- Infectious and parasitic diseases of free-ranging terrestrial wildlife
- Chronic Wasting Disease surveillance and response
- Disease risk assessment
- Geographic epidemiology
- Wildlife health database integration
- Wildlife health education
- Ph.D. Biological Sciences, Area of Study -Wildlife Sciences in 2006 from South Dakota State University, Brookings SD
- M.S. Wildlife and Fisheries Ecology in 2002 from Oklahoma State University, Stillwater OK
- B.S. Biological Sciences in 1998 from the University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame IN
- Present: Wildlife Disease Ecologist, Assistant Research Professor; Cornell University, Animal Health Diagnostic Center, Ithaca NY
- 2011-2019: Senior Extension Associate; Cornell University, Animal Health Diagnostic Center, Ithaca NY
- 2006-2011: Wildlife Disease Ecologist for the Field Investigation Team; U.S. Geological Survey, National Wildlife Health Center, Madison WI
- 2002-2006 Research Assistant, South Dakota State University, Brookings SD
- 1999-2002 Teaching Assistant, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater OK
- 1998-1999 Research Assistant II, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh PA
Hanley, B.J., A.A. Dhondt, E.M. Bunting, M.A. Pokras, K.P. Hynes, M.J. Forzan, E. Dominguez-Villegas, and K.L. Schuler. 2022. Lead reduces growth and limits the resiliency of bald eagle populations. Journal of Wildlife Management. DOI:10.1002/jwmg22177
Hanson, M.*, N. Hollingshead, K. Schuler, W. Siemer, P. Martin, and E. Bunting. 2021. Species, causes, and outcomes of wildlife rehabilitation in New York State from 2012-2014. PlosONE. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0257675
Zhu, S.*, E. Buckles, E. Bunting, K. Hynes, and K. Schuler. 2021. A predictive utility of causes of morbidity and mortality in white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus). Wildlife Biology. DOI:10.2981/wlb.00860
Siemer, W.F., T.B. Lauber, H.E. Kretser, K.L. Schuler, M. Verant, C.J. Herzog, and K.A. McComas. 2020. Predictors of intentions to conserve bats among New York property owners. Human Dimensions of Wildlife. DOI:10.1080/10871209.2020.1817628
Schuler, K., M. Claymore, H. Schnitzler*, E. Dubovi, T. Rocke, M.J. Perry, D. Bowman, and R.C. Abbott. 2020. Sentinel coyote pathogen survey to assess declining black-footed ferret population in South Dakota. Journal of Wildlife Diseases. DOI:10.7589/JWD-D-20-00015
Thomas, N., C. L. White, J. Saliki, K. Schuler, D. Lynch, O. Nielsen, J. P. Dubey, S. Knowles. 2020. Canine distemper virus in the Washington State sea otter population. Journal of Wildlife Diseases. DOI: 10.7589/JWD-D-19-00008
Ableman, A., K. Hynes, K. Schuler, and A. Martin. 2019. Partnering with taxidermists for improved chronic wasting disease surveillance. Animals 9(1113) DOI:10.3390/ani9121113
Hanley, B., A. Dhondt, B. Dennis, and K. Schuler. 2019. Using time series data to assess recent population dynamics of Bald Eagles in the Northeast United States. Ecophere. DOI:/10.1002/ecs2.2963
Hanley, B., E. Bunting, and K. Schuler. 2019. How can we augment the few that remain? Using stable population dynamics to aid reintroduction planning. Peer J 7:e6873 DOI:10.7717/peerj.6873
Needle, D., V. Burnell, M. Forzan, E. Dubovi, K. Schuler, C. Bernier, N. Hollingshead, J. Ellis, B. Stevens, P. Tate, E. Anis, and R. Wilkes. 2019. Infection of eight mesocarnivores in New Hampshire and Vermont with a divergent clade of canine distemper in 2016-2017. Journal of Wildlife Diseases. DOI: 10.1177/1040638719847510.
Forzán, M., R. Renshaw, E. Bunting, E. Buckles, J. Okoniewski, K. Hynes, R. Melendez, A. Ableman, M. Laverack, M. Fadden, A. Dastjerdi, K. Schuler, and E. Dubovi. 2019. Novel orthoreovirus associated with epizootic necrotizing enteritis and splenic necrosis in American crows, Corvus brachyrhynchos. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 55(4):812-822. DOI:10.7589/2019-01-015
Song, H. K. McComas, and K. Schuler. 2018. Hunters' responses to urine-based scent bans tackling chronic wasting disease. The Journal of Wildlife Management 83(2)457-466. DOI: 10.1002/jwmg.21593
Song, H., K. McComas, and K. Schuler. 2018. Source effects on psychological reactance to regulatory policies: the role of trust and similarity. Science Communications 40(5):591-620. DOI: 10.1177/1075547018791293
Sasmal, I., N. P. Gould, K. L. Schuler, Y. F. Chang, A. Thachil, J. Strules, C. Olfenbuttle, S. Datta, and C. S. DePerno. 2018. Presence of leptospirosis in urban/suburban American black bears in western North Carolina. The Journal of Wildlife Diseases 55(1):74-83. DOI:10.7589/2017-10-263
Schuler, K. L. , J. A. Jenks, R. W. Klaver, and R. T. Bowyer. 2018. Chronic wasting disease detection and mortality sources in a semi-protected deer population. Wildlife Biology. DOI: 10.2981/wlb.00437
Schuler, K. L., B. C. Brewer, K. A. Mayer, C. Perez-Heydrich, P. M. Holahan, N. J. Thomas, and C. L. White. 2018. Redefining aging criteria for northern sea otters in Washington State. The Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management t 9(1):208–221; e1944-687X. DOI:10.3996/052017-JFWM-040
C. L. White, E. W. Lankau, D. Lynch, S. Knowles, K. L. Schuler, J. P. Dubey, V. I Shearn-Bochsler, M. Isidoro-Ayza, N. J. Thomas. 2018. Mortality trends in the Washington population of northern sea otters (Enhydra lutris kenyoni) during 2002-2017. The Journal of Wildlife Diseases 54(2):238-247. DOI:10.7589/2017-05-122.
Peltier, S.K., J.D. Brown, M. Ternent, K.D. Niederinghaus, K. L. Schuler, E.M. Bunting, M. Kirchgessner, and M.J. Yabsley. 2017. Genetic Characterization of Sarcoptes scabiei from Black Bears (Ursus americanus) and Other Hosts in the Eastern United States. The Journal of Parasitology 103(5):593-597. DOI:10.1645/17-26
Alger, K., E. Bunting, K. Schuler, and C. Whipps. 2017. Evaluating risk factors for lymphoproliferative disease virus (LPDV) in wild turkeys of New York State. The Journal of Wildlife Diseases. Accepted.
- Decker, D., K.L. Schuler, M.A. Wild, and A. Forstchen. 2016. Wildlife health and public trust responsibilities for wildlife resources. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 52:775-784. DOI: 10.7589/2016-03-066
- Lorch, J., S. Knowles, J. Lankton, K. Michell, J. Edwards, J. Kapfer, R. Staffen, E. Wild, K. Schmidt, A. Ballmann, D. Blodgett, T. Farrell, B. Glorioso, L. Last, S. Price, K. Schuler, C. Smith, J. Wellehan, Jr., D. Blehert. 2016. Snake Fungal Disease: An Emerging Threat to Wild Snakes. Submitted by invitation to Philosophical Transactions B. 371(1709). DOI:10.1098/rstb.2015.0457
- Justice-Allen, A., K. Orr, T. G. Schwan, K. Schuler, C. Meteyer, K. McCarty, and K. Jacobson. 2016. Bald eagle nestling mortality due to tick parasitism and successful management with nest replacement. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 52:940-944.
- Schuler, K. L, A. M. Wetterau, E. M. Bunting, and H. Mohammed. 2016. Exploring chronic wasting disease risk perception between wildlife and agriculture. Wildlife Society Bulletin 40(1):32–40; 2016; DOI: 10.1002/wsb.625
- Decker, D., C. Smith, A. Forstchen, D. Hare, E. Pomeranz, C. Doyle-Capitman, K. Schuler, and J. Organ. 2016. Governance principles to guide wildlife conservation in the 21st Century. Conservation Letters DOI: 10.1111/conl.12211
- Alger, K., E. Bunting, K. Schuler, J. Jagne, and C. Whipps. 2015. Diagnosing lymphoproliferative disease virus in live wild turkeys (Meleagris gallapavo) using whole blood. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 46:806-814.
- Evans, T. S., K. L. Schuler, and W. D. Walter. 2014. Surveillance and monitoring of white-tailed deer for chronic wasting disease in the northeastern United States. Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management 5(2): fwma-05-02-07.3d.
- Schuler, K. L. , G. Schroeder, J. A. Jenks, and J. G. Kie. 2014. Ad-hoc smoothing parameter performance in kernel estimates of GPS-derived home ranges. Wildlife Biology 20(5):259-266.
- White, C. L., K. L. Schuler, N. Thomas, J. Webb. 2013. Pathogen exposure and blood chemistry in the Washington State population of northern sea otters. Journal of Wildlife Diseases. 49(4):887-899. DOI: 10.7589/2013-03-053
- Bildfell, R. J., W. K. Rumbeiha, K. L. Schuler, C. U. Meteyer, P. L. Wolff, and C. M. Gillin. 2013. A review of zinc phosphide toxicosis in wild geese (Branta spp.) in Oregon (2004-2011). Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 25: 162-167. DOI:10.1177/1040638712472499
- Schuler, K. L. D. E. Green, A. E. Justice-Allen, R. Jaffe, M. Cunningham, N. J. Thomas, M. G. Spaulding, and H. S. Ip. 2012. Expansion of an exotic species and concomitant disease outbreaks: pigeon paramyxovirus in free-ranging Eurasian collared doves. EcoHealth. DOI: 10.1007/s10393-012-0758-6.
- Burco, J., A. M. Myers, K. L. Schuler, and C. Gillin. 2012. Acute lead toxicosis via ingestion of spent ammunition in a free-ranging cougar (Puma concolor). The Journal of Wildlife Diseases 48(1):216-210.
- Russell, D. M., C. S. Goldberg, L. Sprague, L. P. Waits, D. E. Green, K. L. Schuler, E. B. Rosenblum. 2011. Ranavirus outbreaks in amphibian populations of northern Idaho. Herpetological Review 42:223-225.
- Schuler, K. L., D. M. Leslie, Jr., J. H. Shaw, and E. J. Maichak. 2006. Temporal-spatial distribution of bison (Bos bison) in a tallgrass prairie fire mosaic. Journal of Mammalogy 87(3):539-544.
- Schuler, K. L., J. A. Jenks, C. S. DePerno, M. A. Wild, and C. S. Swanson. 2005. Tonsillar biopsy testing for chronic wasting disease: two approaches in deer. The Journal of Wildlife Diseases 41(4):820-824.
- Maichak, E. J. and K. L. Schuler. 2004. Applicability of viewshed analysis to wildlife population estimation. American Midland Naturalist 152(2):277-285.
- Maichak, E. J., K. L. Schuler, and M. E. Payton. 2004. Behavioral variation of bison on a tallgrass prairie. Prairie Naturalist 36(2):103-118.
Awards and Honors
- 2022, Outstanding Professional, The New York State Chapter of The Wildlife Society
- 2022, National Deer Association’s Professional Deer Manager of the Year
- 2021, The Wildlife Society Fellows Award
- 2020, Certificate of Appreciation, WHISPers Partner Work Team, U.S. Geological Survey – National Wildlife Health Center, Madison, WI.
- 2019, Honorary Member, The Society of Phi Zeta, Honor Society of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- 2013, Outstanding Professional, The New York State Chapter of The Wildlife Society
- 2010, USGS S.T.A.R. Award for authorship of Climate Change and Wildlife Health white paper
- 2008, The Wildlife Society Leadership Institute Participant
- American Society of Mammalogists
- The Wildlife Society
- Wildlife Disease Association