Skip to main content
Cornell University
College of Veterinary Medicine

International Students

What You Need to Apply

In Addition

  • If you are not a native English speaker and your education was not taught in English, you should:
    • Have completed at least one year (30 semester credits) of undergraduate studies at an accredited college or university in the U.S.
    • Provide official documentation of your TOEFL score (see details below).
  • All international students must provide an international credential report (see details below).

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 

Your TOEFL score must be at least:

  • 100 for an internet-based test (iBT)
  • 250 for a computer-based test (CBT)
  • 600 for a paper-based test (PBT)

Official documentation of the TOEFL score must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Use college code 1510 for the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine.

International Credential Report

  • All courses taken at a college outside the U.S. (with the exception of study abroad) must have all credits and grades converted to the U.S. system.
  • International credential reports should be sent to VMCAS. 
  • VMCAS only accepts electronic foreign evaluations from World Education Services (WES). Paper WES evaluations are not accepted.
  • The evaluations should be completed and electronically sent to VMCAS by the application deadline.

Note for Canada:

  • Canadian schools that issue transcripts in French must submit a report.
  • Canadian schools that provide English transcripts are exempt from submitting an international credential report.

Transcript Translation

If the courses listed on official transcripts are in a language other than English, the transcripts must be translated.

Study Abroad

If you are in a study abroad program through your home college, you do not need to convert your transcripts through an outside organization. 

However, if you took a prerequisite course while studying abroad and it was transferred back to your institution without a grade, you will need to have that course grade and credit converted.

CEGEP Diploma Courses (Quebec)

The courses count toward entry-level prerequisite courses, but the grades and credits will not be used in the GPA calculations (cumulative, prerequisite, or science).

Student Visa and Funding

A Certification of Finances form will be mailed to all admitted students and alternates. Admitted international students who have submitted their deposit for the DVM degree program must complete the form to show their ability to pay all four years.

Once the form and documentation are received, along with a copy of the student's passport, a student visa can be generated.

Students are billed by semester like all students.