Kathryn Fiorella, PhD, MPH
Planetary Health/One Health, Fisheries, Livelihoods, HIV/AIDS, Nutrition, Environmental change
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 2015
Department of Environmental Science, Policy & Management
Masters of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, 2013
Epidemiology, Certificate in Public Health Nutrition
A.B., Princeton University, cum laude, 2006
Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Certificate in Environmental Studies
Assistant Professor, Master of Public Health, Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, Cornell University, 2018-present
Lecturer, Program in Public Health, Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, Cornell University, 2017-2018
Postdoctoral Fellow, Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future, Cornell University, 2015-2017
Adjunct Postdoctoral Fellow, Earth Institute, Columbia University, 2015-2017
Immersion Fellow, Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC), 2015-2016
UN World Food Programme, Program Associate, Kampala, Uganda, 2008
The Food Project, Community Outreach Fellow, Lynn, Massachusetts, 2006-2008
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles (undergrad/MS/MPH mentees)
Niles, MT…Coffin-Schmitt, J…Fiorella, KJ, et al. 2021. A Multi-Site Analysis of the Prevalence of Food Security in the United States, before and during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Current Developments in Nutrition. In press.
Golden, CG, Koehn, JZ, Shepon, A, Passarelli, S, Free, CM, Viana, D, Matthey, H, Eurich, JG, Gephart, JA, Fluet-Chouinard, E, Nyboer, EA, Lynch, AJ, Kjellevold, M, Bromage, S, Charlebois, P, Barange, M, Vannuccini, S, Cau, L, Kleisner, KM, Rimm, EB, Danaei, G, DeSisto, C, Kelehan, H, Fiorella, KJ, Little, DC, Allison, EH, Fanzo, J, Thilsted SH. 2021. Aquatic Foods for Nourishing Nations. Nature. 598: 315-320.
Hickey, MD, Ouma, GB, Mattah, B, Pederson, B, DesLauriers, NR, Mohamed, P, Obanda, J, Odhiambo, A, Olambo, L, Njoroge, B, Otieno, L, Zoughbie, DE, Ding, EL, Fiorella, KJ, Bukusi, EA, Cohen, CR, Geng, EH, Salmen, CR. 2021. The Kanyakala Study: Randomized controlled trial of a microclinic social network intervention for promoting engagement and retention in HIV care in rural western Kenya. PlosONE. 16(9): e0255945.
Heilpern, SA, DeFries, R, Fiorella, KJ, Flecker, AS, Sethi, S, Uriarte, M, Naeem, S. 2021. Declining diversity of wild-caught species puts dietary nutrient supplies at risk. Science Advances. 7(22): eabf9967.
Fiorella, KJ, Bageant, ER, Schwartz, N, Thilsted, SH, Barrett, CB. 2021. Response to Temperature Change in Cambodia’s Inland Fisheries. Science Advances. 7(18): eabc7425.
Heilpern, SA, Fiorella, KJ, Cañas, C, Flecker, AS, Moya, L, Naeem, S, Suresh, SA, Uriarte, M, DeFries, R. 2021. Substitution of inland fisheries with aquaculture and chicken undermines human nutrition. Nature Food. 2: 192-197.
Fiorella, KJ, Bageant ER, Mojica, L, Obuya, J, Olela, P, Ochieng, J, Otuo, P, Onyango, HO, Aura, C, Okronipa, H. 2021. Small-scale fishing households facing COVID-19: the case of Lake Victoria, Kenya. Fisheries Research. 237: 105856.
Fiorella, KJ, Okronipa, H, Baker, K, Heilpern, S. 2021. Contemporary Aquaculture: Effects on nutrient availability. Current Opinions in Biotechnology. 70: 83-90.
Byrd, K, Thilsted, SH, Fiorella, KJ. 2020. Fish Nutrient Composition: A review of global data from poorly assessed inland and marine species. Public Health Nutrition. 1-11.
- Chung, EO, Omollo, DO, Mattah, B, Hickey, MD, Salmen, CR, Milner, EM, Brashares, JS, Young, SL, Fernald, LCH, Fiorella, KJ. 2019. Characteristics of Pica Behaviors Among Women in Western Kenya. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 16(14): 2510.
- Fiorella, KJ, Bageant, E, Kim, M, Vichet, S, Try, V, Baran, E, Kura, Y, Brooks, A, Barrett, C, Thilsted, S. 2019. Improving Fish Biomass and Biodiversity within a Dynamic Social-Ecological System: Community Fish Refuges in Cambodia. Ecology and Society. 24(3): 18.
- Fiorella, KJ, Desai, P, Miller, JD, Okeyo, N, Young, SL. 2019. A Review of Transactional Sex for Natural Resources: Under-researched, overstated or unique to fishing economies? Global Public Health. 1-12.
- Fiorella, KJ, Gavenus, ER, Milner, EM, Moore, M, Wilson-Anumudu, F, Adhiambo, F, Mattah, B, Bukusi, E, Fernald, LCH. 2019. Evaluation of a social-network intervention on child feeding knowledge and practices. Maternal & Child Nutrition. 15(3): e12782.
- DeLorme, A, Gavenus, E, Salmen, C, Benard, GO, Mattah, B, Bukusi, E, Fiorella, KJ. 2018. Nourishing Networks: A social-ecological analysis of a network intervention for improving household nutrition in Western Kenya. Social Science & Medicine. 197: 95-103.
- Chang, A, Fiorella, KJ, Hickey, MD, Salmen, CR, Bukusi, EA, Cohen, CR, Auerswald, CL. 2018. Marginalization and community perception of HIV care, treatment, and support on Mfangano Island, Kenya. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, & Action. 12(2): 121-133.
- Milner, EM, Fiorella, KJ, Mattah, B, Bukusi, EB, Fernald, LCH. 2018. Timing, intensity, and duration of food insecurity are associated with child development in Kenya. Maternal & Child Nutrition. 14(2).
- Fiorella, KJ, Milner, EM, Salmen, CS, Hickey, MD, Omollo, DO, Mattah, B, Adhiambo, A, Bukusi, EB, Fernald, LCH, Brashares, JS. 2017. Human Health Alters the Sustainability of Fishing Practices in East Africa. PNAS. 114(16): 4171-4176. Covered by: Voice of America (radio), NSF, Cornell Chronicle, Berkeley News
- Fiorella, KJ, Milner, EM, DO, Bukusi, E, Fernald, LCH. 2017. Quantity and species of fish consumed shape breast milk essential fatty acid concentrations among women living around Lake Victoria, Kenya. Public Health Nutrition. 21(4): 777-784.
- Seto, K & Fiorella, KJ. 2017. From Sea to Plate: Remembering Fish in a Sustainable Food System. Frontiers in Marine Science. 4(74).
- Gaynor, KM, Fiorella, KJ, Kurz, DJ, Gregory, GH, Seto, KL, Withey, LS, Brashares, JS. 2016. War and wildlife: linking armed conflict to conservation. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. 14(10): 533-542. (cover story)
- Fiorella, KJ, Chen, R, Milner, EM, Fernald, LCH. 2016. Agricultural Interventions for Improved Nutrition: A Review of Environmental and Livelihood Dimensions. Global Food Security. 8: 39-47.
- Hickey, MD, Omollo, DO, Salmen, CR, Mattah, B, Blat, C, Ouma, GB, Fiorella, KJ, et al. 2016. Movement between facilities for HIV care among a mobile population in Kenya: transfer, loss to follow-up and re-engagement. AIDS Care. 28(11):1386-1393.
- Fiorella, KJ, Camlin, CS, Salmen, CR, Omondi, R, Hickey, MD, Omollo, DO, Milner, EM, Bukusi, EA, Fernald, LCH, Brashares, JS. 2015. Transactional Fish-for-Sex Relationships Amid Declining Fish Access in Kenya. World Development. 74: 323-332.
- Salmen, CR, Hickey, MD, Fiorella, KJ, Omollo, D, et al. 2015. "Wan Kanyakla" (We are together): Community Transformation in Kenya Following a Social Network Intervention for HIV Care and Treatment. Social Science & Medicine. 147: 332-340.
- Hickey, MD, Salmen, CR, Omollo, DO, Mattah, B, Fiorella, KJ, et al. 2014. Pulling the network together: Quasiexperimental Trial of a Patient-Defined Support Network Intervention for Promoting Engagement in HIV Care and Medication Adherence on Mfangano Island, Kenya. JAIDS. 69(4): 127-134.
- Nagata, JM, Fiorella, KJ, Salmen, CR, Hickey, MD, Mattah, B, Magerenge, R, et al. 2014. Around the table: Food insecurity, socio-economic status, and instrumental social support among women living in a rural Kenyan island community. Ecology of Food and Nutrition. 54(4): 358-369.
- Fiorella, KJ, Hickey, MD, Salmen, CR, Nagata, JM, Mattah, B, Magerenge, R, Cohen, CR, Bukusi, EA, Brashares, JS, Fernald, LCH. 2014. Fishing for Food? Analyzing links between fishing livelihoods and food security around Lake Victoria, Kenya. Food Security. 6(6): 851-860.
- Brashares, JS, Abrahms, B, Fiorella, KJ, Golden, CD, Marsh, RA, McCauley, DJ, Nunez, T, Seto, K, Withey, L. 2014. Wildlife Decline and Social Conflict. 2014. Science. 345(6195): 376-378. Covered by: BBC News, The New Yorker, NPR, The Daily Mail, Scientific American
- Fiorella, KJ. 2013. Interpersonal relationships in research: balancing reciprocity and emergencies. Journal of Research Practice. 10(2): N1.
- Nagata, JM, Fiorella, KJ, Young, SL, Otieno, OD, Ijaa, K, Bukusi, EA, Cohen, C.R. 2013. Socio-demographic and health associations with body mass index at the time of enrollment to HIV care in Nyanza Province, Kenya. AIDS Care. 25(12): 1491-1498.
- Fiorella, KJ. 2013. Considering the Complexity in HIV/AIDS and the Environment. American Journal of Public Health. 103(9).
- Bellan, SE, Fiorella, KJ, Melesse, DY, Getz, WM, Williams, BG, Dushoff, J. 2013. Extra-Couple HIV Transmission in Sub-Saharan Africa: a mathematical modeling study of survey data. Lancet. 381(9877): 1561-1569. Covered by: The Economist, All-Africa, News Medical
- Cohn AS, Eitzel, MV, Fiorella, KJ, et al. (authors contributed equally). 2012. Review of ‘Interdisciplinary Environmental Studies: A Primer’ by Gunilla Oberg. Quarterly Review of Biology. 87(3): 247-248.
- Fiorella, KJ, Cameron, A, Sechrest, W, Winfree, R, Kremen, C. Methodological considerations in reserve system selection: a case study of Malagasy Lemurs. 2010. Biological Conservation. 143: 963-973.
- Fiorella, KJ, Gurney, C, Leong, M, Stillinger, T. 2010. Nature's Matrix: Linking Agriculture, Conservation and Food Sovereignty. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture. 34(8): 923-925.
Refereed Book Chapters
- Kim, M, Bageant, E, Thilsted, S, Fiorella, KJ. Community Management of Fish Refuges in Cambodian Rice Field Fisheries. Ed C.C. Krueger, W.W. Taylor, and S.-J. Youn. From catastrophe to recovery: stories of fishery management success. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland.
Correspondence and Outreach
- Fiorella KJ, Rapacciuolo, G, Trisos, C. 2016. Biodiversity Conservation Priorities: Learning from Public Health. Nature (Correspondence). 538 (317).
- Miller, J, Fiorella, KJ, Wekesa, P, Boateng, G, Collins, S, Young, S. 2017. An inquiry into a recent paper on pica in western Kenya. Nutrition and Food Science (NFS) Journal.
- Withey, L, Seto, K, McCauley, DJ, Fiorella, KJ, Marsh, RA, Abrahms, B, Nunez, TA, Golden, CD, Brashares, JS. Fauna in decline--response. 2014. Science (Letters). 346(6211): 819-820.
- SESYNC Community Research Seminar, National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC), 2020
Public Health Scholars Workshop, National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC), 2020
WorldFish (Penang, Malaysia), ‘Fish for Thought’ Seminar, 2019
Planetary Health: Environmental Change is Impacting Human Health and the Environment. TCAM Faculty Pitch. Cornell University. (2019)
Declining Fish Catch and Human Health Around Lake Victoria, Kenya. Mosquito Net Fishing Symposium. Syracuse University. (2019)
Social-ecological Drivers of Community Fish Refuges in Cambodia. North American Congress for Conservation Biology. U. Toronto, Canada. (2018)
Improving Fish Biomass and Biodiversity within a Dynamic Social-Ecological System: Community Fish Refuges in Cambodia. SESYNC. Annapolis, Maryland. (2018)
Fish Catch and Fisher Adaptations in Cambodia’s Rice Field Fisheries: Implications for Climate Change. Planetary Health Annual Meeting. University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom. (2018)
Improving Fish Biomass and Biodiversity within a Dynamic Social-Ecological System: Community Fish Refuges in Cambodia. International Sustainable Agriculture Intensification and Nutrition Conference, Phnom Penh, Cambodia [presented by Yumiko Kura]. (2018)
Improving Fish Biomass and Biodiversity within a Dynamic Social-Ecological System: Community Fish Refuges in Cambodia. Tropical Biology and Conservation Symposium. Cornell University. (2017)
Quantity and species of fish consumed shape breast milk essential fatty acids. Global Workshop: Nutrition-sensitive fish agri-food systems. Siem Reap, Cambodia. (2017)
Linking Human and Environmental Health: The Effects of Fisher Illness on Fishery Sustainability. Atkinson Sustainability Project Pitch Competition. Cornell University. (2017)
Evaluation of a Social Network Intervention to Improve Nutrition. International Congress of Nutrition. Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Integrating fishery, livestock and cropping systems. Farm to Plate Conference. Cornell University. [Session Presenter and Organizer] (2017)
Biodiversity Benefits in Cambodian Rice Field Fisheries. Maternal & Child Nutrition. Cornell University (2016)
Human Illness and Environmental Sustainability around Lake Victoria, Kenya. International Marine Conservation Congress. St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada. (2016)
Cornell Campus Seminars
- International Program-College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (IP-CALS) (2019)
- Department of Nutritional Sciences (2019)
- Department of Natural Resources (2019)
- Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences (2017)
- Department of Natural Resources (2016)
- Program in International Nutrition (2015)
Awards and Honors
2015-2017, Cornell Atkinson Center Postdoctoral Fellowship, Cornell University
2014, NSF Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement, Geography & Spatial Science
2014, Philomathia Fellow, University of California, Berkeley
2011, Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship (FLAS), Dholuo2011, Meaningful Modeling of Epidemiological Data Fellow
2009-2012, NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)
- 2020, Assessing Self Procured and Locally Sourced Food Adaptations in Response to COVID19 in Upstate New York
- 2020-2021, Cornell Atkinson Center, COVID19 Rapid Response Fund, "Assessing the Impacts of COVID19 on Food Security and Food Consumption Among Kenyan Households"
- 2019-2021, Cornell Atkinson Center, Atkinson Venture Fund, "Spoiling Fish as Food: Harmful Algal Blooms in Lake Victoria"
- 2019-2020, Engaged Cornell Academic Venture Fund Supplemental Award, "Spoiling Fish as Food: Harmful Algal Blooms in Lake Victoria"
- 2019-2020, Einaudi Center Seed Grant, "Human Behavioral Responses to Harmful Algal Blooms around Africa’s Lake Victoria"
- 2019-2020, National Geographic Explorer Grant, "The Value of Biodiversity in Cambodian Flood Plain Fisheries"
- 2018-2019, Catalyzing New Research Partnerships, CRDF Global, "Cornell-WorldFish Research Partnership: Biodiversity Conservation in Small Scale Fisheries"
- 2018-2019, Engaged Cornell, "Curriculum Development Grant: Food Systems for Health"
- 2018-2019, Conservation, Food & Health Foundation, "Analyzing Benefits of Community Fish Refuges in Cambodia"
- Cornell Atkinson Center
- Center for Health Equity
- Cornell Center for Social Sciences
- Graduate Fields: Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Natural Resources, Global Development