Jorge L. Colón, DVM, MBA
Financial and Organizational Management
Education and Training
Colorado State University MBA with Finance Certificate, 2015
Cornell University DVM, 1995
Cornell University BS, 1992
Dr. Colón obtained his BS (CALS ’92) and DVM (’95) degrees from Cornell University and his MBA degree with a Finance Certificate (’15) from Colorado State University’s College of Business. He spent twenty five years of clinical practice in Lexington, Kentucky as an equine ambulatory practitioner, also working as a private business consultant and educator since 2014. He joined the Center for Veterinary Business and Entrepreneurship in January 2020 as a Senior Lecturer in Financial and Organizational Management and is tasked with the development and implementation of veterinary business educational content into the veterinary curriculum, with the creation of outreach veterinary business executive education, and with the establishment of networking channels with faculty under the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business umbrella as well as key CVM alumni and CVBE partners. Dr. Colón is the author of “Essential Business Concepts for Veterinary Professionals” and holds an Affiliated Faculty position at Cornell's Dyson School for Applied Economics and Management.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Colón JL. Ambulatory Vehicle Ownership: Employer or Employee? AAEP Proceedings 2018; 64:488-492.
- Colón JL. Going Mobile: Taking Your Practice on the Road. AAEP Focus on Field Skills for Road Warriors 2018.
- Colón JL. The Business of Ambulatory: Inventory, Billing Systems, and Associates. AAEP Focus on Field Skills for Road Warriors 2018.
- Colón JL. Service Marketing. AAEP Proceedings 2017; 63:296-299.
- Colón JL. How Much Can I Pay a New Associate? AAEP Proceedings 2016; 62:551-558.
- Colón JL. How Will a New Hire Affect My Practice's Finances? AAEP Proceedings 2016; 62:559-562.
- Colón JL. How to Analyze and Improve the Accuracy of Veterinary Inventory Demand Forecasting. AAEP Proceedings 2015; 61:537-541.
- Colón JL. How to Mathematically Forecast Veterinary Inventory Demand. AAEP Proceedings 2015; 61:542-544.
- Colón JL. How to Implement a Lean Inventory Management System for a Solo Equine Practitioner. AAEP Proceedings 2014; 60:377-379.
- Colón JL. How to Mathematically Decide if That Distributor Special is Good for Me. AAEP Proceedings 2014; 60:380-381.
- Colón JL. The trans-rectal ultrasonographic appearance of abnormal combined utero-placental thickness (CUPT) in late-term gestation and it’s incidence during routine survey in a population of Thoroughbred mares (2005-2008). AAEP Proceedings 2008; 54:279-285.
- Colón JL. Radiographic Techniques for Repository Films on Sales Yearlings. Clin Tech Equine Pract 2004; 3:365-373.
- Colón JL, Bramlage LR, Hance SR and Embertson RM. Qualitative and quantitative documentation of the racing performance of 461 Thoroughbred racehorses after arthroscopic removal of dorsoproximal first phalanx osteochondral fractures (1986-1995). Equine Vet J 2000; 32(6):475-481.
- Colón JL, Bramlage LR, Hance SR and Embertson RM. Racing Performance of Thoroughbred Racehorses After Arthroscopic Removal of Dorsoproximal First Phalanx Osteochondral Fragmentation. AAEP Proceedings 1997; 43:134-135.
- Colón JL, Jackson CA and Del Piero F. Hepatic Dysfunction and Photodermatitis Secondary to Alsike Clover Poisoning. Compendium: Equine Rounds 1996; 18(9):1022-1026.
- Colón J, Kimball M, Hansen B and Concannon PW. Effects of contraceptive doses of the progestogen megesterol acetate on luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone secretion in female dogs. J. Reprod. Fert., Suppl. 47(1993):519-521.
New York State Veterinary Medical Association, 2020
American Veterinary Medical Association, 1995
American Association of Equine Practitioners, 1995
Kentucky Veterinary Medical Association, 1995