Kathryn Fiorella, PhD, MPH
Department of Public & Ecosystem Health
Department of Public & Ecosystem Health
Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, NY 14853
Office Location: S2-004 Schurman Hall
Planetary Health/One Health, Fisheries, Livelihoods, HIV/AIDS, Nutrition, Environmental change
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 2015
Department of Environmental Science, Policy & Management
Masters of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, 2013
Epidemiology, Certificate in Public Health Nutrition
A.B., Princeton University, cum laude, 2006
Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Certificate in Environmental Studies
Assistant Professor, Master of Public Health, Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, Cornell University, 2018-present
Lecturer, Program in Public Health, Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, Cornell University, 2017-2018
Postdoctoral Fellow, Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future, Cornell University, 2015-2017
Adjunct Postdoctoral Fellow, Earth Institute, Columbia University, 2015-2017
Immersion Fellow, Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC), 2015-2016
UN World Food Programme, Program Associate, Kampala, Uganda, 2008
The Food Project, Community Outreach Fellow, Lynn, Massachusetts, 2006-2008
For more publications see Dr. Fiorella's Google Scholar page.
- Okronipa, HO, Bageant, ER, Baez, Jazmin, Onyango, HO, Aura, CM, Fiorella, KJ. 2023. COVID-19 Impacts on Small-scale Fisheries in 2020-2021: The Case of Lake Victoria, Kenya. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems. 6.
- Wang, Q, Byrd, K, Thilsted, SH, Navin, C, Kim, M, Fiorella, KJ. 2023. Nutrient composition and microbial food safety of a locally-processed fish product in Cambodia. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management. 25(3): 73-81.
- Ziegler, CS, Roegner, AF, Aura, CM, Fiorella, KJ. 2022. Social Constructions of Health-Environment Risks: A Comparison of Fishing Community and Expert Perceptions of Cyanobacterial Blooms. Society & Natural Resources. 1-22.
- Fiorella, KJ. 2022. Understanding interactions between wild fisheries and aquaculture is essential to sustainable and equitable aquaculture development. Fisheries Management and Ecology. 1-5.
- Fiorella, KJ, Bageant, ER, Schwartz, N, Thilsted, SH, Barrett, CB. 2021. Fishers’ response to temperature change reveals the importance of incorporating human behavior in climate change analysis. Science Advances. 7(18): eabc7425.
- Heilpern, SA, Fiorella, KJ, Cañas, C, Flecker, AS, Moya, L, Naeem, S, Suresh, SA, Uriarte, M, DeFries, R. 2021. Substitution of inland fisheries with aquaculture and chicken undermines human nutrition. Nature Food. 2: 192-197.
- Fiorella, KJ, Bageant ER, Mojica, L, Obuya, J, Olela, P, Ochieng, J, Otuo, P, Onyango, HO, Aura, C, Okronipa, H. 2021. Small-scale fishing households facing COVID-19: the case of Lake Victoria, Kenya. Fisheries Research. 237: 105856.
- Fiorella, KJ, Okronipa, H, Baker, K, Heilpern, S. 2021. Contemporary Aquaculture: Effects on nutrient availability. Current Opinions in Biotechnology. 70: 83-90.
- Gaynor, KM, Brashares, JS, Gregory, GH, Kurz, DJ, Seto, KL, Withey, LS, Fiorella, KJ. 2020. Anticipating the complex impacts of COVID-19 pandemic on wildlife. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. 18(10).
- Fiorella, KJ, Coffin-Schmitt, J, Gaynor, KM, Gregory, GH, Rasolofoson, R, Seto, KL. 2020. Feedbacks from human health to household reliance on natural resources during the COVID-19 pandemic. Lancet Planetary Health. 4: e441-e442.
- Byrd, K, Thilsted, SH, Fiorella, KJ. 2020. Fish Nutrient Composition: A review of global data from poorly assessed inland and marine species. Public Health Nutrition. 1-11.
- Fiorella, KJ, Bageant, E, Kim, M, Vichet, S, Try, V, Baran, E, Kura, Y, Brooks, A, Barrett, C, Thilsted, S. 2019. Analyzing drivers of fish biomass and biodiversity within community fish refuges in Cambodia. Ecology and Society. 24(3).
- Fiorella, KJ, Milner, EM, Salmen, CS, Hickey, MD, Omollo, DO, Mattah, B, Adhiambo, A, Bukusi, EB, Fernald, LCH, Brashares, JS. 2017. Human Health Alters the Sustainability of Fishing Practices in East Africa. PNAS. 114(16): 4171-4176.
- Fiorella, KJ, Milner, EM, DO, Bukusi, E, Fernald, LCH. 2017. Quantity and species of fish consumed shape breast milk essential fatty acid concentrations among women living around Lake Victoria, Kenya. Public Health Nutrition. 21(4): 777-784.
- Fiorella, KJ, Chen, R, Milner, EM, Fernald, LCH. 2016. Agricultural Interventions for Improved Nutrition: A Review of Environmental and Livelihood Dimensions. Global Food Security. 8: 39-47.
- Fiorella, KJ, Camlin, CS, Salmen, CR, Omondi, R, Hickey, MD, Omollo, DO, Milner, EM, Bukusi, EA, Fernald, LCH, Brashares, JS. 2015. Transactional Fish-for-Sex Relationships Amid Declining Fish Access in Kenya. World Development. 74: 323-332.
- Fiorella, KJ, Hickey, MD, Salmen, CR, Nagata, JM, Mattah, B, Magerenge, R, Cohen, CR, Bukusi, EA, Brashares, JS, Fernald, LCH. 2014. Fishing for Food? Analyzing links between fishing livelihoods and food security around Lake Victoria, Kenya. Food Security. 6(6): 851-860.
- Brashares, JS, Abrahms, B, Fiorella, KJ, Golden, CD, Marsh, RA, McCauley, DJ, Nunez, T, Seto, K, Withey, L. 2014. Wildlife Decline and Social Conflict. 2014. Science. 345(6195): 376-378.
- SESYNC Community Research Seminar, National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC), 2020
Public Health Scholars Workshop, National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC), 2020
WorldFish (Penang, Malaysia), ‘Fish for Thought’ Seminar, 2019
Planetary Health: Environmental Change is Impacting Human Health and the Environment. TCAM Faculty Pitch. Cornell University. (2019)
Declining Fish Catch and Human Health Around Lake Victoria, Kenya. Mosquito Net Fishing Symposium. Syracuse University. (2019)
Social-ecological Drivers of Community Fish Refuges in Cambodia. North American Congress for Conservation Biology. U. Toronto, Canada. (2018)
Improving Fish Biomass and Biodiversity within a Dynamic Social-Ecological System: Community Fish Refuges in Cambodia. SESYNC. Annapolis, Maryland. (2018)
Fish Catch and Fisher Adaptations in Cambodia’s Rice Field Fisheries: Implications for Climate Change. Planetary Health Annual Meeting. University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom. (2018)
Improving Fish Biomass and Biodiversity within a Dynamic Social-Ecological System: Community Fish Refuges in Cambodia. International Sustainable Agriculture Intensification and Nutrition Conference, Phnom Penh, Cambodia [presented by Yumiko Kura]. (2018)
Improving Fish Biomass and Biodiversity within a Dynamic Social-Ecological System: Community Fish Refuges in Cambodia. Tropical Biology and Conservation Symposium. Cornell University. (2017)
Quantity and species of fish consumed shape breast milk essential fatty acids. Global Workshop: Nutrition-sensitive fish agri-food systems. Siem Reap, Cambodia. (2017)
Linking Human and Environmental Health: The Effects of Fisher Illness on Fishery Sustainability. Atkinson Sustainability Project Pitch Competition. Cornell University. (2017)
Evaluation of a Social Network Intervention to Improve Nutrition. International Congress of Nutrition. Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Integrating fishery, livestock and cropping systems. Farm to Plate Conference. Cornell University. [Session Presenter and Organizer] (2017)
Biodiversity Benefits in Cambodian Rice Field Fisheries. Maternal & Child Nutrition. Cornell University (2016)
Human Illness and Environmental Sustainability around Lake Victoria, Kenya. International Marine Conservation Congress. St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada. (2016)
Cornell Campus Seminars
- International Program-College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (IP-CALS) (2019)
- Department of Nutritional Sciences (2019)
- Department of Natural Resources (2019)
- Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences (2017)
- Department of Natural Resources (2016)
- Program in International Nutrition (2015)
Awards and Honors
2015-2017, Cornell Atkinson Center Postdoctoral Fellowship, Cornell University
2014, NSF Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement, Geography & Spatial Science
2014, Philomathia Fellow, University of California, Berkeley
2011, Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship (FLAS), Dholuo2011, Meaningful Modeling of Epidemiological Data Fellow
2009-2012, NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)
- 2020, Assessing Self Procured and Locally Sourced Food Adaptations in Response to COVID19 in Upstate New York
- 2020-2021, Cornell Atkinson Center, COVID19 Rapid Response Fund, "Assessing the Impacts of COVID19 on Food Security and Food Consumption Among Kenyan Households"
- 2019-2021, Cornell Atkinson Center, Atkinson Venture Fund, "Spoiling Fish as Food: Harmful Algal Blooms in Lake Victoria"
- 2019-2020, Engaged Cornell Academic Venture Fund Supplemental Award, "Spoiling Fish as Food: Harmful Algal Blooms in Lake Victoria"
- 2019-2020, Einaudi Center Seed Grant, "Human Behavioral Responses to Harmful Algal Blooms around Africa’s Lake Victoria"
- 2019-2020, National Geographic Explorer Grant, "The Value of Biodiversity in Cambodian Flood Plain Fisheries"
- 2018-2019, Catalyzing New Research Partnerships, CRDF Global, "Cornell-WorldFish Research Partnership: Biodiversity Conservation in Small Scale Fisheries"
- 2018-2019, Engaged Cornell, "Curriculum Development Grant: Food Systems for Health"
- 2018-2019, Conservation, Food & Health Foundation, "Analyzing Benefits of Community Fish Refuges in Cambodia"
- Cornell Atkinson Center
- Center for Health Equity
- Cornell Center for Social Sciences
- Graduate Fields: Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Natural Resources, Global Development