The Bacteriology Section of the Animal Health Diagnostic Center provides high quality, detailed, and complete diagnostic bacteriology testing service to veterinary clients, round the clock coverage for the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, and contributes to the education of the veterinary students.
Services provided by the Bacteriology Section are listed below. All cultures are supplemented with direct cytology using special stains.
- Aerobic and anaerobic culture for the presence of bacterial pathogens
- Culture for fungal pathogens
- Tritrichomonas foetus
- Comprehensive testing for the diagnosis of Salmonella, Heliobacter, and Clostridial diseases Full service reproductive microbiology testing and consultation for bovine, equine, and canine infertility
Prebreeding and abortion work-ups including herd health testing for AI centers
(The National Association of Animal Breeders has designated the Bacteriology Section as the reference laboratory for semen microbiology.)
Serologic assays for antibodies against Leptospira, canine and bovine Brucella, and the systemic fungi
(The Bacteriology Section has been designated by the AAVLD as the reference laboratory for canine brucellosis testing)
- Identification and susceptibility testing for aerobic and fungal pathogens
- Regulatory testing for the importation and exportation of animals and animal products
Research and development is part of the mission of the AHDC at Cornell. The Bacteriology Section is available to collaborate with you to develop new or improve existing test methods and reagents, investigate specific problems or provide customized testing to meet your needs.
For further information or to discuss your needs, please contact Dr. Anil Thachil. We look forward to working with you.