Intensive Care Unit and Intermediate Nursing Care
The Intensive Care Unit is staffed 24/7 with licensed veterinary technicians (LVT), animal attendants, and veterinary students. Our goal is to provide the best patient care possible, and we are able to achieve this goal due to our team’s excellent technical and critical thinking skills. The Intermediate Nursing Care ward is available for the metabolically stable patient. The licensed veterinary tech- nicians are cross-trained to assist in both nursing care units.
- Three environmentally controlled oxygen chambers
- Placement of multi-lumen intravenous catheters
- Invasive/non-invasive blood pressure monitoring
- Central venous pressure
- Pulse oximetry
- End tidal CO2
- Point-of-care lab capabilities, including blood gas analysis, chemistries, prothrombin time, activated partial thromboplastin time, colloid osmotic pressure, troponin, ketone and lactate levels.
- Blood component therapies, including PrBCs, FFP, cryoprecipitate, and platelet-rich plasma
- Parenteral nutrition
- Continuous rate infusions
- Fluid therapies, including colloids and crystalloids
- High level of compassionate nursing care
- Environmental enrichment, including toys, grooming,and regular walks outdoors
- Physical rehabilitation, including ice, heat therapies,and passive range of motion