The Department of Microbiology and Immunology comprises an interactive faculty engaged in research in infectious disease and host immune response. We study a range of pathogens, including viruses, bacteria and parasites, and other insults such as toxins. Our immunology interests stretch from understanding immune protection to vaccine development.
- Deb Fowell named as co-director of the Cornell Center for Immunology.
- Dwight Bowman was presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award from the CAPC (Companion Animal Parasite Council) recognizing his contributions to veterinary medicine and his outstanding achievements in the field of parasitology.
- Pamela Chang won a 2022 Sloan Research Fellowship from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
- Zachary Hilt, postdoc in the Rudd Lab, received an AAI Intersect Fellowship for 2022
- Viviana Maymi, graduate student in the Rudd Lab, was awarded an NIH F30
- Cybelle Tabilias, graduate student in the Rudd Lab, was awarded an NIH F31
- Karla Garcia-Martinez, graduate student in the Leifer Lab, was awarded an HHMI Gilliam Fellowship
- Hector Aguilar-Carreno featured in American Society for Virology video on COVID-19 Vaccine FAQs
- Brian Rudd received the SUNY Chancellors Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities
John Parker received the SUNY Chancellors Award for Excellence in Faculty Service
Roberto Lopez-Astacio, graduate student in the Parish Lab, is one of the winners of the Annual BBS Symposium Poster Presentation competition
Sohyoung Lee, postdoc in the Song Lab, and Abrrey Monreal, postdoc in the Aguilar-Carreno Lab, won first- and second-place respectively for 2021's Biocytogen's Best Research Paper
Javier Jaimes, postdoc in the Whittaker Lab, received the Achievement Award for Excellence in Community Engagement as part of Cornell’s celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week
Promotions and Titles
- Saikat Boliar promoted to Assistant Research Professor
- Cynthia Leifer promoted to full professor
- Helene Marquis granted emerita status
- Colin Parrish, Ph.D. '84 elected incoming president of the American Society for Virology
Gary Koretzky named president of American Association of Immunologists 2021-2022
Avery August elected as councilor for the American Association of Immunologists 2021-2025