her VMD from the University of Pennsylvania with a production animal focus, and further training in livestock medicine and population health at Colorado State University. Dr. Bach received her PhD from Cornell University where she studied methods of subclinical disease monitoring in periparturient dairy cattle. During her PhD, she was actively involved in teaching in the preclinical veterinary curriculum, both as a lecturer and a laboratory instructor.
Dr. Bach’s main lecturing responsibilities are in Foundation Course III, Function and Dysfunction. Additionally, she is the Program Coordinator for the Summer Dairy Institute, an advanced training program for prospective dairy veterinarians.
- Bach KD, Neves RC, Stokol T, McArt JAA. (2020) Technical note: Effect of storage time and temperature on total calcium concentrations in bovine blood. J Dairy Sci; 103(1):922-928.
- Bach KD, Barbano DM, McArt JAA. (2019) Association of mid-infrared predicted milk and blood constituents with early lactation negative health and production outcomes in Holstein dairy cows. J Dairy Sci; 102(11):10129-10139.
- Bach KD, Spika A, McArt JAA. (2019) Case study: Evaluating quarter and composite milk sampling for detection of subclinical intramammary infections in dairy cattle. Prev Vet Med; 163:51-57.
- Neves RC, Leno BM, Bach KD, McArt JAA. (2018) Epidemiology of subclinical hypocalcemia in early-lactation Holstein dairy cows: the temporal associations of plasma calcium concentration in the first 4 days in milk with disease and milk production. J Dairy Sci; 101(10):9321-9331.
- Neves RC, Stokol T, Bach KD, McArt JAA. (2018) Method comparison and validation of a prototype device for measurement of ionized calcium concentrations cow-side against a point-of-care instrument and a benchtop blood-gas analyzer reference method. J Dairy Sci; 101(2):1334-1343.
- Bach KD, Heuwieser W, McArt JAA. (2016) Technical note: Comparison of 4 electronic handheld meters for diagnosing hyperketonemia in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci; 99(11): 9136-9142. Editor’s Choice.
Awards and Honors
- American Association of Bovine Practitioners, Graduate Student Presentations – 1st Place, 2019
- American Dairy Science Association, Graduation Student Presentations – 1st Place, 2019
- Cornell University Graduate Student Presentations – 1st Place, 2019
- American Association of Bovine Practitioners, Graduate Student Presentations – 1st Place, 2016
- William Boucher Food Animal Scholarship, University of Pennsylvania, 2013
- American Association of Bovine Practitioners Foundation, Zoetis Scholarship, 2013
- Zoetis, American Veterinary Medical Foundation Veterinary Student Scholarship, 2012
- Veterinary Scholarship Trust of New England, 2010
- Hewlett Award for Innovation in International Offerings, University of Pennsylvania, 2010
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Association of Bovine Practitioners
- American Dairy Science Association
- National Mastitis Council