About the Innovation Lab
Focused on helping:
- Researchers without lab space of their own.
- Researchers without funding to support long-term employees
- Junior faculty working to establish research
- Clinical faculty who have a research interest
Other useful contacts for getting your research started:
- DCS Research Drop-In Session, held immediately after the DCS Department Meeting (4th Tuesday of each month), provides for an informal discussion of your research idea and help navigating our research ecosystem. Faculty meet 8:00-9:00AM and the Drop-In Session follows from 9:00-10:00AM. Please contact Maria Hopko for the zoom link.
- DCS Research Committee members
- Clinical Trials Coordinators (Carol Frederick, Cindy Bennett)
- Cornell Veterinary Biobank - (Marta Castelhano, Susan Garrison)
Grant Application Copy/Paste Info on Innovation Lab
The Department of Clinical Sciences operates a fee-based laboratory providing faculty the opportunity to have research conducted on their behalf or to use the lab space to perform their own research. The laboratory manager can provide project planning, supply purchasing, experimentation, and data summary/analysis for projects run through the lab. This laboratory is ideal for researchers without dedicated lab space or full-time technicians, or for those who need assistance with projects of a fixed duration. The laboratory consists of approximately 500 square feet of research space with 55 feet of bench space, a chromatograph refrigerator, -20C freezer, Beckman Allegra X15R and Eppendorf 5804R refrigerated centrifuges as well as basic research equipment including shaker/incubator, pipetting tools, and electrophoresis/western blot equipment. The Innovation Lab maintains an adjacent but isolated 110 square foot space dedicated for tissue culture, containing a SterilGARD III Advance biosafety cabinet, two VWR Symphony incubators, and a Leica DMIL LED inverted microscope.
- Basic laboratory supplies are purchased and maintained in the lab
- Unique, specific, or expensive supplies may be purchased for the PI using an account.
- Conducting experiments
- Basic data compilation
- Centrifuges (Beckman Allegra X-15R, Eppendorf 5804R; Eppendorf 5702)
- Biosafety Cabinet/Incubators (cell culturing)
- Fume Hood
- Microscopy (Leica DMIL LED Inverted)
- PCR (Eppendorf Master Cycler Nexus GSX1 and Thermal Cycler)
- -20C Freezer Rental (by the box)
- -80C Freezer Rental (by the box)
- Clinical Sciences Shared Equipment (owned by PI's but available for use upon request).
- CVM Shared Equipment Resources (add link)
|BREAKDOWN OF FEE
|TOUR OF LAB, DISCUSSION OF AVAILABLE SERVICES, CONSULTATION TO SEE WHICH SERVICE BEST FITS YOUR NEEDS
|TO CARRY OUR YOUR RESEARCH AS DIRECTED. POSSIBLE SERVICES INCLUDE: CONSULTATION, PROJECT MANAGEMENT, TRAINING ON PROCEDURES, RESEARCH EXPERIMENTS, SAMPLE PROCESSING/DELIVERY/ORGANIZATION/RECORD KEEPING, SHIPPING, DOCUMENTATION AND REPORTING, BASIC DATA ANALYSIS
|NOTE: GENERAL TRAINING TIME THAT IS BENEFICIAL FOR TECHNICAL STAFF WILL NOT BE CHARGED TO THE PI, WHEREAS AS PROJECT-SPECIFIC TRAINING TIME WILL BE CHARGED TO THE PI, AS DETERMINED AT INITIAL CONSULTATION.
|MAY ALSO INCLUDE: ADMINISTRATIVE (SCHEDULING, INVOICING, ONBOARDING/ ORIENTATION FOR LAB USERS), ORDERING PROJECT-SPECIFIC SUPPLIES AND REAGENTS, FREEZER MANAGEMENT THROUGHOUT DURATION OF PROJECT
|NOTE: IF WORK IS REQUIRED DURING UNIVERSITY ESTABLISHED HOLIDAYS, THE RATE WILL INCREASE TO $100/HOUR
|ADDITIONAL SERVICES: SUPPLEMENTAL DATA STORAGE, LONG-TERM STORAGE OF SUPPLIES/REAGENTS, ADVANCED DATA ANALYSIS
|LONG-TERM SAMPLE STORAGE
|SAFE AND RELIABLE SAMPLE STORAGE
|LIQUID NITROGEN = $1/VIAL/MONTH (CANES)
|ASSIGNED SPACE AND LOCATION
|ULTRALOW (-80C) FREEZER = $10/BOX/MONTH
|STANDARD (-20C) FREEZER = $5/BOX/MONTH
|REFRIGERATOR (4C) = $2/BOX/MONTH
|ROOM TEMP = TBD BASED ON SPACE REQUIRED