Cornell University Hospital for Animals (CUHA) welcomes matriculating veterinary students from other colleges (in their final or next to final clinical year of veterinary school) who wish to participate in clinical rotations with our veterinary students. Visits are limited to six weeks (with no more than four weeks on one service). Requests for an extension will be determined on a case by case basis. Demonstrated competence and proficiency in both spoken and written English language skills are required to facilitate the educational process and client communications.
Services that may be visited
Lab Animal Medicine
Large Animal Medicine
Large Animal Surgery-Soft Tissue/Ortho
Small Animal Emergency Critical Care
Small Animal Medicine (limited availability)
Small Animal Surgery-Soft Tissue/Ortho
Large Animal Theriogenology
Zoo, Wildlife and Exotic Animal Medicine
Schedule for Clinical Rotations
Clinical rotations are scheduled on a space-available basis, with the approval of the service chief, in approximately two-week consecutive blocks of time.
Application Procedure & Requirements
- Fill out the Clinical Visit Request Form and return via email to email@example.com in order to begin an Extern Request
- Submit a request to visit, include your curriculum vitae or resume, a letter of intent and objective aimed at each service of interest, your current year in veterinary school, your university and the proposed dates of the visit (based on the clinical rotation schedule above) with the service(s) you wish to attend.
- Because we are located in a rabies-endemic area, proof of a rabies vaccination/titer results within two years of your visit date is required! Without this proof you will be unable to attend your rotation.
- Proof of a negative Tuberculin (TB) test within one year of your visit dates is required for Zoological, Wildlife, Exotics and Lab Animal Services. Without this proof you will be unable to attend your rotation.
Infection Control Guidelines - These procedures are to be performed prior to entering the Cornell University Hospital for Animals.
- Clothing MUST BE thoroughly laundered before being worn. Bring more than one pair of coveralls or lab coats.
Footwear must be carefully and thoroughly scrubbed clean and disinfected using the following procedure:
- For rubber over boots, scrub well with a detergent. (Detergent with bleach, mixed at 2 ounce per gallon of water works well for this.)
- After scrubbing, mix a fresh solution of detergent in hot water and fully immerse the boots for at least 15 minutes. (IF available, a disinfectant can be used in place of detergent.)
- Rinse boots with water, allow to dry completely.
- For other footwear, clean and scrub as described above. Use a toothbrush to get into any grooves in the soles. After cleaning, if boots cannot be immersed, allow the soles of the shoes to stand in a shallow container in a solution of 1:32 bleach solution (4 oz. per gallon) for a minimum of 5 minutes. Allow boots to dry completely.
- DO NOT bring equipment (pocket organizers, thermometers, hoof picks, lead ropes, fanny packs) to our facilities unless they are new.
- Stethoscopes are the exception. Your stethoscope must be thoroughly cleaned. To clean, first remove any organic matter with a wet sponge. Using a 4x4, wipe with Nolvasan solution, covering all surface areas, allow to dry. Wipe off with water and soft cloth, spray or wipe stethoscope with alcohol and allow to dry. Use Q-tips to clean the small parts and remove the cover on the head of the stethoscope and clean separately following the above procedure.
- All visitors must show proof af a valid covid-19 vaccination and follow up to date public health measures.
Applications to attend our rotations are reviewed and approved by the section chiefs of the services in the Cornell University Hospital for Animals.
Weekly fees may be charged by the College for Extern visits. Student visitors are responsible for all personal arrangements and expenses associated with their visits. All students will be charged a non-refundable processing and application fee once your visit is approved by the service.