Patrick L. McDonough
- B.S. - 1973 Albright College, Reading, PA (major: Biology)
- M.S. - 1976 Cornell University, Ithaca, NY (major: Bacteriology; minor Immunology)
- Ph.D. - 1985 Cornell University, Ithaca, NY (major: Bacteriology; minors: Immunology, Epidemiology)
- Post-Doctoral training – 1986-89 Tufts University, the Tufts New England Veterinary Medical Center, Boston, MA (clinical microbiology, anaerobic microbiology, laboratory management)
- 1973-1975: Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant, Department of Veterinary Microbiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 1975-1979: Supervising Bacteriologist, Diagnostic Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 1979-1984: Graduate Research Asst. and PhD Candidate, Diagnostic Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 1984: Staff Microbiologist, Enteric Laboratory, Bureau of Laboratories, New York City Department of Health, New York, NY
- 1984-1986: Principal Bacteriologist and Head of Bacteriology and Mycology Laboratory, Division of Animal Health, New Jersey Dept of Agriculture, Trenton, NJ
- 1986-1989: Instructor, Department of Pathology, Section Chief of Microbiology, Division of Diagnostic Laboratories, Tufts New England School of Veterinary Medicine, Tufts University, Boston, MA
- New York State/City, Ad Hoc Technical Task Force on Agriculture and the New York City Water supply (1990-5): advisor to the Ad Hoc Policy Task Force for formulation of regulations so New York City could meet the new National Drinking Water Standards Act.
- 1989-1992: Senior Research Associate, Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Science, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 1992-2003: Assistant Professor, Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 2003-2015: Associate Professor, Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- Bureau of Land Management, Federal Department of the Interior, "Adopt-a-Horse/Adopt-a-Burro" Program (1993-8): member of an expert national taskforce assembled to evaluate disease (salmonellosis and leptospirosis) prevention and control for the BLM horse and burro adoption program
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Salmonella Typhimurium DT104 Task Force, Atlanta, Georgia, (April 1997-9): participate in a national Task Force of CDC, USDA-APHIS/FSIS, FDA-CVM, and University representatives assessing the present state of knowledge of multiply antimicrobial resistant (MAR) Salmonella Typhimurium DT104 infection in the USA, intervention strategies, and methods to control/prevent human and animal infection.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Salmonella Newport Task Force, Atlanta, Georgia, and (March 2002-2005): participate in a national Task Force of CDC, USDA-APHIS/FSIS, FDA-CVM, and University representatives assessing the present state of knowledge of multiply antimicrobial resistant (MDR) Salmonella Newport infections in the USA, intervention strategies, and methods to control/prevent human and animal infection
1989-2005: Assistant Director-Bacteriology and Mycology Section, Diagnostic Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
- (1994 – 1996): Acting Director -Bacteriology and Mycology Section, Diagnostic Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University; Director on medical leave
- (September 2001 – May 2002): Acting Director - Bacteriology and Mycology Section, Diagnostic Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University; Director on sabbatical leave
- 2005-2009: Director-Bacteriology and Mycology Section, Animal Health Diagnostic Center (AHDC-Diagnostic Laboratory), Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY; Section Head, Microbiology Unit A (Bacteriology-Mycology, Parasitology, Infectious Diseases Research, CEM Lab, Johne’s Lab), AHDC, and member Executive Board, AHDC
- 2009: Sabbatical leave, Visiting Scientist: University College Dublin (UCD- College of Life Sciences School of Agriculture, Food and Veterinary Medicine), Dublin, Ireland; Irish Department of Agriculture Fisheries and Foods (DAFF), Celbridge, Co. Kildare; the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI), Dublin, Ireland; Visiting Scientist: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, DHHS/CDC/OID/NCEZID/DFWED/EDLB, National Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance Team (NARST) NARMS/NARST laboratory, Epidemiological Outbreak Investigation Unit, Salmonella and Campylobacter Reference laboratories
2010-2015: Senior Clinical Microbiologist, Bacteriology and Mycology Section, Animal Health Diagnostic Center (AHDC-Diagnostic Laboratory), Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY;
- (January 2010 – January 2012): Section Head, Microbiology Unit A of Animal Health Diagnostic Center(Bacteriology-Mycology, Parasitology, Infectious Diseases Research, CEM Lab, Johne’s Lab); member Executive Board, AHDC
- (November 2012- August 2014): Acting Director Bacteriology-Mycology Laboratory section, AHDC; member Directors’ Committee, AHDC
- 2015: Professor Emeritus of Microbiology– Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 2015-present: Consultant – One Health Strategies
SCIENTIFIC JOURNAL EDITORIAL REVIEW BOARD:
Journal of Clinical Microbiology, Editorial Review Board and ad hoc Reviewer (Invited)
Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine, ad hoc Reviewer (Invited)
Zoonoses and Public Health, ad hoc Reviewer (Invited)
Preventive Veterinary Medicine, ad hoc Reviewer (Invited)
Veterinary Microbiology, ad hoc Reviewer (Invited)
Irish Veterinary Journal, Editorial Review Board, (Invited)
Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, ad hoc Reviewer (Invited)
- Timoney JF, DE Taylor, SJ Shin, PL McDonough. 1980. pJT2: Unusual H1 plasmid in a highly virulent lactose-positive and chloramphenicol resistant Salmonella Typhimurium strain from calves. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 18:480-482.
- Glickman LT, PL McDonough, SJ Shin, JM Fairbrother, RL LaDue, SE King. 1981. Bovine salmonellosis attributed to Salmonella Anatum - contaminated haylage and dietary stress. J Am Vet Med Assoc 178:1268-1272.
- McDonough PL, SJ Shin, JF Timoney. 1986. Salmonella serotypes from animals in New York State, 1978-1983. Cornell Vet 76:30-37.
- McDonough PL, RH Jacobson, JF Timoney. 1989. Virulence determinants of Salmonella Typhimurium from animal sources. Am J Vet Research 50:662-670.
- McDonough PL, JF Timoney, RH Jacobson, R Khakhria. 1989. Clonal groups of Salmonella Typhimurium in New York State. J Clin Microbiol 27:622-627.
- McDonough PL, AB Onderdonk. 1990. Veterinary Clinical Microbiology: Part I. Clin Microbiol Newsletter 12:153-157.
- McDonough PL, AB Onderdonk. 1990. Veterinary Clinical Microbiology: Part II. Clin Microbiol Newsletter 12:161-167.
- Mutalib A, P McDonough, S Shin, V Patten, D Lein. 1992. Salmonella Enteritidis in commercial layer farms in New York state; environmental survey results and significance of available monitoring tests. J Vet Diagn Invest 4:416-418.
- Hinrichs K, MS Spensley, PL McDonough. 1992. Evaluation of progesterone treatment to create a model for equine endometritis. Equine Vet J. 24:457-461.
- Mutalib AA, JM King, PL McDonough. 1993. Erysipelas in caged laying chickens and suspected erysipeloid in animal caretakers. J Vet Diagn Invest 5:198-201.
- *El Shabiny LM, P McDonough. 1993. Analysis of fatty acids of Mycoplasma cells. Veterinary Medical Journal Giza 41:5 7.
- Gliatto JM, JF Rae, PL McDonough, JL Dasbach. 1994. Feline tularemia on Nantuckett Island, Massachusetts. J Vet Diagn Invest 6:102-105.
- Jackson CA, WC Rebhun, PL McDonough. 1995. Blackleg: A new perspective on an old disease. Compendium for Continuing Education for the Veterinary Practitioner 17:1299-1306.
- Taylor MM, TJ Kern, RC Riis, PL McDonough, HN Erb. 1995. Intraocular bacterial contamination during cataract surgery in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 206:1716-1720.
- *Wiedmann M, JL Bruce, R Knorr, M Bodis, E Cole, CI McDowell, PL McDonough, CA Batt. 1996. Ribotype diversity of Listeria monocytogenes strains associated with outbreaks of listeriosis in ruminants. J Clin Microbiol 34:1086-1090.
- McDonough PL, KW Simpson. 1996. Diagnosing emerging bacterial infections: salmonellosis, campylobacteriosis, clostridial toxicosis, and helicobacteriosis. In: RH Jacobson (ed) Laboratory Diagnosis of Infectious Disease: Interpretation of test results. Seminars in Veterinary Medicine and Surgery (Small Animal), 11:187-197.
- Barrow PA, M Desmidt, R Ducatelle, M Guittet, HMJF vander Heijden, PS Holt, JHJ Huis in’t Velt, P McDonough, KV Nagaraja, RE Porter, K Proux, F Sisak, C Staak, G Steinbach, CJ Thorns, C Wray, F van Zijderveld. 1996. World Health Organization-supervised interlaboratory comparison of ELISAs for the serological detection of Salmonella enterica Serotype Enteritidis in chickens. Epidemiol Infect 117:69-77.
- *Weidmann M, JL Bruce, C Keating, AE Johnsom, PL McDonough, CA Batt.1997. Ribotypes and virulence gene polymorphisms suggest three distinct Listeria monocytogenes lineages with differences in pathogenic potential. Infect Immun 65:2707-2716.
- *Barwick RS, HO Mohammed, PL McDonough, ME White. 1997. Risk factors associated with the likelihood of Leptospira seropositivity in horses in the State of New York. Am J Vet Res 58:1097-1103.
- McDonough PL, RH Jacobson, JF Timoney, A Mutalib, DC Kradel, Y-F Chang, SJ Shin, DH Lein, S Trock, K Wheeler. 1998. Interpretations of antibody responses to Salmonella enterica serotype Enteritidis gm-Flagellin in poultry flocks are enhanced by a kinetics-based enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology 5: 550-555.
- *Barwick RS, HO Mohammed, PL McDonough, ME White. 1998. Epidemiological features of equine Leptospira interrogans of human significance. Prev Med 36:153-165.
- *Barwick RS, HO Mohammed, ER Atwill, PL McDonough, ME White. 1998. The prevalence of equine leptospirosis in New York State. (Jap) J Equine Science 9:119-124
- Cornetta AM, KW Simpson, D Strauss-Ayali, PL McDonough, RD Gleed. 1998. Use of a 13C-urea breath test for detection of gastric infection with Helicobacter spp. in dogs. Am J Vet Res 59: 1364-1369.
- Hoskins JD, J Williams, AF Roy, JC Peters, P McDonough. 1998. Isolation and characterization of Bordetella bronchiseptica from cats in southern Louisiana. Vet Immunol and Immunopathol 65:173-176.
- Simpson KW, PL McDonough, D Straus-Ayali, YF Chang, P Harpending, BA Valentine. 1999. Helicobacter felis infection in dogs: effect on gastric structure and function. Vet Pathol 36:237-248.
- *Strauss-Ayali D, KW Simpson, AH Schein, PL McDonough, RH Jacobson, BA Valentine, J Peacock. 1999. Serological discrimination of dogs infected with Helicobacter spp. and uninfected dogs. J Clin Microbiol 37:1280-1287.
- McDonough PL, D. Fogelman, S. J. Shin, MA Brunner, DH Lein. 1999. Salmonella enterica serotype Dublin infection: an emerging infectious disease for the Northeastern United States. J Clin Microbiol 37:2418-2427.
- Simpson KW, D Strauss-Ayali, PL McDonough, Y-F Chang, and BA Valentine. 1999. Gastric function in dogs with naturally acquired Helicobacter spp infection. J of Vet Internal Med 13:507-515 (plus Editorial p. 505-506).
- McDonough PL, SJ Shin, DH Lein. 2000. Diagnostic and public health dilemma of lactose- fermenting Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium in cattle in Northeastern United States. J Clin Microbiol 38:1221-1226.
- McDonough PL, CA. Rossiter, RB. Rebhun, S M. Stehman, DH. Lein, SJ. Shin. 2000. Prevalence of Escherichia coli O157:H7 from cull dairy cows in New York State and comparison of culture methods used during preharvest food safety investigations. J Clin Microbiol 38: 318-322.
- Simpson KW, D Straus-Ayali, E Scanziani, RK Straubinger, PL McDonough, AF Straubinger, Y-F Chang, C Domeneghini, N Arebi, and J Calam. 2000. Helicobacter felis infection is associated with lymphoid follicular hyperplasia and mild gastritis but normal gastric secretory function in cats. Infect Immun 68:779-790.
- Rurangirwa FR, CA Teitzel, J Cui, DM French, PL McDonough, and T. Besser. 2000. Streptococcus didelphis, sp. nov., a catalase positive streptococcus isolated from opossums (Didelphis virginiana) with suppurative dermatitis and liver fibrosis. International J of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiol 50:759-765
- *Hassan L, HO Mohammed, PL McDonough, RN Gonzalez. 2000. A cross-sectional study on the prevalence of Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella in the New York Dairy Herds. J Dairy Sci 83:2441-2447
- *Spain CV, JM Scarlett, S Wade, and P McDonough. 2001. Prevalence of Enteric Zoonotic Agents in Cats Less Than 1 year Old in Central New York State. J Vet Internal Med 15:33-38
- *Hassan L, HO Mohammed, and PL McDonough. 2001. Farm-management and milking practices associated with the presence of Listeria monocytogenes in New York state dairy herds. Prev Vet Medicine 51:63-73
- *Jeffers GT, JL Bruce, PL McDonough, J Scarlett, KJ Boor, and M Wiedmann. 2001. Comparative genetic characterization of Listeria monocytogenes isolates from human and animal listeriosis cases. Microbiol 147:1095-1104
- Simpson KW, D Strauss-Ayali, RK Straubinger R., E Scanziani, PL McDonough, AF Straubinger, M Esteves, JG Fox, Y-F Chang, C Domenghini, N Arebi, and J Calam. 2001. Helicobacter pylori infection in the cat: evaluation of gastric colonization, inflammation and function. Helicobacter 6:1-14
- Palaniappan RUM, Y-F Chang, SSD Jusuf, S Artiushin, JF Timoney, SP McDonough, SC Barr, TJ Divers, KW Simpson, PL McDonough, and Ho Mohammed. 2002. Cloning and molecular characterization of an immunogenic LigA protein of Leptospira interrogans. Infect Immun 70:5924-5930
- Warnick LD, K Kanistanon, PL McDonough, L Power. 2003. Effect of previous antimicrobial treatment on fecal shedding of Salmonella enterica subsp enterica serogroup B in New York dairy herds with recent clinical salmonellosis. Preventive Vet Med 56:285-297
- Dheenadhayalan V, KS Shin, CF Chang, CD Chang, SJ Wang, S McDonough, PL McDonough, S Stehman, S Shin, A Torres, and YF Chang. 2002. Cloning and characterization of the genes coding for antigen 85A, 85B and 85C of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis. DNA Sequence 13:287-294
- Zhu J, CH Teng, CF Chang, CD Chang, KW Simpson, C Weil, P McDonough, S McDonough, and YF Chang. 2002. Cloning and characterization of a Helicobacter bizzozeronii urease gene cluster. DNA Sequence 13:321-331
- Gardner CE, DV Nydam, RG Ellis, S Kelsey, PL McDonough, and LD Warnick. 2004. Case report - management of an outbreak of salmonellosis on a commercial calf raising unit. Bovine Practitioner 38:147-154
- *Nightingale KK, YH Schukken, CR Nightingale, ED Fortes, AJ Ho, Z Her, YT Grohn, PL McDonough, M Wiedmann. 2004. Ecology and transmission of Listeria monocytogenes infecting ruminants and in the farm environment. Appl Environ Microbiol 70:4458-67.
- Palaniappan RU, YF Chang, F Hassan, SP McDonough , M Pough, SC Barr, KW Simpson, HO Mohammed, S Shin, P McDonough, RL Zuerner, J Qu, B Roe. 2004. Expression of leptospiral immunoglobulin-like protein by Leptospira interrogans and evaluation of its diagnostic potential in a kinetic ELISA. J Med Microbiol 53:975-984.
- Evans K, M Smith, P McDonough, M Wiedmann. 2004. Eye infections due to Listeria monocytogenes in three cows and one horse. J Vet Diagn Inves 16:464-469.
- Cherry B, A Burns, GS Johnson, H Pfeiffer, N Dumas, D Barrett, PL McDonough, M Eidson. 2004. Salmonella Typhimurium outbreak associated with veterinary clinic. Emerg Infect Dis 10:2249-2251.
- Rosenbaum, A, CL Guard, BL Njaa, PL McDonough, C Schultz, LD Warnick, ME White. 2005. Slaughterhouse survey of pyelonephritis in dairy cows. Vet Rec 157:652-655.
- Sukhnanand S, S Alcaine, W-L Su, J Hof, MPJ Craver, LD Warnick, P McDonough, KJ Boor, and M Wiedmann. 2005. DNA sequence-based subtyping and evolutionary analysis of selected Salmonella enterica serotypes. J. Clin. Microbiol 43:3688-3698.
- Alcaine SD, SS Sukhnanand, LD Warnick, WL Su, P McGann, P McDonough, M Wiedmann. 2005. Ceftiofur-resistant Salmonella strains isolated from dairy farms represent multiple widely distributed subtypes that evolved by independent horizontal gene transfer. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 49:4061-4067.
- Barr SC, PL McDonough, RL Scipioni-Ball, JK Starr. 2005. Serologic responses of dogs given a commercial vaccine against Leptospira interrogans serovar Pomona and Leptospira kirschneri serovar grippotyphosa. Am J Vet Res 66:1780-1784.
- *Alcaine SD, Y Soyer, LD Warnick , WL Su, S Sukhnanand , J Richards, ED Fortes, P McDonough, TP Root, NB Dumas, Y Grohn, M Wiedmann. 2006. Multilocus sequence typing supports the hypothesis that cow- and human-associated Salmonella isolates represent distinct and overlapping populations. Appl Environ Microbiol 72:7575-7585.
- 52. Greiter-Wilke A, E Scanziani, S Soldati, SP McDonough, PL McDonough, SA Center, M Rishniw, KW Simpson. 2006. Association of Helicobacter with cholangiohepatitis in cats. J Vet Intern Med 20:822-827.
- Simpson KW, B Dogan, M Rishniw, RE Goldstein, S Klaessig, PL McDonough, AJ German, RM Yates, DG Russell, SE Johnson, DE Berg, J Harel, G Bruant, SP McDonough, YH Schukken. 2006. Adherent and invasive Escherichia coli is associated with granulomatous colitis in boxer dogs. Infect Immun 74:4778-4792.
- Janeczko S, D Atwater, E Bogel, A Greiter-Wilke, A Gerold, M Baumgart, H Bender, PL McDonough, SP McDonough, R Goldstein, KW Simpson. 2007. The relationship of mucosal bacteria to duodenal histopathology, cytokine mRNA, and clinical disease activity in cats with inflammatory bowel disease. Vet Microbiol 128:178-193.
- Baumgart M, B Dogan, M Rishniw, G Weitzman, B Bosworth, R Yantiss, RH Orsi, M Wiedmann, P McDonough, SG Kim, D Berg, Y Schukken, E Scherl, KW Simpson. 2007. Culture independent analysis of ileal mucosa reveals a selective increase in invasive Escherichia coli of novel phylogeny relative to depletion of Clostridiales in Crohn's disease involving the ileum. ISME J 1:403-418
- Scaria J, RU Palaniappan, D Chiu, JA Phan, L Ponnala, P McDonough, YT Grohn, S Porwollik, M McClelland, CS Chiou, C Chu, YF Chang. 2008. Microarray for molecular typing of Salmonella enterica serovars. Mol Cell Probes. 22:238-243
- Mohammed HO, K Stipetic, PL McDonough, RN Gonzalez, DV Nydam, ER Atwill. 2009. Identification of potential on-farm sources of Listeria monocytogenes in dairy herds. Am J Vet Res 70:383-388
- Childs-Sanford SE, GV Kollias, N Abou-Madi, PL McDonough, MM Garner, HO Mohammed. 2009. Yersinia pseudotuberculosis in a closed colony of Egyptian fruit bats (Rousettus aegyptiacus). J Zoo Wildl Med. 40:8-14.
- Davis MA, KN Baker, DR Call, LD Warnick, Y Soyer, M Wiedmann, Y Gröhn, PL McDonough, DD Hancock, TE Besser. 2009. Multilocus variable-number tandem-repeat method for typing Salmonella enterica serovar Newport. J Clin Microbiol. 47:1934-1938
- *Alexander KA, LD Warnick, CJ Cripps, PL McDonough, YT Grohn, M Wiedmann, KE Reed, KL James, Y Soyer, R Ivanek. 2009. Fecal shedding of, antimicrobial resistance in, and serologic response to Salmonella Typhimurium in dairy calves. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 235:739-748.
- *Soyer Y, A Moreno Switt, MA Davis, J Maurer, PL McDonough, DJ Schoonmaker-Bopp, NB Dumas, T Root, LD Warnick, YT Gröhn, M Wiedmann. 2009. Salmonella enterica serotype 4,5,12 : i: -, an emerging Salmonella serotype that represents multiple distinct clones. J Clin Microbiol. 47:3546-3556
- *Cummings KJ, LD Warnick, KA Alexander, CJ Cripps, YT Gröhn, KL James, PL McDonough, KE Reed. 2009. The duration of fecal Salmonella shedding following clinical disease among dairy cattle in the northeastern USA. Prev Vet Med. 92:134-139
- *Cummings KJ, LD Warnick, KA Alexander, CJ Cripps, YT Gröhn, PL McDonough, DV Nydam, KE Reed. 2009. The incidence of salmonellosis among dairy herds in the northeastern United States. J Dairy Sci. 92:3766-3774.
- *Cummings KJ, TL Divers, PL McDonough, LD Warnick. 2009. Fecal shedding of Salmonella spp among cattle admitted to a veterinary medical teaching hospital. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 234:1578-1585.
- *Soyer Y, SD Alcaine, DJ Schoonmaker-Bopp, TP Root, LD Warnick, PL McDonough, NB Dumas, YT Gröhn, M Wiedmann. 2010. Pulsed-Field Gel Electrophoresis Diversity of Human and Bovine Clinical Salmonella Isolates. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 7:707-710.
- Cummings KJ, TJ Divers, PL McDonough, AM Switt, M Wiedmann, LD Warnick. 2010. Temporal clusters of bovine Salmonella cases at a veterinary medical teaching hospital, 1996-2007. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis.10:471-479.
- *Cummings KJ, LD Warnick, M Elton, YT Gröhn, PL McDonough, JD Siler. 2010. The effect of clinical outbreaks of salmonellosis on the prevalence of fecal Salmonella shedding among dairy cattle in New York. Foodborne Pathog Dis.7:815-823.
- *Garner CD, JK Starr, PL McDonough, C Altier. 2010. Molecular identification of veterinary yeast isolates by use of sequence-based analysis of the D1/D2 region of the large ribosomal subunit. J Clin Microbiol.48:2140-2146.
- Craven M, B Dogan, A Schukken, M Volkman, A Chandler, PL McDonough, KW Simpson. 2010. Antimicrobial resistance impacts clinical outcome of granulomatous colitis in boxer dogs. J Vet Intern Med.24:819-824.
- Hoelzer K, Y Soyer, LD Rodriguez-Rivera, KJ Cummings, PL McDonough, DJ Schoonmaker-Bopp, TP Root, NB Dumas, LD Warnick, YT Gröhn, M Wiedmann, KN Baker, TE Besser, DD Hancock, MA Davis. 2010. The prevalence of multidrug resistance is higher among bovine than human Salmonella enterica serotype Newport, Typhimurium, and 4,5,12:i:- isolates in the United States but differs by serotype and geographic region. Appl Environ Microbiol.76:5947-5959.
- Mohammed HO, E Atwill, L Dunbar, T Ward, P McDonough, R Gonzalez, K Stipetic. 2010. The risk of Listeria monocytogenes in beef cattle operations. J Appl Microbiol 108:349-356.
- Perkins GA, den Bakker HC, Burton AJ, Erb HN, McDonough SP, McDonough PL, Parker J, Rosenthal RL, Wiedmann M, Dowd SE, Simpson KW. 2012. Equine stomachs harbor an abundant and diverse mucosal microbiota. Appl Environ Microbiol. 78:2522-2532.
- Dogan B, Scherl E, Bosworth B, Yantiss R, Altier C, McDonough PL, Jiang ZD, Dupont HL, Garneau P, Harel J, Rishniw M, Simpson KW. 2013. Multidrug Resistance Is Common in Escherichia coli Associated with Ileal Crohn's Disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 19:141-150.
- *Soyer Y, Richards J, Hoelzer K, Warnick LD, Fortes E, McDonough PL, Dumas NB, Grohn YT, Wiedmann M. 2013. Antimicrobial drug resistance patterns among cattle- and human-associated Salmonella strains. J Food Prot 76:1676-1688
- *Bordonaro R, McDonough PL, Chang Y-F, Mohammed HO. 2013. Molecular detection of Salmonella species in bovine fecal samples. J Vet Diagn Invest 25:756-758.
- Yan W, Saleem MH, McDonough P, McDonough SP, Divers TJ, Chang YF. 2013. Development of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay using a recombinant LigA fragment comprising repeat domains 4 to 7.5 as an antigen for diagnosis of equine leptospirosis. Clin Vaccine Immunol 20:1143-1149.
- *Ye C, Yan W, McDonough PL, McDonough SP, Mohamed H, Divers TJ, Chang YF, Yang Z. 2014. Serodiagnosis of equine leptospirosis by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay using four recombinant protein markers. Clin Vaccine Immunol 21:478-483.
- Cummings KJ, Rodriguez-Rivera LD, Mitchell KJ, Hoelzer K, Wiedmann M, McDonough PL, Altier C, Warnick LD, Perkins GA. 2014. Salmonella enterica serovar Oranienburg Outbreak in a Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital with evidence of nosocomial transmission and on-farm Transmission. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 14:496-502.
- *Ye C, Yan W, Xiang H, He H, Yang M, Ijaz M, Useh N, Hsieh CL, McDonough PL, McDonough SP, Mohamed H, Yang Z, Chang YF. 2014. Recombinant Antigens rLipL21, rLoa22, rLipL32 and rLigACon4-8 for Serological Diagnosis of Leptospirosis by Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assays in Dogs. PLoS One 9(12): e111367.
- Dentinger CM, Jacob K, Lee LV, Mendez HA, Chotikanatis K, McDonough PL, Chico DM, De BK, Tiller RV, Traxler RM, Campagnolo ER, Schmitt D, Guerra MA, Slavinski SA. 2014. Human Brucella canis Infection and Subsequent Laboratory Exposures Associated with a Puppy, New York City, 2012. 2015. Zoonoses Public Health 62:407-414.
- *Bordonaro R, McDonough PL, Chang YF, Mohammed HO. 2015. The potential risk associated with waterborne pathogens in a watershed: Salmonella spp. in dairy cattle. Journal of Water Resource and Protection. 7:476-484.
- Mohammed HO, Stipetic K, Salem A, McDonough P, Chang YF, Sultan A. 2015. Risk of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Non-O157 Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli, and Campylobacter spp. in Food Animals and Their Products in Qatar. J Food Prot 78: 1812-1818.
- Plumed-Ferrer C, Barberio A, Franklin-Guild R, Werner B, McDonough P, Bennett J, Gioia G, Rota N, Welcome F, Nydam DV, Moroni P. 2015. Antimicrobial susceptibilities and random amplified polymorphic DNA-PCR fingerprint characterization of Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis and Lactococcus garvieae isolated from bovine intramammary infections. J Dairy Sci 98:6216-6125.
- Stipetic K, Chang YC, Peters K, Salem A, Doiphode SH, McDonough PL, Chang YF, Sultan A, Mohammed HO. 2016. The risk of carriage of Salmonella spp. and Listeria monocytogenes in food animals in dynamic populations. Vet Med Sci. 2:246-254.
- Ledbetter EC, McDonough PL, Kim K. 2017. Infectious crystalline keratopathy in dogs and cats: clinical, in vivo confocal microscopic, histopathologic, and microbiologic features of eight cases. Vet Ophthalmol. 20:250-258.
- Goodman LB, McDonough PL, Anderson RR, Franklin-Guild RJ, Ryan JR, Perkins GA, Thachil AJ, Glaser AL, Thompson BS 2017. Detection of Salmonella spp. in veterinary samples by combining selective enrichment and real-time PCR. J Vet Diagn Invest. 29:844-851.
- Khairani KO, Nydam D, Felippe MJ, McDonough P, J Barry J, Mahmud R, Haryono M, Radcliffe RW. 2018. Surveillance for hemorrhagic septicemia in buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) as an aid to range expansion of the Javan rhinoceros (Rhinoceros sondaicus) in Ujung Kulon National Park, Indonesia. Journal of Wildlife Disease 54:14-25.
- Fenske GJ, Thachil A, McDonough PL, Glaser A, Scaria J. 2019. Geography Shapes the Population Genomics of Salmonella enterica Dublin. Genome Biol Evol. 2019 Jul 22. pii: evz158. doi: 10.1093/gbe/evz158. [Epub ahead of print]
*designates a graduate student publication
Shin SJ, and PL McDonough. 1982. Practical diagnostic procedures for bacterial diseases, pp 1148-1156, In: Current Veterinary Therapy VIII, R Kirk, ed, W B Saunders Co, Philadelphia.
Cornell Book of Cats -
- McDonough PL, SJ Shin, and CN Vaughn. 1989. Bacterial Diseases, pp 269-278, In: The Cornell Book of Cats - A Comprehensive Medical Reference for Every Cat and Kitten, M Siegal, ed, Villard Books, NY.
McDonough PL, and CN Vaughn. 1996. Bacterial Diseases, pp 294-304, Chapter 30, In: The Cornell Book of Cats - A Comprehensive Medical Reference for Every Cat and Kitten, 2nd Edition, M Siegal, ed, Villard Books, NY.
The 5 Minute Veterinary Consult
(including printed and CD-ROM versions; author of following chapter topics in all editions from the 1st through 7th)-
- McDonough PL. 2015. Salmonellosis, pp., In: The 5 Minute Veterinary Consult: Canine and Feline, LP Tilley, FWK Smith Jr, eds., Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD (sixth edition).
- McDonough PL. 2015. Colibacillosis, pp., In: The 5 Minute Veterinary Consult: Canine and Feline, LP Tilley, FWK Smith Jr, eds., Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD. (sixth edition). Earlier version included KW Simpson as co-author
- McDonough PL. 2015. Leptospirosis, pp., In: The 5 Minute Veterinary Consult: Canine and Feline, LP Tilley, FWK Smith Jr, eds., Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD. (sixth edition).
- McDonough PL. 2015. Campylobacteriosis, p., In: The 5 Minute Veterinary Consult: Canine and Feline, LP Tilley, FWK Smith Jr, eds., Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD. (sixth edition). Earlier version included KW Simpson as co-author
- McDonough PL. 2015. Tetanus, p., In: The 5 Minute Veterinary Consult: Canine and Feline, LP Tilley, FWK Smith Jr, eds., Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD.(sixth edition).
- McDonough PL. 2015. Plague, p., In: The 5 Minute Veterinary Consult: Canine and Feline, LP Tilley, FWK Smith Jr, eds., Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD. (sixth edition).
McDonough PL. 2015. Tularemia, p., In: The 5 Minute Veterinary Consult: Canine and Feline, LP Tilley, FWK Smith Jr, eds., Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD. (sixth edition).
IVIS electronic veterinary publications-
- McDonough PL. 2001. Leptospirosis in dogs -Current Status, 6 pg., In: Recent Advances in Canine Infectious Diseases, LE Carmichael (ed.), Publisher: International Veterinary Information Service - IVIS (http://www.ivis.org)
Awards and Honors
- Phi Zeta, Alpha Chapter- Veterinary Honorary Society (1992)
- Co-Convener, Division Z (Veterinary): "Salmonella: Where Does it Come From?", 103rd General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology (ASM), 19th May 2003, Washington, D.C. (Invited)
- Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future (ACSF) Faculty Fellow, Cornell University (2011-present)
- American Society for Microbiology (Section B:pathogenesis) (1977-present)
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (1979-present)
- United States Animal Health Association (1982-present)
- Society of Microbial Ecology and Disease
- American Public Health Association
- International Association for Paratuberculosis
- Phi Zeta, Alpha Chapter (1992-present)
- American Association of Veterinary Microbiologists
- Northeast Branch American Society for Microbiology
- Northeast Association for Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Disease