Thomas J. Divers, DVM
Diplomate - American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Diplomate - American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care
Rudolph J. and Katharine L. Steffen Professor of Veterinary Medicine, Section of Large Animal Medicine
Department of Clinical Sciences
Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
930 Campus Road, Box 25
Ithaca, NY 14853
- Characterization of recently discovered liver-tropic viruses in horses The goal of this project is to study the pathogenesis of the Non-Primate Hepacivirus (NPHV) and the Theiler’s Disease Associated Virus (TDAV) two additional recently identified, blood borne viruses of horses.
- Investigation of a newly discovered Equine Parvovirus and its association with Theiler’s disease.
- Transmission of Newly Discovered Equine Hepatitis-Associated Viruses of Horses. The goal of this project is to determine if Tabanid flies can transmit the newly discovered Equine Parvovirus.
- Investigation of the cause of Elevated Serum GGT in Race horses- A metabolomics approach.
- Serum OspA antibody and bactericidal activity against Borrelia burgdorferi.
- Molecular markers for detection of B. burgdorferi in the CSF of horses.
- Serum heavy chain neurofilament as a marker of neurologic disease in horses; specifically in Equine Motor Neuron Disease (EMND).
- Experimental infection of horses with Leptospira bratislava- is it a horse pathogen?
- Glutathione concentration in liver and blood of horses supplemented with S-adenasylmethionine.
- Microbiome changes in rumen fluid following freezing.
Education and Training
- 1976-1978 University of Georgia, Residency in Large Animal Internal Medicine
- 1975-1976 University of California, Internship in Equine Medicine
- 1975 University of Georgia, DVM
Awards and Honors
- 2014 Distinguished Service Award, Cornell University Hospital for Animals
- 2013 Rudolph J. and Katharine L. Steffen Professor of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University
- 2013 ACVECC Educator of the Year - Large Animal
- 2006 AAEP’s Distinguished Educator Award
- 2006 Norden Distinguished Teaching Award, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
- 1996 Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care
- 2005 Nominee (1 of 10) for SCAVMA Award
- 2005 University of Georgia, College of Veterinary Medicine, Alumnus of the Year
- 1996 Norden Distinguished Teaching Award, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
- 1995 AVMA Samuel F. Scheidy Award
- 1995 A.M. Mills Outstanding Alumni Award, Alpha Psi Fraternity, University of Georgia
- 1993 Runner-up National SCAVMA Teaching Award
- 1991 One of four nominees for SCAVMA Distinguished Teacher Award, Cornell University
- 1981 Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- 1996-present American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care
- 1981-present American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- 1978-2013 American Association of Equine Practitioners