NYS Contract Testing Policies
The New York State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory and Animal Health Diagnostic Center (AHDC) under contract with the NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets provides reduced cost diagnostic testing to New York State livestock and poultry industries to aid in early detection and surveillance of diseases that may threaten the State’s livestock, poultry and public health. Contract case pricing is available for submissions that meet requirements listed below.
Eligibility Requirements for NYS Contract Case Pricing
Submissions must meet all the following criteria
- The herd, flock, or animal is located in New York State and is being raised for food or fiber production. Horses suspected of having a condition that may threaten the health of other animals or humans are covered.
- The history of the case suggests a contagious/infectious disease or toxic exposure that threatens other animals or humans.
- The animals are experiencing a condition previously undiagnosed in their herd or flock. Surveillance testing to monitor, control, or eradicate previously diagnosed endemic conditions does not qualify for contract case pricing.
- Samples must be submitted by a licensed veterinarian or veterinarian employed by a New York State university.
The fully completed AHDC Contract Submission Form must accompany the sample submission. The form must include:
- Complete history of the animals or samples submitted including the herd size and date of onset in the herd/flock, the morbidity and mortality rate for the herd/flock, as well as a summary of clinical signs, course of disease, and response to treatment (additional information can be attached to the form).
- Complete owner identification and contact information, including phone numbers.
- Available Federal premises ID number(s).
- Submissions will be reviewed by an AHDC Veterinary Support Services (VSS) veterinarian.
- Specimens from up to three (3) individual representative animals from an affected premises can be submitted as a single case problem except for necropsies which are limited to one (1) animal per case. Submissions for abortion cases are limited to one (1) aborted fetus or one (1) litter, with placenta(s). Testing of additional specimens exceeding these limits will be charged at full price.
- When special situations or conditions arise, a New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets veterinarian or designee will make the final determination with respect to eligibility for contract case pricing.
- If requested tests do not correspond to the clinical signs described on the submission form, they will not be considered for contract case pricing and charged full fees.
- Stat processing can be requested for contract cases but Stat fees will be charged in full in addition to the contract case cost.
Not eligible for contract pricing:
- Repeat submissions for the same condition on a given premises;
- Research submissions;
- Legal and insurance submissions.
Contract Case Fees
For all eligible and approved contract cases, fee support is limited to $150 except for necropsies. Fees for necropsies performed at the AHDC are structured by weight.
- For ante-mortem diagnostic testing, and for tissue and sample submissions from field necropsies, the submitting veterinarian is responsible for the first $150. Testing charges that exceed $300 will be charged in addition to the first $150.
Fees for necropsies performed at the AHDC, including histology and ancillary diagnostics at the discretion of the pathologist and/or VSS veterinarian
- $100 for submissions ≤ 40 lbs
- $225 for submission of 41-500 lbs
- $350 for submissions > 500 lbs
We encourage submitting veterinarians to consult a VSS veterinarian (607-253-3900) on contract case testing strategies prior to submission.