1. What degree is offered through the Biomedical and Biological Sciences (BBS) PhD Program?
The BBS Program offers a PhD in Biomedical Sciences.
Applicants will be able to choose and rank up to 3 of the following concentrations:
- Immunology and Infectious Disease
- Molecular and Cellular Medicine
- Population Medicine and Epidemiology
- Translational Medicine
- Zoology and Wildlife Conservation
2. Is there an application fee?
Yes, there is a $105 nonrefundable application fee. In cases of extreme financial need, you may apply for a fee waiver on the Application Fees page.
3. Where do I send my application materials?
All application materials should be uploaded online at the Cornell Graduate School application Apply Now page.
4. Is there a letter of recommendation form?
Yes, this is all located in the online application Apply Now page.
The BBS PhD program application requires a minimum of 2 letters and maximum of 4 letters of recommendation.
5. Is there an application deadline?
Yes, Novemver 15th and December 1st annually.
6. Can I apply to more than one program?
You may indicate a second choice field of study on your online application. If you are declined by your first choice you may request to be reviewed by your second choice field of study.
7. What funding is provided by the BBS Program? Are all students eligible for funding?
An applicant to the Biomedical & Biological Sciences PhD Program is automatically considered for funding. All students admitted into the BBS Program are guaranteed funding for the duration of your program, contingent upon satisfactory performance toward your degree completion. Funding, in this context, is defined as full tuition and student health insurance payments and a living stipend. Stipend levels are set by the BBS Program on an annual basis; the stipend level for 2019-20 is $34,170/12 months.
8. Are there additional requirements for international students?
Yes. All international applicants must demonstrate proficiency in the English language. This test must have been taken within two years of the application. TOEFL and IETLS minimum scores can be found on the ELP Requirement page.
9. Do I have to take the GRE in order to apply?
No, you do not have to take the GRE.
10. Is there on-campus student housing? Is there support for off-campus student housing?
11. How many graduate students are enrolled at Cornell?
Cornell has over 7000 graduate students with over 130 of those students enrolled in the Biological and Biomedical Sciences (BBS) Graduate Program. During the Fall 2019 BBS admissions cycle; 263 students applied, 42 students were admitted after the interview process, and 15 students matriculated.
12. Can I be admitted without an official TOEFL or IELTS score?
All application requirements must be submitted for a student to be accepted into a degree program. Unofficial scores can be used in the initial review process, but in order to matriculate official TOEFL scores must be submitted to the Graduate School (code 2098).